How exactly does shadow casting work?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 10:31

How exactly does shadow casting work?

When worshipping Dithmenos and my shadow copies a conjuration, how exactly does it work?

Does the shadow spell have the same elemental properties as the original spell, so a shadow cold bolt would be affected by rC+ on the target, or does it bypass resistances?

Is the damage of the shadow spell calculated the same way as for the original spell, does it depend on piety, invocations or anything?

If the original spell is a bolt, will the shadow spell have the same ability to pierce through multiple targets in a line?

What if the original spell has multiple targets, e.g. Dazzling Spray or Glaciate? I assume smite targeted spells like clouds/airstrike are not copied...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 11:04

Re: How exactly does shadow casting work?

learndb wrote:Your shadow mimicks your attacks with a frequency depending on piety, 10% chance at **** and 50% at 200 piety. Melee and ranged weapons use an unbranded +0 weapon of your wielded type, and conjurations use "shadow shard" or "shadow bolt", dealing nonelemental damage regardless of your conjuration. Hexes make a second hex attempt.

Shadow bolt pierces just like other bolt spells. Shadow shard is the single-target version.

e: I don't know about the damage.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 12:05

For dazzling spray it hits each target independently with a shard, it's a single target multi-target spell. The damage is flat for shard and bolt it would appear, I believe based on XL but I might be mistaken.

Single target spells will shoot a shard, bolt spells a bolt. Both are non-elemental and are used no matter how strong or weak the spell in question is. A shadow shard from sting seems to hit just as hard as a shadow shard from Throw Icicle.

It does shoot another projectile with a ranged weapon, and will occasionally take another crack at a hex for you as well.

For this message the author Nobuharu has received thanks:
Zwobot

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 12:27

This makes dith pretty great for AEs, as their level 1 spell is a bolt.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
Zwobot

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 15:46

Nobuharu wrote:it would appear, I believe based on XL but I might be mistaken.
I'd expect, but I don't know for sure, that it would be based in Invocations or piety. Dith is ambiguous to me whether he's a god that cares about Invocations or not. The duration of shadow form is the only invocations dependent ability the wiki lists.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 16:41

And the success rate of shadow form/shadow step; Shadow step only needs about 3 invo to have 0% fail, but shadow form needs a lot - 12 or more to be reliable.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 18th June 2015, 20:29

For this message the author rockygargoyle has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, Sprucery

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice