The troll power curve over the course of a game

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 20:33

The troll power curve over the course of a game

So this was orginally in response to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16302&start=50 Page two starts to mention trolls a lot, but since it's a thread about nagas and in GDD, I didn't want to keep derailing it. Thoughts on the troll power curve:

Trolls have a slightly more up-and-down power curve than most races, which just start out weak and grow in power fairly smoothly as the game goes on.

Trolls start out as probably the strongest race bar none D:1. They stay strong throughout temple depth, BUT other characters are improving at a faster rate as they find better weapons and armor. By the time you get to lair entrance, trolls aren't quite as OP as before. They still aren't weak. They will have an issue with hydras, but there's several good ways to solve this (large rocks are #1 if you've found about 6+ of them).

Lair is average. Post lair + orc is when trolls start to get somewhat below average, assuming you don't have a dragon armor and haven't found something else to make up for lack of defenses. Yes, you still have 30% hp, which is huge.

At some point you find a dragon armor, get some real defenses, and you're above average again. This lasts through the end of a 3 rune game. Extended depends on how you set up for it: do you have statue form? If you can use statue form in extended then it's hilariously easy, as torment doesn't hurt much and hellfire has to try to chew through a 420 hit point pool. Good luck with that one, Mr. Hellion. Without it torment will hurt more, but you still have regeneration. So above average without statue form, laughably easy with it ;)

In short: Absolute best race, above average race, slightly below average, above average, average. I may be nitpicking. They're never bad.

Sample SF troll - I haven't really done SF on most trolls because it's a pain to get online, although their earth magic is only -1, transmutations is still -3. This is actually my only 15 rune troll, I have six wins with 3-5 runes that didn't use statue form. It's difficult to fit into a 3 rune game, unless you have something unusual going on (Chei + wiz for example).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 20:55

Re: The troll power curve over the course of a game

I agree, after a certain point, if you don't find early dragon armor, your terrible AC and sub-par EV start to hurt a lot. High HP and regen obviously make up for this quite a bit, but it's a definite slump. Once you get decent dragon armor you're generally good.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 21:00

If it is FDA or IDA, it requires a ring also. Fighting with rC- or rF- is not easy.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 21:08

just get a shield

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 22:09

I splatted a lot of trolls Lair Branch/Vaults or so. [Notably that was 0.12 and it was literally around my first games to make it past Temple, so whatever].

Anyways, I think I found the solution for Trolls to never really get harder is to start TrEE, TrIE or TrTm and go Cheibriados. Train UC to 15; then train Fighting and Dodging to 15 before bothering with spells. Chei gives you fair Spellcasting and Dodging against your horrible apts (and size) and Ozo's Armour/Stoneskin guarantee some bonus AC if you can't find anything else. Dragon Form or Statue Form as a troll (which give a percentile boost to your HP) is usually better than non-artifact armours, if you can find them, anyways. [Dragon Troll can break 500 HP; 3d20 Hellfire even if perfect rolls every time would take 9 hits to kill you.]
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 22:57

Trolls are still a top-5 race without dragon armor. Your defense is resting instead of AC/EV. So like an Ogre, but good.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
nago

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 23:02

If you don't have a shield or decent wearable armor for troll, I could maybe see getting your first rune potentially being a pain (doable, but you'd have to be cautious). But it is rare to get that far without a shield and/or something decent a troll can wear. And I've always found robe + cloak to be good enough up until D15 and Lair/Orc. I mean, Swamp occurs in 50% of games, and that alone gives you a solid armor option for any species with troll-like restrictions...

(Also, it isn't that uncommon to get a decent hide in Lair these days.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 23:41

It's hard to rest when you are attacked all the time. Being extremely unstealthy makes it even worse.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 23:50

Sandman25 wrote:It's hard to rest when you are attacked all the time. Being extremely unstealthy makes it even worse.

You can mitigate that by throwing stones and luring enemies, but we all know how fun that is (not).
remove food

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 9th June 2015, 23:59

tabstorm wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:It's hard to rest when you are attacked all the time. Being extremely unstealthy makes it even worse.

You can mitigate that by throwing stones and luring enemies, but we all know how fun that is (not).

It would be fun if there weren't endless hordes of thousands of enemies, and if every fight actually mattered and was worth doing right, like in the early dungeon.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 04:55

here is the troll power curve: y = ∞

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 05:30

tasonir wrote:Extended depends on how you set up for it: do you have statue form? If you can use statue form in extended then it's hilariously easy, as torment doesn't hurt much and hellfire has to try to chew through a 420 hit point pool. Good luck with that one, Mr. Hellion. Without it torment will hurt more, but you still have regeneration. So above average without statue form, laughably easy with it ;)

That's my personal experience as well.

There is a related topic about this, Do I overestimate statue form?, strongly dealing with trolls. This was a while ago when statue form was weaker than it's now. Surprising fact was that KoboldLord - imo one of the best advisers in this forum - didn't recommend the use of statue form. I still think he's wrong with this.

Edit: Corrected the link to the above mentioned topic. Thanks, tasonir.
Last edited by Turukano on Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 06:59

When I feel my defences are too low for first lair rune and no hide spawned I try the first levels of depths to get one.

I'm kidding!
Troll are so good I routinely go in depths to get it if missing as they can handle anyway quite well and after getting a real armour they can finish the game tabbing everything like it was d:1
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 08:34

duvessa wrote:here is the troll power curve: y = ∞

Minmay's own troll statistics: played 24 games, won 2 (winrate: 8.33%).

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
Sandman25

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 08:38

Magipi wrote:
duvessa wrote:here is the troll power curve: y = ∞

Minmay's own troll statistics: played 24 games, won 2 (winrate: 8.33%).

You can't imagine how much effort it was to get remaining 22 killed.

For this message the author Bart has received thanks: 5
duvessa, Magipi, rockygargoyle, Sandman25, zxc23

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 15:04

Code:
(11:02:49 AM) Lasty_: !lg sandman25 ho
(11:02:50 AM) Sequell: No games for sandman25 (ho).

Data says Sandman25 has never won or even played a hill orc!

This has been your daily reminder that quoting other people's online records without context lives at the intersection of stupid and deliberately obnoxious.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 15:36

Does minmay play offline like Sandman25 does?

Check http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/slowthinker, you will see a HOFE won by Sandman25 there :)
50% winrate for HOFE, not bad for a player who haven't played other HO, right? :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 15:42

Lasty wrote:
  Code:

This has been your daily reminder that quoting other people's online records without context lives at the intersection of stupid and deliberately obnoxious.

When a person says that some species is very easy and has 8.33% win rate with the species, I don't care if the person plays offline or with other accounts, the person is absolutely wrong (edit: unless goal of the player was not even close to winning which I doubt).

Edit: removed offending sentence.
Last edited by Sandman25 on Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 15:57

tabstorm wrote:

Throwing stones is really boring yes, throwing rocks is another thing entirely and a barrel of laughs. Troll can at least lure with a good weapon.

I did find Troll slightly harder during the phases mentioned in the OP. I thought UC penalty from armour was more of a deal than it really was and ran the entire 3-rune in a robe, which I guess equates to not finding DA. IIRC I picked up a shield going into vaults 5 which is also somewhat like not finding one till late, again I overvalued the offhand and undervalued the extra defense. Doing the run again I'd grab both asap. Lair rune 1 was indeed a bit of a pain, the second less so, then vaults was ok, depths horrible. Once I got the shield was much happier, but a robe troll is always a bit vulnerable to spikes and you do feel it.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 16:09

I have no idea how talented minmay is at winning trolls; I haven't observed him play one.

But let this be an occasion for a more important point:

Sometimes people play certain characters with self-imposed challenges, some people like to play certain species when they are drunk and/or watching Better Call Saul and not really paying attention, some people play at 4 in the morning in an insomniac half-life, some people have kept the same account since forever and a large number of losses occurred when they were still new to the game, and at least one talented player that I know of went through a phase wherein he startscummed, like, hundreds of wanderers for some reason. I play offline but my morgue has accumulated tons of dudes that I started in order to check something in wizmode really quick, then exited the dungeon.

Most of the people who play Crawl online do not actually fixate on their stats, treating them as though they are the lasting record of their deeds on earth, and thus the assumption that everyone is constantly putting forth 100% effort and concentration for every single character in order to make sure those stats reflect their actual current skill level is, quite simply, an incorrect assumption. Pretending otherwise in order to hastily, and without sufficient cause, paint someone a hypocrite is a dick move.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
Kramin42, Lasty

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 16:10

Sandman25 wrote:(edit: unless goal of the player was not even close to winning which I doubt)
congratulations you figured it out!
after the first few D levels, crawl isnt actually fun to try to win, you've posted this sentiment yourself many times, so you really shouldn't be surprised...

i also, y'know, never claimed to be good at crawl in the first place...

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
Sandman25

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 16:36

Lasty wrote:the intersection of stupid and deliberately obnoxious.

and into wrote: in order to hastily, and without sufficient cause, paint someone a hypocrite is a dick move.

Seriously, people, what is going on here?

Nobody was trying to hurt anybody, nobody was trying to paint anyone as anything. It was all lighthearted, innocent fun, crowned by Bart's brilliant riposte. There is no need to throw around such heavy words as "obnoxious" (which I had to google, so all is well, I've learned another useful English word).

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks: 3
duvessa, rockygargoyle, Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 16:36

duvessa wrote:congratulations you figured it out!
after the first few D levels, crawl isnt actually fun to try to win, you've posted this sentiment yourself many times, so you really shouldn't be surprised...

i also, y'know, never claimed to be good at crawl in the first place...

If you didn't write the last sentence, I would agree. "Very easy" means it can be won by not-that-great players, right?
You are a great player by the way, I was surprised to see so low win rate, thanks for explaining.

Fortunately we had TrAM in first season of CSDC where main goal is to win, no time for experiments or trying fun spells. The combo even starts with large rocks, very nice.
As you can see, the combo was relatively easy for top division but surprisingly only 2 players from other divisions won it and no other players got even a single rune. Is Tr really easy? I don't think so, it requires careful tactics, good skills in danger estimation to be able to retreat early. You cannot just tank damage like HO/Mi/Na/Gr/Ce in heavy armour can.

rockygargoyle

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 16:53

I agree with OP. I started playing Crawl with trolls because they seemed to be very good for surviving and learning. I'd say resistances are specifically the mid-game weak point rather than defenses in general. On my current TrCK I had to find a gold dragon in Depths 2 to get rPois. Then I wore two rings of magic resistance in most of Elf, Vaults, and Crypt when MR+ wasn't one of my ~20 concurrent Xom mutations.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:00

Yeah after first half of D Troll can be considered a glass cannon - they're going to have easy time 1vs1 against most if not anything rng can throw - including super ood most other combo couldn't handle - but they will die quickly if suffering damage from multiple sources at same time without having change to retaliate back fast - e.g. centaurs pack. I don't find surprisingly not-so-good players tend to die with them as you pointed out they're are in some form less tanky than other melee races, as well as they're are considered one of the hardest race by new players, while they're among the strongest.

and into wrote: and at least one talented player that I know of went through a phase wherein he startscummed, like, hundreds of wanderers for some reason.

I don't know if I'm talented too by I've also startscummed lots of Wn - I've actually played 654 of them, mostly for a turn or two! :D Plus I don't know really how many chars with runes\able to win easily the game I voluntarily killed because I was bored of them :D
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:07

nago wrote:Yeah after first half of D Troll can be considered a glass cannon - they're going to have easy time 1vs1 against most if not anything rng can throw - including super ood most other combo couldn't handle - but they will die quickly if suffering damage from multiple sources at same time without having change to retaliate back fast - e.g. centaurs pack.

Trolls remind me DEFE sometimes, the same glass cannon "I can kill almost anything 1vs1 but please don't shoot at me now, I need to retreat to restore my HP (Tr)/MP (DEFE)"

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:11

Well, if reality and things people claim on this board don't need to correlate, I could say something like "Mummy Wanderers are the easiest combo to get 15 runes with"

If I've never actually played a mummy, it's a good idea to ignore my claim.
If I've never won a wanderer, that's another good indication that my claim is bogus.
If my claim has a glaring factual error, that's another good reason to ignore me.

Now, the factual error part is easy. But the other two aren't so easy to check. So if someone personally knows that I've never even played a mummy, it would be a good thing for everyone (except me) for them to point that out, so everyone knows to ignore my claims. That doesn't make my claim necessarily incorrect, but it does mean I should provide some logical justification for my claim if I want it to be taken seriously. If I'm just going around making claims and I don't care if anyone takes them seriously, and I can't be bothered to back them up, people shouldn't listen to me.

If someone wants to say trolls are super easy throughout the entire game, yet is shown to almost never have taken a troll throughout the entire game, it's a good indication that their opinion on the matter is uninformed, and probably best ignored. Online statistics obviously don't prove this on their own, but if someone's known to play mostly online, it's not unreasonable to assume their online record reflects their actual gameplay.

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 2
rockygargoyle, Sandman25

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:18

Everyone needs to learn a little restraint and not post in threads where they have nothing to contribute. I haven't posted here because I don't even remember the last game I played with a Troll. Don't worry for you who can't think of something useful to say, there's always CYC. Anyone can 'contribute' there.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:38

Re:

Turukano wrote:There is a related topic about this, Do I overestimate statue form?, strongly dealing with trolls. This was a while ago when statue form was weaker than it's now. Surprising fact was that KoboldLord - imo one of the best advisers in this forum - didn't recommend the use of statue form. I still think he's wrong with this.

You linked the wrong thread, but since you gave the name it was easy to find: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6317&p=226048

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:45

Posting a person's online stat doesn't really add to the conversation, either. Of course people should justify their claims. You can seek for elaboration by, you know, asking for it, before you go off half-cocked with assumptions that everyone is just making stuff up in order to screw with you, or something.

Online stats only matter in such discussions if that particular account consistently reflects that player at or near peak skill. Numerous posters have at numerous times said this is not how they play, all over Tavern, long before it became a fad to use individual player stats as borderline smears.

(The tournament results, by contrast, are a completely legitimate counterpoint to the idea that Trolls don't dip off in power.) [<--- Yeah, this is dumb, disregard.]

Posting online stats from players to "settle arguments" has become a means of interpersonal sniping, and it is getting ridiculous. It has come up in multiple threads, not just this one. At the very least, it almost always derails threads into dumb pissing matches between individual posters. If you must engage in such competitions, save it for CYC.

For this message the author and into has received thanks: 2
archaeo, Lasty

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:47

and into wrote:(The tournament results, by contrast, are a completely legitimate counterpoint to the idea that Trolls don't dip off in power.)
what

have you ever watched tournament games

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:49

duvessa wrote:
and into wrote:(The tournament results, by contrast, are a completely legitimate counterpoint to the idea that Trolls don't dip off in power.)
what

I'm not saying I agree with the conclusion, but using that as evidence is not a case of proceeding from false premises (at least as far as I can tell), since it is a reasonable assumption that nearly all the people playing, including many players of known skill, were putting forth a good effort to win—possibly not best effort, but a good one.

Okay, good point—I only rarely play or spectate online. Could still be flawed assumption, then.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:50

duvessa wrote:what

have you ever watched tournament games

Do you remember that CSDC has only 1 game per round? It is completely opposite to seasonal tournaments where indeed it's optimal to pay very little attention unless you are on longest streak.

Edit. I spectated several players, all they were very careful, definitely more careful than normally. I spectated good players mostly though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:55

and into wrote:
duvessa wrote:
what

I'm not saying I agree with the conclusion, but using that as evidence is not a case of proceeding from false premises (at least as far as I can tell), since it is a reasonable assumption that nearly all the people playing, including many players of known skill, were putting forth a good effort to win—possibly not best effort, but a good one.
no thats not a reasonable assumption at all - many online players don't even realize or remember they're playing during the tournament, let alone care about it, and you also often get a lot of tournament points for doing stuff that's terrible for winning like switching gods and diving and getting runes in the wrong order. the results are extremely polluted and while the tournament placings are a good way to find players have the greatest combination of skill at the game and time to waste playing it, they are an awful place to look for assessing combo strength etc. Naga has more wins in tournament than centaur, are you seriously going to say the former species is stronger?

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
and into, Lasty

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:58

^ Yes, that's completely correct. It is wildly inappropriate data, as well.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 17:59

duvessa wrote:Naga has more wins in tournament than centaur, are you seriously going to say the former species is stronger?

Which Centaurs? I don't see Ce in CSDC 1 season.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 18:10

and into wrote:Posting a person's online stat doesn't really add to the conversation, either. Of course people should justify their claims. You can seek for elaboration by, you know, asking for it, before you go off half-cocked with assumptions that everyone is just making stuff up in order to screw with you, or something.

Online stats only matter in such discussions if that particular account consistently reflects that player at or near peak skill. Numerous posters have at numerous times said this is not how they play, all over Tavern, long before it became a fad to use individual player stats as borderline smears.

(The tournament results, by contrast, are a completely legitimate counterpoint to the idea that Trolls don't dip off in power.) [<--- Yeah, this is dumb, disregard.]

Posting online stats from players to "settle arguments" has become a means of interpersonal sniping, and it is getting ridiculous. It has come up in multiple threads, not just this one. At the very least, it almost always derails threads into dumb pissing matches between individual posters. If you must engage in such competitions, save it for CYC.

That's true, to a point, but just theorycrafting is also a bad way to justify a claim. If theoretical play is good enough to base claims off of, then I'm perfectly right to say "Trolls are no better or worse than any other race, because all races have a 99% chance of winning, when played in a theoretically perfect way". The problem is, theoretical crawl has a lot less variables and moving pieces than real crawl. In theoretical crawl, you can pillar dance for eternity, and lead enemies all around the level safely. In real crawl, sometimes things happen to mess those supposedly safe strategies up. So it's important to have some reality occasionally inserted into these theoretical discussions.

Also, when someone says "X is really easy" and then says "I never actually do X" then it's pretty reasonable to say "How can you claim it's easy if you never do it?"

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 18:19

dowan wrote:Also, when someone says "X is really easy" and then says "I never actually do X" then it's pretty reasonable to say "How can you claim it's easy if you never do it?"

That is fine, and it isn't what I am objecting to.

Posting player stats as a refutation to advice or opinions is becoming more common. Putting aside the (highly dubious) accuracy and honesty of this practice, it obviously has a high propensity to derail threads completely. For that reason, alone, I'm telling people to knock it off.

If someone says, "I have won 126 high elves on my account dogballz6969 on CSZO," and you look into that account on that same server and find that Mr. dogballz6969 has not actually done this, then sure, post the stat and call that person out. But no one in this thread was bragging that they were the best at trolls, or anything like it, so posting their stats to call them out is not warranted, and is, in this moderator's opinion, ipso facto, a dick move.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 18:22

There seems to have been some confusion with what "tournament" means, it was originally meant in terms of CSDC games, and centaur didn't come up in season 1. Regular crawl tournaments (.15, .16, etc) are biased by popularity of combo, and while winrates of a combo during the tournament might be slightly higher correlated to strength than their overall winrate in general, it's still a loose connection at best.

I would say that the CSDC winrates are probably the most correlated to combo strength, as you only get one chance at it, but it still suffers two significant problems: challenge conditions might kill you doing something unusual, and probably more importantly: very low sample size.

So take a step back, remember there's a fair amount of subjectivity here, and have fun :) I've added a troll of Ashenzari to my "to do" character list, will probably pick fighter/monk/hunter as background. I do think statue form adds a great deal to a troll's strength, but it's a pretty steep investment for them to get online, which is why I think ash will be an interesting alternative to doing another chei troll, cheaper magic skills.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Rast, Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 18:26

EDIT: For context because I got ninjad:
and into wrote:stuff about stuff and hating on dogballz69

Fair enough. And your point of such things derailing the thread is well taken, and I think well proven, in this instance.

But don't go smearing DoGbAlLz6969, that guy is a genius when it comes to high elves!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 18:39

Recently we had something like "I cannot win Felid, let's 'fix' it", "I haven't used Necromutation in extended, it is wasted XP", "I have never got Statue Form Tr in extended, the spell is not that great", "I cannot win reliably, this is a list of characters who are recommended for new players".
Do you think it's good for crawl community?

Edit. I have never been as Troll in extended but at list I wizmoded it :) and I tried the spell in extended with other species.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 21:11

Hi all, friendly mod here!

I got a report on this thread that I'm not totally sure what to do with. I've contacted the parties involved, but more generally, I'd like to remind everyone that we're on the internet here, so things like tone of voice and body language get lost. We hail from many different countries and cultures. It's really easy to assume a state of mind in other posters, when that may not be their actual intent. So please! When you read a post and start feeling the angry, take a moment before escalating. PM's asking for clarification may be better than public posts.

More generally (and I'm still speaking as a mod here): Trying to use online stats to support or refute different strategies or assess player skill is, I think, never going to be useful. This forum is for offering people advice, explaining mechanics, and helping with strategy and tactics. I'm not going to say "never post online stats here" but before you do: think about whether the numbers you're about to post will actually mean something helpful, remember that those numbers are composed of solid feces, and think one more time about whether they'll help people out.

Most of this thread has been turned into that which online stats are made of. @tasonir, I'll do my best to clean it if you'd like; otherwise, let's keep to the topic of getting our beloved trolls some orbs.

Whew!
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 5
and into, Lasty, Sandman25, Sprucery, tasonir

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 10th June 2015, 23:43

Sandman25 wrote:
Lasty wrote:
  Code:

When a person says that some species is very easy and has 8.33% win rate with the species, I don't care if the person plays offline or with other accounts, the person is absolutely wrong (edit: unless goal of the player was not even close to winning which I doubt).

I have to disagree with this. My online Mf winrate is 100%, but if I had learned to play online instead of offline, my Mf winrate would be well below 8.33%. This is because I learned to play the game with MfBe and haven't played much Mf since. Yet I feel I am justified when I say Mf is a strong species.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 11th June 2015, 14:07

I give my personal opinion.
I have no idea how someone can be offended in any way, if someone post his online statistic of any kind.
You can post any statistic about me (also I don't play online in general but if I did), say whatever you want, it will only make me laugh, because I know that I'm good as Tm, and (for example) that Og is very strong, and nothing will change this.
So it all looks a little childish to me, if I see great battles that start for that nothig.
It always amazes me, because I personally take it as a friendly hassle, and then it turns out that this is all that serious.
English is NOT my native language.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 11th June 2015, 14:41

I don't think it's that serious. People yell at each other in one thread, then have friendly banter in another. We all just REALLY want to make our points, and it gets a little intense sometimes.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 11th June 2015, 15:35

imo troll is very fun race.
i saw super extremely lore keeper troll(win without raising any skill to 10)
http://lazy-life.ddo.jp:8080/morgue/dis ... 143535.txt

crazy build
Last edited by radinms on Thursday, 11th June 2015, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author radinms has received thanks: 2
Sandman25, tasonir

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 11th June 2015, 18:31

This thread couldn't have come at a better time, as I'm playing a Troll now for the first time after playing tons of octopode. Obviously I don't have a lot of experience playing Troll char's, but I would agree with the general description of their power curve. I think I felt most at-risk in late Lair and in my first attempts at Snake, before that things were pretty smooth apart from some mistakes I made that nearly got me killed. After that rough patch, things have changed again, and now I feel like I'm very well prepared for most challenges. Slime and Vaults 5 weren't particularly difficult at all. Here's an abbreviated char dump if anyone might be interested. Side note: I've been very fortunate with equipment in my opinion, so there's a factor.

Code:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16.1 (tiles) character file.

Grumpy D the Warrior (Troll Monk)                  Turns: 69123, Time: 08:33:51

Health: 301/301    AC: 15    Str: 43    XL:     27
Magic:  33/33      EV: 35    Int: 27    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   5722       SH: 17    Dex: 32    Spells: 5 memorised, 23 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis .       - Unarmed
rCold  + + .     Clarity  .     N - +2 troll leather armour
rNeg   + + +     SustAb   .     S - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  +         Gourm    +     r - -2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     o - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  +         Warding  +     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   +         NoTele   +     (boots unavailable)
MR     ++++.                    E - amulet of Cekugob {Ward -Tele rElec rPois rN++ AC+1 EV+1}
Stlth  ++........               d - ring of the Octopus King {rN+ AC+1 EV+1 Str+1 Int+1 Dex+1}
                                K - +5 ring of evasion

@: very slow, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, beak, claws 3, rugged brown scales 1, fast metabolism 3,
gourmand, regeneration 2, shaggy fur 1, tough skin 2
a: Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Step From Time, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Invisibility
}: 6/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, silver, abyssal, demonic

You are in Pandemonium.
You worship Cheibriados.
Cheibriados is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

You have visited 10 branches of the dungeon, and seen 57 of its levels.
You have visited Pandemonium 1 time, and seen 3 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 2 times.
You have also visited: Ice Cave and Wizlab.

You have collected 8172 gold pieces.
You have spent 2450 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Missiles
 y - 86 large rocks (quivered)
Armour
 o - a +2 cloak of invisibility (worn)
 r - the -2 hat of the Alchemist (worn) {rElec rPois rF+ rC+ rN+ MR+ rMut rCorr}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Vaults)   

It protects you from fire.
   It protects you from cold.
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It protects you from poison.
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
   It protects you from acid and corrosion.
   It protects you from mutation.
 N - a +2 troll leather armour (worn)
 S - the +2 shield of Resistance (worn) {rF+ rC+ MR+}
   (You acquired it on level 1 of the Shoals)   

It protects you from fire.
   It protects you from cold.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
Jewellery
 d - a ring of the Octopus King (right claw) {rN+ AC+1 EV+1 Str+1 Int+1 Dex+1}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Vaults)   

[ring of positive energy]

It affects your AC (+1).
   It affects your evasion (+1).
   It affects your strength (+1).
   It affects your intelligence (+1).
   It affects your dexterity (+1).
   It protects you from negative energy.
 l - a ring of stealth
 m - a ring of positive energy
 t - an uncursed ring of teleport control
 x - an uncursed amulet of clarity
 E - the amulet of Cekugob (around neck) {Ward -Tele rElec rPois rN++ AC+1 EV+1}
   (You found it on level 2 of the Shoals)   

[amulet of warding]

It may prevent the melee attacks of summoned creatures.
   It affects your AC (+1).
   It affects your evasion (+1).
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It protects you from poison.
   It greatly protects you from negative energy.
   It prevents most forms of teleportation.
 H - an uncursed ring of sustain abilities
 K - a +5 ring of evasion (left claw)
Magical devices
 g - a wand of digging {zapped: 7}
 q - a wand of cold {zapped: 4}
 s - a wand of frost {zapped: 5}
 A - a wand of heal wounds (7)
 B - a wand of slowing {zapped: 23}
 L - a wand of fire (6)
 P - a wand of lightning (2)
 X - a wand of teleportation (5)
Scrolls
 c - 12 scrolls of remove curse
 h - a scroll of enchant armour
 j - 2 scrolls of fog
 k - 12 scrolls of teleportation
 p - a scroll of brand weapon
 v - 8 scrolls of recharging
 z - 4 scrolls of blinking
 Q - a scroll of identify
 R - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
 Z - a scroll of silence
Potions
 a - 3 potions of magic
 e - 2 potions of cancellation
 f - 15 potions of curing
 i - 6 potions of heal wounds
 u - 5 potions of restore abilities
 w - 2 potions of cure mutation
 C - 2 potions of might
 F - 3 potions of resistance
 G - 3 potions of agility
 I - 2 potions of brilliance
 U - 2 potions of flight
Books
 J - an Akashic Record {highlevel}   
   This book is beyond your current level of understanding.

Spells                             Type                      Level
    a - Dispersal                    Translocation                 6
    b - Controlled Blink             Translocation                 7
    c - Malign Gateway               Summoning/Translocation       7
    d - Disjunction                  Translocation                 8
    e - Singularity                  Translocation                 9
Comestibles
 b - 21 meat rations
 n - 9 bread rations
 D - a beef jerky
 M - 3 fruits

Skills:
 - Level 20.5 Fighting
 - Level 11.3 Throwing
 - Level 12.7 Armour
 - Level 15.2 Dodging
 - Level 1.1 Stealth
 - Level 9.1 Shields
 - Level 20.3 Unarmed Combat
 - Level 5.3 Spellcasting
 + Level 14.0 Translocations
 - Level 12.5 Transmutations
 - Level 17.8 Earth Magic
 - Level 11.3 Invocations

You have 23 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Statue Form           Trmt/Erth      ######...    1%          6    ######.
b - Stoneskin             Trmt/Erth      ######..     1%          2    None
c - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   1%          1    None
d - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       #.....       14%         2    None
e - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           #.........   14%         2    None

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 11th June 2015, 18:39

That troll's got some crazy stuff.

For this character, if there is a +1 or +2 hat available somewhere, I would be wearing that over the hat of the alchemist, honestly.

You'll actually get someone better returns on some more levels of spell casting, since it is so low-level (low levels are cheap) compared to your tloc. Do note that if you eventually want to use cblink a lot to flit around during fights, it will be annoying to keep using Cekugob.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th June 2015, 18:43

Why? the character does not care about AC, it has Statue Form + Stoneskin.

Rast

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 11th June 2015, 18:45

I would probably wear the dirtyhat because it's convenient and this char's defences are not bad. I would drop Cekugob though.
Next

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice