New labyrinth end? Highly inappropriate

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 19:31

New labyrinth end? Highly inappropriate

After 15 minutes of mind-numbing carpal-tunnel inducing labyrinth crawling, I FINALLY get to the end, only to have a ****ing teleport trap placed right before the door to the final room.

Really? no .... seriously ... really?
Attachments
wtf.jpg
wtf.jpg (22.24 KiB) Viewed 6082 times

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 19:56

Re: New labyrinth end? Highly inappropriate

Ok, yeah, that blows. More so than that stupid secret door labyrinth I ran into a few games ago.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 20:06

Yeah, the teleport trap one sucks mightily and irrevocably. There's no arguing there :)

I did run into a somewhat mind-boggling variant yesterday - a translucent (or transparent, whatever) rock and stone one. To make up for, you know, being able to see everything it was far more twisted and distorted than any other labyrinth I've ever seen. I mean it, it usually takes me about 5 minutes to clear a normal labyrinth but this freaking thing took twenty. I guess a part of that came with the transparency thing - it was far more confusing than helpful. Or, well, I might just be thick :) I'm starting to suspect it's more likely than I thought, what with the string of YASDs I've been on...

So anyway, just an interesting observation.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 20:40

What the OP does not show is the two potions of porridge handed out next to the door. Yes, the map is evil (which is why it only has a WEIGHT of 1), but it is just practical humour. You didn't expect me to change anything after "mind-numbing", "stupid secret-door labyrinth" and "sucks irrevocably", right?

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 21:14

I laughed when I ran into this one! If you don't like what you have to do in the Labyrinth, don't go into the Labyrinth!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 21:28

Eh, the same vault fooled me once too and I was certainly annoyed but it's still fairly funny. It gives you porridge (much more than you need to find your way out again, although it's not like food usage is ever an issue anyway), labs are easy , and you'll know for the future to look out.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 23:33

dpeg wrote:
minmay wrote:Why not stick an ancient lich in an entry vault? Sure, it will kill players who haven't made any sort of error in playing, but think how funny it will be!

A couple more like this and I'll drop from this forum. It is sad that I can only counter stupidity with absence, but I don't see any other way.

Honestly, this smacks of "If you don't do things my way, I'm going to take all my toys and go home" ...

This is a public forum, and you should know that you're not always going to like everything that's written here.

Though a but blunt, minmay's point was a reductio ad absurdum and was well placed imo.

Developers should be a bit more thick-skinned about criticism. Maybe they dont get enough (if any) thanks in general, but not everyone's going to like everything you do. In particular this vault though cute to some turns out to be highly annoying to others.

For this message the author Moose has received thanks:
styrix

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 00:15

I think the Labyrinth is tedious enough as it is without random teleport traps.

I still dont know why this is still the most common vault type (or so it seems)...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 03:04

I don't really see the problem with the vault.

A spoiled or semi-spoiled player will know to mash 5 to search every few steps when entering an unfamiliar vault, particularly in a level where teleport control is either unavailable or blocked.

An unspoiled player should be grateful to learn to search suspicious end-of-level vaults here, where the cost is a couple pieces of fruit in hunger, rather than in one of the rune vaults, where the cost is the death of a fairly experienced character.

I actually ran into this vault in my first labyrinth. I happened to get a minotaur with a lucky vampiric battleaxe, and I was… not really up to it, at least not with the player skill I had at the time. That character was saved when the minotaur itself blundered into one of the teleport traps.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 03:27

Teleport traps letting players out of the minotaur fight is a good reason not to have them in labyrinths.

Rune vaults don't really have that many traps, save for Tomb.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 04:21

Constructive criticism is okay. Insulting other users isn't. Be polite.

For this message the author lucy_ferre has received thanks: 2
Napkin, Priority7

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 14:45

Yes, so my warning told me. :P

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 20:20

minmay wrote:If a spoilery vault is useful because it prepares the player for more spoilery vaults, that means there are too many spoilery vaults.

I don't think learning to use the search function in an unfamiliar vault constitutes a spoilery vault. it's arguably common sense.

MrMisterMonkey wrote:Teleport traps letting players out of the minotaur fight is a good reason not to have them in labyrinths.

That particular character survived by dumb luck, but using the terrain to your advantage is a basic survival skill. Discovered traps are a valuable resource, and there's nothing wrong with using them to your advantage.

MrMisterMonkey wrote:Rune vaults don't really have that many traps, save for Tomb.

Most of the Swamp vaults have a crippling entry tunnel. Teleport traps in Snake 5, Elf 7, or Zot 5 have an exceptionally high chance of depositing you into a kill zone. Crypt vaults have loads of traps. A single Zot trap almost anywhere will have a much nastier effect than a teleport trap in a labyrinth.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 20:46

Well it shouldn't have survived.

As for traps in vaults, I was only talking about traps in vaults containing runes of zot. Swamp fog generators aren't traps. I think one Snake:5 map has a chance of a few teleports and a zot trap, but it's not bad at all.

While zot traps are nastier than teleport traps in labs, (apart from banishment) they don't force you to (re)do any (dull, tedious, etc.) mazes.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 08:08

Swamp usually has more than fog in front of the vault; we're talking miasma that will slow, rot, and poison your level 15 character while a Bone Dragon hits you for 50+ damage.

And seriously the Labyrinth ending isn't that bad. You should have memorized the path already subconciously and it will look familiar once you reach a fork
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 08:13

hint: don't do swamp:5 at level 15

also, that's an actual threat; teleport traps in labs are annoying inconveniences (these are two entirely different things and you should not compare them)

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 02:50

Sigh... Posts like this make me not want to be a moderator. Should I warn / delete / reply / ignore? Each option is fraught with peril...

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 09:14

danr wrote:Sigh... Posts like this make me not want to be a moderator. Should I warn / delete / reply / ignore? Each option is fraught with peril...

No idea. If there are too many folks like angrykoopa around, I'll leave. My time is limited and I won't waste it on rubbish talk. Although I think it is possible to killfile people on this forum.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 16:20

lucy_ferre wrote:Constructive criticism is okay. Insulting other users isn't. Be polite.

dpeg wrote:It is sad that I can only counter stupidity with absence

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice