Monsters Picking Up Weapons

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 2nd June 2015, 16:11

Monsters Picking Up Weapons

I see references in the Wiki to monsters picking weapons up off the floor, but I don't think I've ever seen it happen in my games (0.15 and 0.16). Is this behavior obsolete? I've mainly worried about this when I've fought a pack that includes a monster with a distortion-branded weapon. That monster is a priority target--but do I need to spend a turn to grab the dropped weapon to keep someone else from using it against me, or am I free to leave it on the floor?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 2nd June 2015, 16:26

Re: Monsters Picking Up Weapons

Yes, it is obsolete.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 2nd June 2015, 16:42

Monsters *will* still pick up items you haven't seen. You'll mostly notice this with the minotaur in labyrinths and the elves in Elf:3. It can occasionally be really Fun.

But Sandman's right; you don't need to carry around nasty weapons to deny them to monsters anymore.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 2nd June 2015, 19:41

Yet another way the game has been dumbed down. There used to be a really fun minigame of throwing all the dangerous weapons into lava. Remember, inventory weight limits were still a thing, which of course added to the fun and challenge of carting these weapons into the nearest lava pool. Now THAT was tactical gameplay at its finest! :lol:

Spoiler: show
This post contained 100% sarcasm(except the :lol: )

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
GlassGo

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 3rd June 2015, 03:18

Agree, but game lose some tactical moment, also this mechanic was cumbersome.
English is NOT my native language.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice