Claws for a Troll ?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 11:25

Claws for a Troll ?

As a troll berserker, should I stick to claws/unarmed or switch to a weapon at some point ?

I am currently training unarmed + crossbow

EDIT : just found this topic addressing the issue :

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16546

EDIT2 : is there any dictionnary for all the abbreviations (TrBe for troll berserker ok but there are so much more)

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 12:06

Re: Claws for a Troll ?

yes, you should stick to unarmed, and yes, it's stickied in the cip forum. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8072

throwing is generally the best ranged option if you have access to large rocks, which you do as a troll (or ogre).

For this message the author emikaela has received thanks:
davidoux

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 12:09

I once started a Troll with the intention to switch to a weapon later (GSC). I kept putting off M&F training "UC is doing pretty well, no need to switch just yet. I'll put my XP into defensive skills for now".

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 12:34

UC w/ claws 3 is one of the game's best weapons; there's no good reason to switch, especially when your aptitude for non-UC combat is so bad.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 3
davidoux, dowan, Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 13:33

Go with M&F if you want to get 15 runes, antimagic/holy GSC is amazing.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 13:35

Sandman25 wrote:Go with M&F if you want to get 15 runes, antimagic/holy GSC is amazing.

what is GSC ?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 13:57

generally troll should select unarmed, and ogre should select GSC.
but, GSC troll or unarmed ogre is viable.

IMO melee dmg comparison at skill27(not tested at wizmode, so maybe include mistakes)
Dragon troll = Dragon ogre > Blade Troll = Blade Ogre >= Statue Troll (no shield)> Statue Ogre(no shield) > holy gsc + statue form > holy gsc > non-transmutation uc troll (no shield) > gsc >= non-transmutation uc troll wearing shield

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 13:59

davidoux wrote:what is GSC ?

Giant Spiked Club.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 26th June 2015, 14:25

radinms wrote:generally troll should select unarmed, and ogre should select GSC.
but, GSC troll or unarmed ogre is viable.

IMO melee dmg comparison at skill27(not tested at wizmode, so maybe include mistakes)
Dragon troll = Dragon ogre > Blade Troll = Blade Ogre >= Statue Troll (no shield)> Statue Ogre(no shield) > holy gsc + statue form > holy gsc > non-transmutation uc troll (no shield) > gsc >= non-transmutation uc troll wearing shield
Sandman gave you the GSC translation, here is a translation for the second paragraph. "Dragon," "Blade" and "Statue" refer to the transmutation spells Dragon Form, Blade Hands and Statue Form which change the shape of your body to increase your unarmed combat damage. Since you are a berserker and can't cast spells, don't worry about these. "Holy GSC" is a giant spiked club with the holy wrath brand, and will do extra damage to undead and evil monsters such as demons. You don't need to worry about this either since holy-branded weapons are most useful in the extended game where you are trying to get extra runes beyond the three you need to get the Orb of Zot.

I agree with the above replies, you will not get a better return on your weapon for the skill points you need to put into it than your troll's claws.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

For this message the author MainiacJoe has received thanks:
quik

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice