Dischord Success Chance

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 07:33

Dischord Success Chance

Hexes show chance to beat MR now which i s great, but Dischord isnt targeted, but screenwide, so I can't tell how likely it is to work.

Is Dischord as likely to work as say, Confuse? Or does it have a higher power / chance to beat MR? I understand the technical limitations of trying to get the percent chance across ingame for an untargeted spell, but a general rule of thumb?

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 08:38

Re: Dischord Success Chance

I don't wanna hijack the topic, but I would like some insight as well into the use cases for that spell. I mean it's the capstone of Hexes - so how and where do experienced Hexers use the spell?

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 08:58

You can probably expect similar success rates for both.

The effect is similar to mass confusion, except the crowd thins itself out without your further intervention. Scroll of immolation is optional.

Good places to use this:

vaults (ogres/orcs/vault guards/wardens/sentinels, ugly things, etc.)
orc (orc warriors and knights who'll slaughter the squishies for you)
zot (orb guardians, draconians)

It doesn't work on the undead, or on things that don't have a brain.

Living targets will also be berserked.

After sending a horde of enemies into a berserk rage, its a good idea to leave while they sort themselves out.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 10:04

Zwobot wrote:I don't wanna hijack the topic, but I would like some insight as well into the use cases for that spell. I mean it's the capstone of Hexes - so how and where do experienced Hexers use the spell?

I had a spriggan who used it pretty well. It cleaned out the Vaults 5 ambush gloriously, and combined well with Singularity at clearing out large groups

For this message the author Aethrus has received thanks:
Zwobot

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 10:30

Aethrus wrote:I had a spriggan who used it pretty well. It cleaned out the Vaults 5 ambush gloriously, and combined well with Singularity at clearing out large groups

... Spriggans were made for this, weren't they~? Add some ?immolation and it's just perfect!

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 10:43

Mass confusion has a higher chance of success than confuse. I am not sure about discord, but perhaps it functions similarly to mass confusion.

Way to use discord is to cast it from (nearly) edge of LoS of a group of monsters, then get out of sight. Even if some of them resist it, they will be torn apart by the others who didn't. Draconian packs, ogre packs, vaults:5 etc. are nice places to use it.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 11:48

Zwobot wrote:
Aethrus wrote:I had a spriggan who used it pretty well. It cleaned out the Vaults 5 ambush gloriously, and combined well with Singularity at clearing out large groups

... Spriggans were made for this, weren't they~? Add some ?immolation and it's just perfect!

I worshipped Dithmenos, so that addition was quite out of the question. Shadow mimic more than made up for it.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 17:32

Dischord works on yred allies (bone dragons, servitors). My army disappeard on the only char I used dischord on. I was so sad =(

For this message the author edgefigaro has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 17:58

I recommend not discording an ettin that is standing 2 squares from you.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 15th June 2015, 15:31

Lyrick wrote:It doesn't work on the undead, or on things that don't have a brain.

i remember using discord in tomb and it worked on mummies there - turned them neutral
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 15th June 2015, 16:52

Yeah it feels like its got a pretty good power level. If something is going to shrug off a discord then it had a fair chance of shrugging off a targeted Hex in my experience.

Its a pretty wicked capstone Hex, I enjoyed using it immensely and it will run right through to the end of 3-rune.

You do want to watch what you use it on, take a quick look at who is on screen, where they are etc. Monsters hit go neutral and berserk, they will engage the closest target. If thats you for one or more of the viable targets for the spell then you might want to think twice/reposition. Also bear in mind the relative power levels of your foes. If you got a group of trash orcs and a storm dragon on vaults 5 then what casting discord will actually get you is no orcs and a berserked storm dragon...which is not really an improvement. Its highly unusual in working outside the LoS of the player and this can be used to your advantage. I quite like casting it a turn or two after reading ?teleport. It also has some potential for wrecking vaults if used in combination with cTele (in a version that still has that), you drop in, discord and bail out a few times.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 16th June 2015, 05:11

kroki wrote:
Lyrick wrote:It doesn't work on the undead, or on things that don't have a brain.

i remember using discord in tomb and it worked on mummies there - turned them neutral

My bad: it doesn't zerk em.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 30th June 2015, 22:08

Wait, it works outside your LoS? how far?

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice