Is this allowed?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 11th July 2015, 23:12

Is this allowed?

I made it to max piety and the final 3 offerings of Vehumet, have collected the first rune, cleared orc, lair and swamp, and dungeon down to depths, and the number and quality of the available spells is awful. I can't find any of my favorite utilities, such as Freezing Cloud, Fireball or Iron Shot, and the final three offerings include neither Firestorm nor Glaciate. I'm muddling by with Stone Arrow, Force Lance, Bolt of Fire and OoD, but I have a nice randart Faith ammy with decent mods, and I was thinking of renouncing Veh and then rejoining, the idea being I'd be given a whole new slew of offerings. Will it work?

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 11th July 2015, 23:31

Re: Is this allowed?

I don't know if it works, but you don't need to. OOD should be enough to win, and Veh's wrath is more likely to kill you than a lack of Firestorm.

The best build now is probably to train defenses a lot and get a decent low-investment weapon to mindelay if you haven't already. If you find the books for it, pick up the good utility spells from Translocations or Charms.

Under optimal conditions, you have enough raw offensive power to kill any one enemy in the game. Defenses, escapes, and a backup melee attack mean that you don't need optimal conditions.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

For this message the author Igxfl has received thanks:
Sandman25

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 11th July 2015, 23:36

Aside: LCS is shorter range, but it has the same damage/MP and better accuracy as Iron Shot. Shatter and Tornado are perfectly good spells too. Chain Lightning is good too.

Aside #2: If you were with Sif instead of Veh, she'd've taken care of you. :)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 11th July 2015, 23:45

Hurkyl wrote:Aside: LCS is shorter range, but it has the same damage/MP and better accuracy as Iron Shot. Shatter and Tornado are perfectly good spells too. Chain Lightning is good too.

Aside #2: If you were with Sif instead of Veh, she'd've taken care of you. :)

LCS, Shatter and Tornado are too high to be usable right now, even though those are the three offerings. I was mainly looking to get Freezing Cloud (da bom) and Fireball, but really, primarily, Freezing Cloud. FS in the final offerings wouldn't be annoying, either.

As for being taken care of, this is the first time in about all 50 games with Og that I had neither the offerings nor books to make me happy, hence my contemplation. Hopefully there is an answer that doesn't require me to dive into the code.

@Igxfl: To paraphrase Han Solo, "Never tell me the optimal."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 00:03

Vehumet was very deliberately changed so she no longer gives you a completely reliable spell list that you can refuse to ever deviate from. I haven't actually tried it, but I doubt your plan works even disregarding the possibility that Vehumet will flat-out murder you for your impertinence. Vehumet is all about the passives, and the spell gifts are really just there so you aren't completely hosed if you don't get any book spawns. The gifts are not supposed to be the primary draw.

If you want to win this character, you have the tools to do so, but if you specifically want to win a Fire Storm character it's probably better to quit this character and go start a Sif Muna one or alternately just go ahead and turn on wizmode so you can give yourself exactly the spell list you want. It's a single-player game, and if you decide you don't like the randomness built in you can just use the available option to turn that off.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 4
duvessa, nago, Sandman25, Sar

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 00:27

If you must have those other spells, you could always do a zig. Get shatter or tornado working and you shouldn't have any problem doing enough levels to get plenty of books.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

For this message the author mps has received thanks:
Sandman25

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 00:35

God wrath gets cancelled when you rejoin your religion, so it might work out.
Comborobin Admin

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 00:47

Veh doesn't give you a new set of gifts, if you rejoin you just don't get gifts again.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 4
Aule, Blobbo, Rast, Sandman25

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 00:47

Bolt of Fire and OoD

Congratz on the win.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 00:50

Siegurt wrote:Veh doesn't give you a new set of gifts, if you rejoin you just don't get gifts again.

Thank you for a definitive answer to the question, rather than another variation on the theme of "you shouldn't be asking that question."

:)

Although I did lol at that "murdered for impertinence" thing.

@KL: this is WebTiles. I don't play local, and I don't use wizmode.

@Blobbo: Pathologically uninterested in <15 rune wins. If it's in the game, I want to play it. No motivation to rack up 3-rune wins.

Thanks, Siegurt. I knew someone here had to know this already.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 00:53

Aule wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Veh doesn't give you a new set of gifts, if you rejoin you just don't get gifts again.

Thank you for a definitive answer to the question, rather than another variation on the theme of "you shouldn't be asking that question."

:)

Although I did lol at that "murdered for impertinence" thing.

@KL: this is WebTiles. I don't play local, and I don't use wizmode.

@Blobbo: Pathologically uninterested in <15 rune wins. If it's in the game, I want to play it. No motivation to rack up 3-rune wins.

Thanks, Siegurt. I knew someone here had to know this already.

To be fair, I had to pull up a wizmode character locally and see what happened, I didn't know off hand.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Aule

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 00:55

well you can 15-rune with bof and ood

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Sandman25

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 01:01

Do you get your last 3 back from before or no gifts at all?

For this message the author ajon has received thanks:
Siegurt

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 01:04

Siegurt wrote:To be fair, I had to pull up a wizmode character locally and see what happened, I didn't know off hand.

It would have taken me a long time to set that up with the 0.16 version and figure out how to use wizmode, so thank you much.

Sar wrote:well you can 15-rune with bof and ood

I am sure, but I wouldn't have nearly as much fun doing it. I do have to admit that the one-two punch is indeed quite effective, but it's also fairly MP intensive and sometimes unreliable. Freezing cloud and fireball are 100% reliable, on the cheap.

Edit: I would certainly keep BoF and OoD; I like them both. I consider OoD on par with LCS, but the defensive field of ice is a great help in mob warfare, which I am a fan of with my Wz characters.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 01:15

Aule wrote:

It's like, you went into a grocery store and asked "Hey, if I replace my car's engine block with a watermelon, will it void the warranty on the watermelon?" Most people, upon hearing that question, see something more important than the answer.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Rast

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 01:23

duvessa wrote:It's like, you went into a grocery store and asked "Hey, if I replace my car's engine block with a watermelon, will it void the warranty on the watermelon?" Most people, upon hearing that question, see something more important than the answer.

Now, don't go defending groupthink with wild analogies that aren't even tangential. Everyone was getting along fine in here.

If you see something that would be truly more important for my own personal sense of enjoyment, then you have godlike vision, and you should be gloatingly proud of that. But, really, I doubt that you really do see something more important for my tastes.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 01:34

I mean the subforum is called "Dungeon Crawling Advice" so if you post a topic here you should probably expect a few people to give you advice

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Rast, The Ferret

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 02:50

I did expect it, and I took it all in good-naturedly. No harm, no foul. It's just, well, I had a simple question, and there's no Simple Question subforum. ;)

Oh and, for the record, I lol'd at your watermelon engine block, too.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 06:58

Aule wrote:
Sar wrote:well you can 15-rune with bof and ood

I am sure, but I wouldn't have nearly as much fun doing it. I do have to admit that the one-two punch is indeed quite effective, but it's also fairly MP intensive and sometimes unreliable. Freezing cloud and fireball are 100% reliable, on the cheap.

Do you really use Freezing Cloud and Fireball in extended? They are too slow/noisy correspondingly IMHO. I stop using Fireball in Depths and stop using Freezing Cloud in extended, the latter deals about 20 damage per turn max, too slow vs most monsters with torment/hellfire.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 07:39

fcloud is the easiest way to kill cerebov and great against brimstone fiends and various trash like demonspawn and half the 2s; fireball is free with delayed fireball which is instant damage so it's always good

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Aule

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 07:46

ajon wrote:

Do you get your last 3 back from before or no gifts at all?

I got all the gifts the first time, then left and rejoined and got no gifts (not even the previous final three)

I didn't do enough experimenting to know what happens if you leave before getting all the gifts and re joining (I suspect you would get the gifts you were still eligible for, but had not been offered yet, but that is only a suspicion)

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Aule

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 08:14

Aule wrote:If it's in the game, I want to play it.

I appreciate your attitude, but will you then be doing megazigs infinitely? :)
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Aule

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 10:13

duvessa wrote:fcloud is the easiest way to kill cerebov and great against brimstone fiends and various trash like demonspawn and half the 2s; fireball is free with delayed fireball which is instant damage so it's always good

Code:
The Brimstone Fiend is engulfed in freezing vapours.
The Brimstone Fiend takes 10 damage from cloud: freezing vapours.
Damage: -12%(-20hp)   hp: 88%(136hp)
The Brimstone Fiend takes 4 damage from cloud: freezing vapours.
The Brimstone Fiend completely misses you.
The Brimstone Fiend closely misses you.
The Brimstone Fiend barely misses you.
The Brimstone Fiend barely misses you. The Brimstone Fiend hits you.
The Brimstone Fiend hits you!
Damage: -5%(-9hp)   hp: 83%(128hp)
The Brimstone Fiend calls on the powers of darkness!
Your body is wracked with pain!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
Huge Dmg: -41%(-63hp) hp: 42%(65hp)
The Brimstone Fiend takes 16 damage from cloud: freezing vapours.
The Brimstone Fiend gestures at you.
The hellfire explodes! The blast of hellfire engulfs you!
Rolled 37 for 3d20
Rolled 23 for 3d20
The blast of hellfire engulfs the Brimstone Fiend.(damage 23)
The Brimstone Fiend completely resists.
Huge Dmg: -23%(-36hp) hp: 19%(29hp)
Unknown command.
Unknown command.
The Brimstone Fiend takes 13 damage from cloud: freezing vapours.
You feel less contaminated with magical energies.
Huge Dmg: -8%(-13hp) hp: 11%(16hp)

TL;DR I don't see anything spectacular in Freezing Cloud in extended. Too low damage and too slow killing.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 10:19

Siegurt wrote:I didn't do enough experimenting to know what happens if you leave before getting all the gifts and re joining (I suspect you would get the gifts you were still eligible for, but had not been offered yet, but that is only a suspicion)

That's correct, yeah.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
Aule

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 15:33

Sandman25 wrote:Do you really use Freezing Cloud and Fireball in extended? They are too slow/noisy correspondingly IMHO. I stop using Fireball in Depths and stop using Freezing Cloud in extended, the latter deals about 20 damage per turn max, too slow vs most monsters with torment/hellfire.

You misunderstand; my intention was to use FC for mid-game. You are right that it has diminishing usefulness later into extended (but it never truly becomes useless, although Glaciate is a clear replacement). At the time I posted, I still had Elf, Spider, Vaults, and Crypt to do, so it would have been handy. By the time extended comes, should the character survive my antics, I am close to getting the 9's online.

@Sprucery: I'd have to have a pretty beefy character to try a megazig even once. I thought that change was crazy, but I suppose it's better than removing zigs. I still miss the Deck of Dungeons that let you create a zig.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 15:41

If you want to grind infinite Zigs without their challenge level rising, you can just leave at the 26th level.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 12th July 2015, 16:13

Sandman25 wrote:
duvessa wrote:fcloud is the easiest way to kill cerebov and great against brimstone fiends and various trash like demonspawn and half the 2s; fireball is free with delayed fireball which is instant damage so it's always good

Code:
Rolled 37 for 3d20
Rolled 23 for 3d20
Unknown command.
Unknown command.

TL;DR I don't see anything spectacular in Freezing Cloud in extended. Too low damage and too slow killing.
"cast it on a monster in LOS and wait while doing nothing" is not how you use fcloud

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Aule

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 13:03

duvessa wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:

Code:
Rolled 37 for 3d20
Rolled 23 for 3d20
Unknown command.
Unknown command.

"cast it on a monster in LOS and wait while doing nothing" is not how you use fcloud

But it is exactly how you test fcloud's damage, which was the point of this demonstration.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 14:04

duvessa wrote:cast it on a monster in LOS and wait while doing nothing" is not how you use fcloud

Ok, you enter a new Pan/Hell level and see a fiend (choose any distance and layout you feel is typical for noticing a fiend, you can ignore hell effects if you want). What do you do?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 14:25

casts bolt of cold probably

this doesn't make fcloud useless

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 15:08

Sar wrote:casts bolt of cold probably

this doesn't make fcloud useless

Exactly. One continues to do battle using whatever means, LRD, shot, missiles, melee, throwing, OoD, whatever, and the fcloud damage is consistently added to the overall damage, making the whole episode shorter and more effective. (If ten enemies are suffering 10 damage per turn, then that's your character distributing 100 damage in a turn while doing something else.) It covers such a broad area, and in such a useful fashion ("stretching" to cover unaffected tiles), that entire mobs can suffer under just a few casts. It really shines on reptiles, due to its additional slowing effect.

It even has cheese value. Haste, fcloud, walk, walk, walk, fcloud, walk, walk, walk, fcloud, etc., or, my personal favorite, fcloud a room, close the door, and keep closing the door after it's opened as the contents of the room dwindle.

I know what some of you are thinking: "It's too useful. Nerf it!" Please don't nerf it. Make it level 7 if you must, but don't change a thing about it.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 15:43

Aule wrote:@Blobbo: Pathologically uninterested in <15 rune wins. If it's in the game, I want to play it. No motivation to rack up 3-rune wins.

You'll get over it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 16:20

Aule wrote:(If ten enemies are suffering 10 damage per turn, then that's your character distributing 100 damage in a turn while doing something else.)

In short, area effect spells are great at affecting areas. I think Sandman is (implicitly) arguing it's not really effective for single targets; e.g. for taking out a single Brimstone Fiend.

Please don't nerf it.

I believe 0.17 makes clouds decay rapidly when not in your line of sight. (and cloud-making spells won't create them at all out of sight)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 16:50

Hurkyl wrote:
Aule wrote:(If ten enemies are suffering 10 damage per turn, then that's your character distributing 100 damage in a turn while doing something else.)

In short, area effect spells are great at affecting areas. I think Sandman is (implicitly) arguing it's not really effective for single targets; e.g. for taking out a single Brimstone Fiend.

Well, that's not how it's typically used, so it's an empty argument.

Please don't nerf it.

I believe 0.17 makes clouds decay rapidly when not in your line of sight. (and cloud-making spells won't create them at all out of sight)

That latter is an atrocious nerf, if I'm correct in reading it, basically making the spell useless in twisty corridors where before such was among its most useful tactics.

As an aside, I feel that it is simply not a good direction of development to continue making the game harder and harder for casual players at the behest of those who use an encyclopedic, spoilery knowledge of the game, wizmode and local testing to squeeze out the maximum use from every aut (i.e., so-called "optimal" play). IMO, such is not playing a game; it is working a game. It's a choice of playstyle, to be sure, but a healthy development would cater to both styles, also IMO.

For this message the author Aule has received thanks:
Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 16:56

I thought the clouds decaying out of LOS thing was from a while back, not new to 0.17.

However, back on the subject of FC in extended, is it really ever worth the turn? Also, remember that while doing 10 damage to 10 enemies indeed is 100 damage, 10 enemies who have taken 10 damage are still hurting you just as badly as 10 unhurt monsters. And if you have a method of killing them that is going to one or twoshot them, does the FC actually make any difference at all?

I haven't extensively tried to do so, but my instincts tell me that FC is generally not worth a turn in extended.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 17:15

I'm not a huge fan of it in extended, either, so there's no argument here. It's best use is mid-game, which is where I wanted it in the OP.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 18:20

dowan wrote:And if you have a method of killing them that is going to one or twoshot them, does the FC actually make any difference at all?

In this case, it can make a monster you were going to twoshot be a monster you oneshot.

So, yes?
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th July 2015, 19:57

Sure, for certain values of damage that's going to be true, but given that fcloud's individual damage is likely to be very low compared to whatever your main killdudes method is, the likelihood of it actually reducing a twoshot monster to a oneshot monster is pretty low.

However, I think I'm just retreading the ground that Aule already covered. FC is awesome in early and midgame, and of only limited utility in extended.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 01:17

Aule wrote:
Hurkyl wrote:

fcloud is the easiest way to kill cerebov and great against brimstone fiends and various trash like demonspawn and half the 2s

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 02:15

Hurkyl wrote:
Aule wrote:
Hurkyl wrote:In short, area effect spells are great at affecting areas. I think Sandman is (implicitly) arguing it's not really effective for single targets; e.g. for taking out a single Brimstone Fiend.

fcloud is the easiest way to kill cerebov and great against brimstone fiends and various trash like demonspawn and half the 2s

I would still use it in those scenarios if I didn't have Glaciate, and it would help. Maybe not optimal play, but who cares?

Speaking of optimal play, it's unfortunate that OP already has two meanings, so we can't really abbreviate it that way. I suggest we use oh-pee for shortening "optimal play," or, if you prefer, "oh, piss."

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 14th July 2015, 03:39

It has three meanings at the least from what I gather.
Optimal Play. Over Powered. Original Post/Poster.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice