Is abyss scumming a thing people do?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 00:39

Is abyss scumming a thing people do?

Pandemonium seems infinitely better than abyss for scumming: more accessible loot, the presence of ziggurats, fewer screw-overs and teleports, fewer mutations and debilitations.

The only characters I can see abyss-scumming are underpowered followers of Lugonu, and ghouls, since ghouls don't mutate and can heal rot rather easily.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 01:17

Re: Is abyss scumming a thing people do?

Hm, lugonu worshippers will have a hard time abyss scumming because of piety decay.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 01:37

yes but that doesnt mean it helps

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 03:34

Not sure how it's possible to scum Pan since you have to be ready to take the runes when they pop up. If you're ready to do it, then what the heck are you still scumming for?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 04:18

Blobbo wrote:Not sure how it's possible to scum Pan since you have to be ready to take the runes when they pop up. If you're ready to do it, then what the heck are you still scumming for?
rings

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 13:41

Pollen_Golem wrote:The only characters I can see abyss-scumming are underpowered followers of Lugonu, and ghouls, since ghouls don't mutate and can heal rot rather easily.

Ghouls don't mutate but lose stats, very quickly. I feel like Ghouls have a harder time in Abyss than any other race
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 16:27

My GhMo was banished before XL16 for a longer duration than is normal, with 15/15/15 defenses, no SustAt, and almost no food - and I was fine. Natural stat loss is manageable and recovers on its own, so I don't see how that's a problem. The main source of stat loss was Wretched Stars and malmutators, which can be really dangerous if you let natural intelligence stay low, or if you just hang out in front of them. As for rot, ghouls only rot 1 HP at a time, and can carry on thusly for a long time, and can feed off Abyss corpses to cure rotting, though perhaps not indefinitely. Also, if you have it, SustAt nullifies almost all stat loss, and Cacodemons/Neqoxecs become jokes to ghouls.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 4th July 2015, 21:32

Abyss is safer if you can scum either (and rMut goes a long ways on top of how easy it is to break LoS here usually), but my general impression is that if you are comfortably scumming Pan, you should just get your fifteen runes and win, unless you are purposely looking to run megazigs.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 5th July 2015, 15:07

you can scum abyss a little earlier than pan (level wise)
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 8th July 2015, 10:20

I'm sure most will disagree :D

I feel that scumming the four hells is easier than Abyss, because:

1) A bit less chance of being mutated to crap
2) Better XP, popping fiends
3) Easy to get out of when you want, you can sit on a stairway out
4) Unless you roll with an axe and even if you do, those splitting blobs in the Abyss are about as dangerous as anything in the game, since their damage and paralyze isn't blocked by MR - and most AOE magic to deal with them will attract a mob in a hurry, which can still get dangerous to almost anything. You could always roll with stasis.... see #1)
5) The Vestibule of hell is easy if you just dig yourself a hole

I agree that scumming Pan is silly because unless you're not going to get all 15 runes, you should be ready to get all the runes and win at the point you can survive Pan.

For this message the author svendre has received thanks:
Rast

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 8th July 2015, 13:21

Don't forget that you can choose a particular hell branch to scum based on your resistances/strengths.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 8th July 2015, 13:30

I did abysscum on my first 3-5 characters and I panscummed on at least one of them.

Apart from tedium, one thing that turned me off from Abyss scumming was running into a pit fiend (summoned maybe, I don't remember) on a strong char with 3 runes and dying to lack of attention. But I admit, it felt really good at first, being able to turn something scary into my own little XP and item dispenser.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 8th July 2015, 14:47

I went for an abyssal rune the other day on a gozagite, and it was the one time I felt the abyss would have actually been worth scumming. I picked up >2k gold by the time I found the rune and got out, and it didn't seem too long. And as a gozagite, 2k gold is always worth something.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice