Spell failure % - when it is enough?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 22:41

Spell failure % - when it is enough?

Well, I'm now run that guy viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16342
I train skills till moment I can cast Necromutation "reliably" - for me it is % "gray" (1% gray, yet 2% is yellow), but...
Question arise - when spell failure chance is low enough (for high-level spells with bad miscast effects)?
Maybe I shouldn't do that, and someone concidered this like a waste of exp?
English is NOT my native language.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 22:57

Re: Spell failure % - when it is enough?

GlassGo wrote:Maybe I shouldn't do that, and someone concidered this like a waste of exp?

It depends on other skills (are they in diminishing return area already?). I usually go for 1% Necromutation too, there is nothing wrong with it, especially because even grey 1% Necromutation miscast can petrify.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 23:01

It really depends on a lot of matters, notably what point of the game you are, what kinda of school is that spell, and its level.

For example, in early game (pre Lair) experience is really tight and it's quite important to allocate it wisely, so it isn't important to have high success rate on charms/transmutation spell like spectral weapon or spider form (30ish+% failure rate are fine), because it's much more important to have some passable offence and eventually defence - and you can cast those buff before fight, and if there's a miscast in most situation it's possible to reatreat and wait mp to refill. Plus their miscast effects are most of time negligible.
Emergency spell requires a little more training: you don't want to have swiftness or blink fail 5 times in a row, so something like 10-20% early on is better.
Finally, spells like conjuration requires lowest failure rate asap (and later also spellpower but that's another matter) as they're the main tool to oppose enemies - if they fails, things can go south quickly.

But then, you have also to consider later experience it's much more abundant (becoming excessively available in late game) so you can lower all your spell success down to 1% or so. Which is also good, because some school have terrible effects for high level spell.

In your example with necromut - I'd avoid to comment about the value of the decision to learn it as I haven't enough time to digress on it - I'd aim for the lowest possibile (1-2%) as transmutation have terrible effect for high lvl. spell - like getting bad muts on the spot, or red glow or petrification. But please do that after you have all your main skills (and secondary maybe too) to a good level.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 23:33

I prefer to have higher failure chance for Conjurations than for Blink. Getting Blink to 1% is what I usually do immediately after starting training Translocations.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 23:36

God choice can matter. e.g. with Sif Muna, I would probably be happy if Necromutation had a miscast rate around 33%-50%, unless I was planning on using Necromutation tactically (e.g. spend most of my time alive, but instantly switch to undead when the situation calls for it). If I'm going for Tornado (still with Sif Muna) I usually start casting it too with miscast rates over 33%, although I usually aim to bring the miscast rate down eventually.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 4th June 2015, 12:03

It is up to where do you feel yourself comfortable. Sometimes I cast firestorm at 40% red fail somewhere in Shoals. I do it just because killing Mara with fireballs is boring and I really want to kill her. Yes, it is dangerous because I can end up with yellow contam, but otherwise I really don't care being blasted for 30 fire damage (before resistances).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 4th June 2015, 12:31

ololoev wrote:It is up to where do you feel yourself comfortable. Sometimes I cast firestorm at 40% red fail somewhere in Shoals. I do it just because killing Mara with fireballs is boring and I really want to kill her. Yes, it is dangerous because I can end up with yellow contam, but otherwise I really don't care being blasted for 30 fire damage (before resistances).

Isn't it 60 fire damage? http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Miscast#Fire_Magic

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice