How to heal stat loss?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

pig

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 17:33

How to heal stat loss?

I've got a pretty good char going, but am suffering severe stat loss:

str: 1 (16)
int: 19 (35)
dex: 15 (18)

It says that it will eventually go away, but I've been hitting wait for like 10 minutes and nothing goes away. How can I get rid of this??

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 17:38

Re: How to heal stat loss?

It would help if you provide a character dump. If you are playing trunk, stats only regenerate when you gain XP (like drain).

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
pig

pig

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 17:52

Ah, thanks. Out of date information is going to be the death of me

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 17:55

Wait for 10 minutes? How did you not starve? Mummy?
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

pig

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 18:16

waiting inbetween re-casting necromutate.

so is there any way to bring my stats back faster? Like if I went and found a ring of sustain abilities, would that make them recover faster?

This is seriously killing me!

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 18:19

pig wrote:waiting inbetween re-casting necromutate.

so is there any way to bring my stats back faster? Like if I went and found a ring of sustain abilities, would that make them recover faster?

This is seriously killing me!
SustAt would make you not lose more as easily, but no; it doesn't speed regaining them... Only advice that can be given is go somewhere you can kill a bunch of stuff easily and the kills will restore it. (How'd you get that low though? Mummy death curses?)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 18:23

Way before you got stats that low, you should have been thinking of using sustAb. RestoreAb has been removed in trunk, so you have to gain experience somehow. Maybe go into the Abyss. IIRC, the higher your stats are drained, the faster they come back, but I am not sure about this.

pig

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 18:31

The abyss is what did it to me, wretched stars are assholes.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 18:39

Eh? Well, those are transient mutations then, not stat-rot. Unfortunately, the answer is the same. You need to get XP. They go away pretty fast as you gain XP.

pig

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 18:49

Actually if you are undead (lich form) the stars get you with stat loss.

For this message the author pig has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 19:12

Yes and you shouldn't have been undead when facing them if you didn't have to be...for that matter, you really don't need to face them. Abyss is the land of have enough stealth to walk around and avoid fights, or eventually die, because everything rots or mutates you and WILL KEEP COMING INFINITELY.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 20:24

Not sure why you were facing wretched stars in lich form. As I said, a character dump would have been useful. Anyway, the answer is the same: get XP.

pig

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 21:36

bel wrote:IIRC, the higher your stats are drained, the faster they come back, but I am not sure about this.

I have managed to recover my stats, but it took an insane amount of time. It also appears the higher your stats are drained, the slower they come back. I wonder if that's a bug?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 21:46

pig wrote:
bel wrote:IIRC, the higher your stats are drained, the faster they come back, but I am not sure about this.

I have managed to recover my stats, but it took an insane amount of time. It also appears the higher your stats are drained, the slower they come back. I wonder if that's a bug?

WAD
take it easy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 23:10

pig wrote:

It's supposed to be the opposite.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 3rd July 2015, 23:31

Stats below 0 recover faster: more points get recovered at a time, increasingly so the further below 0 the stat is. Other than that there's no dependence on how heavy the drain is (there might be some other bug I'm not aware of, but it seemed to work fine last time I tested it).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 16:42

As long as you're wearing a robe, a strength of 1 should be fine for your character. I would go recover the stat loss by fighting in a place without malmutators. Stat recovery by waiting works although I would be concerned about piety decay. You could macro "wait"+"recast necromutation" to a key, put a rock on it, and come back in a few minutes.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 17:10

PG, I feel like that's all incorrect. Isn't stat drain now only recoverable with XP? And even if it isn't, how is it ever "fine" to be right on the verge of having a 0 or negative stat, with all the attendant terribleness?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 17:18

OK the advice may be outdated... What attendant terribleness? Is there any penalty to fighting with strength 1 if you're wearing a robe? 1/19/15 are fine stats. Just don't be around things that can send you to 0 stat is all I'm saying.

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 21:54

MarvinPA wrote:Stats below 0 recover faster: more points get recovered at a time, increasingly so the further below 0 the stat is. Other than that there's no dependence on how heavy the drain is (there might be some other bug I'm not aware of, but it seemed to work fine last time I tested it).
Why do we allow it to go below 0 instead of just clamping it there?

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Rast, rockygargoyle

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice