+9 Executioner's Axe: Antimagic or Holy Wrath?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 18:03

+9 Executioner's Axe: Antimagic or Holy Wrath?

I have a MiBe that's abandoned Trog for TSO. I have a really nice antimagic axe but with only Tomb, Abyss, Pan and Hell left, (Zot:5 is done too) I'm wondering which of these brands is better.

My inclination is to just make this a Holy Wrath weapon and never look back, but I'm open to the idea that I might be wrong about that. Especially since I have other Executioners Axes lying around. One is +5, so with 8 scrolls I might be able to bump that up to +8 or +9 and have a Holy Wrath AND antimagic axe. I'm just wondering if thats worth it in the areas that remain. If Holy Wrath is just always better.

So should I stick with antimagic, go holy wrath, or is it worth it to shoot for having both?

Edit: No char dump as I'm posting from a phone currently.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 18:08

Re: +9 Executioner's Axe: Antimagic or Holy Wrath?

Antimagic is better vs. a single target, holy wrath is better vs. multiple ones. Reasoning: holy wrath allows to clear hordes of enemies faster, as it does much more damage. Anti-magic stunlocks strong threats with its effect, and prevents them from using their strongest attacks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 18:10

It depends on monster. HW is obviously better vs monsters with no spells. AM can be better vs low AC monsters with high HP and dangerous spells (Lom Lobon is the best example).

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 18:11

I think the consensus view has always been that antimagic is the best brand for the most dangerous enemies of the game, as they're all spellcasters.

That said, bless the other axe; I think TSO also gives a few levels of enchant when blessing it? Two axes are better than one!

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 18:43

Cool. Very good to know.

I went ahead and got one of each +9 Executioners Axes of both brands. I'm playing version 15 (been playing since 10-11) and it seems like they made enchant weapon scrolls work always. I read 4 scrolls and each one took it up a level from +5 to +9. Did I just get lucky, or is this a new thing? It seems like this version is a bit easier. (No more permanent corrosion, no more loss of consumables)

Are all Pan and Hell lords weak to HW?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 18:45

When scrolls of EW got merged the chance to fail got removed as well.

Yes.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 18:46

Why are you still playing 0.15? And yes, enchant scrolls always work now.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 19:10

Its the version on this computer. I just fired it up on a whim. Hadnt played in a while.

And you guys weren't kidding. Lom Lobon absolutely rolled over to antimagic...

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 19:43

I'm failing to see the downside of selecting the "both" option.

EDIT: If I had to choose one to enchant up first, as I'm guessing is the intent of the question, I'd probably do HW first since AM seems to work well at draining magic regardless of enchantment level. I could be wrong.
Last edited by Blobbo on Thursday, 18th June 2015, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 19:50

Blobbo wrote:I'm failing to see the downside of selecting the "both" option.

This is what I ended up doing, but if antimagic was definitively better, then I'd have considered using the Holy brand on a ranged weapon.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 19:53

diviton wrote:
Blobbo wrote:I'm failing to see the downside of selecting the "both" option.

This is what I ended up doing, but if antimagic was definitively better, then I'd have considered using the Holy brand on a ranged weapon.

Ah I see.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 20:39

diviton wrote:This is what I ended up doing, but if antimagic was definitively better, then I'd have considered using the Holy brand on a ranged weapon.

If you had a bunch of skill in bows/xbows (and a good ranged weapon), I would probably have done this.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Unarmed Combat 27.0

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 21:34

njvack wrote:
diviton wrote:This is what I ended up doing, but if antimagic was definitively better, then I'd have considered using the Holy brand on a ranged weapon.

If you had a bunch of skill in bows/xbows (and a good ranged weapon), I would probably have done this.

Yeah it would have been ideal, but I hadn't put any xp into either. I had invested in throwing, but no other ranged skill. I had originally intended on making this a 3 runer since it's my first run in almost a year, but after receiving a +8 antimagic executioners axe and later getting a +12 CPA with str+4, I figured why not go for 15. Might even try a Zig.

Otherwise, I might have put a little more into ranged stuff. I could now, I suppose but the Javelins are surprisingly powerful and I'm working on some helpful casting right now instead.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 19th June 2015, 11:51

I'd pour all my ?brandweppon on exec axe to get chaos. Got it once on HO, that was fantastic!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice