How to deal with shock serpents?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 22:34

How to deal with shock serpents?

I've died to shock serpents a couple times and I'm not sure what the best way to deal with them is.

Always use long-range wands while they approach? Use other consumables if the position is even slightly bad? Just try to avoid them?
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 22:54

Re: How to deal with shock serpents?

If I can't handle one shock serpent one on one, I don't enter Snake. Even Shoals can be easier for some characters.
If I have no choice, I explore manually, lure monsters to fight one on one and when fighting shock serpent I use heal wounds. Sometimes I even quaff potion of resistance to survive :(

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 23:00

_Sandman25: Why :(? This sounds great, all parts of it!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 23:01

Ways to deal with shock serpents
  • polymorph them
  • paralyze them and kill them (will take damage, still)
  • be fairly strong with relec and just destroy them
  • be super strong without relec
  • have plenty of ?blink/?fear and other escapes in case the shock serpent fight goes wrong (always good for snake anyway because of guardian serpents). I generally refuse snake unless there is absolutely no alternative if I'm out of ?blink.
  • kill them at range with spells, especially spells that don't check ev
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 23:04

Just have a bucketload of AC

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 23:20

dpeg wrote:_Sandman25: Why :(? This sounds great, all parts of it!

Because it means I have just increased my chances to die to Nikola/Titan/Caustic Shrike/Electric Golem/Orb of Fire later. Using a consumables always makes me unhappy, especially a rare one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th June 2015, 23:26

same way you do with all the other anti-melee monsters: use something ranged if your character isn't strong. really it's pretty much a spriggan whatever that can't open doors and is a bit more curareable and a lot more hexable. taking the retribution damage is a lot better than just letting it hit you btw (the mechanic is functionally almost identical to spiny)
they are pretty much the most dangerous monster in snake so don't treat them like something else

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 13th June 2015, 07:00

I usually polymorph or confuse shock serpents.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 13th June 2015, 15:16

Yeah, hate shock serpents. You've either got rElec and forget they are ever a threat or you dont and it becomes peak threat in Snake for many characters.

Zapping them with attack wands isnt too helpful unless you invested somewhat into Evo, they are not a knockover and will use up a lot of charges, probably getting into melee and eating half your health in the process. Plus I prefer to carry lightning wands over anything else since its least resisted, but doesnt scratch SSerpents of course. I also tend to have the same problem with throwing stuff at them, you need a good chunk of skill to do anything significant before they close. Utility wands are pretty good... paralyse, confuse, slow. Not really tried a launcher that I can recall but that probably works fine.

Ultimately I prefer high HP and fast reliable damage output. Try to split them from anything they might be with and burst them down. Whats important is effective damage per round. Any tricks that affect relative attack speed or improve your accuracy are pretty key, because you are spending a fraction of your HP bar to kill them and you dont want it to be too big of a chunk because they are really really noisy to boot.

Spells is probably best if you lack resists and dont want to lose hp. blow them up or Hex them, their MR is pretty trash.

No matter what however theres a good chance they will wing you once or twice with a discharge when they get hurt, plan accordingly, because they hurt you right back.

edit: while i dont normally branch hop on the S-branches... I will almost always bail on Snake if I hit too many on 1-2 and lack the resist. I'll often even do elf 1-2 (minus blade) looking for shops before going back. Because while theres plenty of elec in Elf, it just doesnt seem to hurt as much as a pissed off shock serpent that you are not killing quickly enough.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 13th June 2015, 18:45

Paralysis wands and ranged weapons at max range are my current favorite, but also smashing them with lots of (preferably unavoidable) damage and really high AC also work pretty well...
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 13th June 2015, 19:52

The last few times I faced them with rElec, the damage was still not something I could ignore.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 13th June 2015, 19:55

High AC does not help much either.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 13th June 2015, 20:07

What determines how big the shock serpent explosion radius is?
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 13th June 2015, 20:12

The more damage dealt to the shock serpent, the larger and more damaging its explosion.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 13th June 2015, 20:22

OK so you want to calculate what is the maximum damage that doesn't make the explosion reach you. Maybe throw tomahawks instead of javelins as the serpent comes closer etc. Not very fun imo.
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 13th June 2015, 21:06

Hex wands are the way to go. Shock serpents have low MR so it's pretty easy to paralyze/confuse/polymorph them. edit: forgot slow and enslavement wands

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 14th June 2015, 21:46

If you have a good summon ability like shadow creatures, menagerie, or mahkleb they can usually kill or damage them enough that they're not a huge threat.
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th June 2015, 06:48

Sprucery wrote:OK so you want to calculate what is the maximum damage that doesn't make the explosion reach you. Maybe throw tomahawks instead of javelins as the serpent comes closer etc. Not very fun imo.

1) You can't calculate how much damage a random roll will do, and
2) I'm highly doubtful ever intentionally doing less damage than you could possibly due is a good way to improve your odds of survival. I mean, you don't want to waste limited effects when you don't need them, but in the case of tomahawks vs javelins, I'm assuming your javelins aren't critically limited.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
WhiteShark

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th June 2015, 07:34

tasonir wrote:1) You can't calculate how much damage a random roll will do

Well, you would calculate the maximum damage.

I still don't think that it is a good mechanic that killing the serpent with two medium damage attacks might be better than killing it with one powerful attack.

Also, I don't expect anyone to ever do this kind of thing but the hypothetical optimal player might.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice