Chaos Knight?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 20th May 2011, 21:42

Chaos Knight?

I've been trying to get a chaos knight off the ground for a while now, and they're dying fast.
Xom keeps doing such straightforward harm- bad mutations, stat loss, hostile demons- that they're constantly burning resources to stay alive, and his whimsy's a death sentence in dangerous situations. I knew Xom was designed as a challenge god, but I wasn't expecting to be hobbled quite so badly.
I had notions of suffering regular inconveniences in exchange for great rewards. Can Chaos Knight actually be a valid choice (I do realise it's recommended to no-one!) that I just haven't got my head around, or is it really this cruel?
I've been trying heavy melee-focused races, mostly Minotaurs, in the hope that random stat loss and mutations are less likely to spoil my build. (And the extra HP may let me survive a little more craziness.)
And and all advice on or experience of worshipping Xom would be welcome.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th May 2011, 21:58

Re: Chaos Knight?

Resting to regain HP tends to bore him. Try a Troll, the regeneration helps.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Sometimes

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 20th May 2011, 23:09

I've been trying one, and having the same problems. The only things I can say is try and get blinking and teleport ID'd early, and rest in open areas near stairs. Oh, and eating poison chunks without rPois is a relatively safe and available way to entertain him in the early game.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 20th May 2011, 23:48

minmay wrote:I have never seen anyone actually use Xom in a way that makes him anything other than a large disadvantage.

http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/trunk/x ... 233938.txt

Xom gifts are pretty awesome.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 21st May 2011, 11:08

MarvinPA wrote:
minmay wrote:I have never seen anyone actually use Xom in a way that makes him anything other than a large disadvantage.

http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/trunk/x ... 233938.txt

0_0
(imagine the face of a creature who is attacked by a rainbow-coloured Felid who is wearing glittering butterfly wings and shouting: "I AM A GIANT FLUFFY MARSHMALLOW, DO NOT EAT ME!", and you can get the idea of the strange emotion this user had after peeking at that log)
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 01:20

MarvinPA wrote: Xom gifts are pretty awesome.

If I'm following this- waiting indefinitely in safe spots for goodies, presumably stairscumming to avoid hostile summons? The Temple would avoid the OOD monsters from serious waiting, right?

I gave this a try with a Mummy- he died. Instantly, without warning. I was not aware Xom could do that. Some kind of holy fire that killed him in a single shot.

EDIT: AND AGAIN! Instadeath from a clear blue sky, this time a spray of metal shrapnel. "Killed by the severe capriciousness of Xom." XL 4, full health, playing normally. Yow. So it's not just hostile demons, pain, poison, teleports, stat loss- Xom can straight up murder you on a roll of the dice.

This seems...not good. I had assumed Xom would never directly kill me and that I'd always have a chance to do something about his misfortunes. It's not as entertaining if a sudden GAME OVER is always an option.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 03:53

Xom can directly kill you, but I believe only when bored or with wrath.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 06:32

Or by accident. I guess being Xom's plaything is sharing the fate with that stickman from The Powder Toy. Being constantly showered by plasma, thunder, sparks and sometimes water. Boiled.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 22nd May 2011, 06:59

Xom "gifting" demons is the most annoying thing :(

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 08:09

Tiber wrote:...and rest in open areas near stairs...

That's actually a bad idea when Xom summons a cohort of demons around you.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 14:44

Curio wrote:

That's exactly why I do it. If he summons them in a hallway, you're stuck right where you are. In the open, sometimes you'll be able to slip through. Then again, if you're in a hallway, it's easier to kill time for a teleport. I guess it depends how you prefer to deal with escaping.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 23rd May 2011, 20:36

Tiber wrote:
Curio wrote:

That's exactly why I do it. If he summons them in a hallway, you're stuck right where you are. In the open, sometimes you'll be able to slip through. Then again, if you're in a hallway, it's easier to kill time for a teleport. I guess it depends how you prefer to deal with escaping.

I prefer dealing with escape while I got bashed by 2 demons and not 8. If i'm lucky they would be ufetubby-whatever-their-name. So I can kill it and try ro run away on foot (rarely). Most times it's teleport out and it really easier to survive 2 monsters while waiting it to kick in.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 27th May 2011, 08:40

I haven't ascended a choas knight but I reached zot with one.

Here are some tips:

Start with a magic user that has blink or swiftness OR play a beefy fighter type. This is so you can get run away from demon summons without dying.

Don't wield weapon when resting or travelling long distance.

A build i've been working on: Ghoul CK.

Theory:
Xom gets bored when you rest? Ghouls eat instead of resting.

Xom dances your weapon? Ghouls don't need weapons.

Xom mutates you? Ghouls dont mutate.

The downside is that he can't benefit from good mutations and weapon gifts.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice