Turn Count

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 22:45

Turn Count

Why does the count displayed in game as number of turns never match the actual value recorded when you win/die/dump the char? Noticed this many times and often wondered. Like my current DsFi says 77k or something ingame, which I felt was pretty quick for how far i'd gotten (for me,). dump and its 88k, which is more what I expected. Ingame seems to be about 10% behind most of the way. Whats the deal?
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th May 2015, 22:52

Re: Turn Count

Did you have boots of running? Used Haste a lot?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 30th May 2015, 01:17

A lot of your actions are done at speeds < 1.0, like nearly every melee attack once your skill is fairly high.
remove food

For this message the author tabstorm has received thanks:
Sar

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 30th May 2015, 08:18

Ok, those both make some sense for this character. But I dont see how it fails to synchronise despite this.

Yes, boots of running from maybe D6 onwards, all melee with dagger/quickblade. But regardless of many (most) of my actions being under 1.0 Aut, I see no logic that then gives me two seperate counts.

Hmm. In that case... The number shown ingame is the accurate one then, it allows for the actual delays that I experience and is the total time period in Auts since I began the game. What is the number shown in a win/dump then? The number of auts that would have passed assuming I always moved and swung weapons at 1.0 delay? What possible use is that?

I still dont get it. Assuming as you say they differ due to fast actions and that the lower count (ingame) is therefore probably the accurate one, why even have the second number, which tells me zip? And why is that the number used to score my run? So theres no benefit to a speedrunner just by taking shortblades? I guess then that a spriggan/centaur will always have a discrepency since they are quick.

-celem, confused.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 30th May 2015, 11:25

They are both accurate. One is the amount of game time used, the other is the number of actions taken.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
celem

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 30th May 2015, 18:33

If you type "E" during the game, you will the see "turn" count which is actually the "action" count which is what finally shows up as turns in the dump.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
celem

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th May 2015, 19:33

I do think it would be nice if "turn" wasn't used interchangably to mean alternately '1 action', or '10 aut'. Two completely separate terms clearly defined would be helpful
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 30th May 2015, 21:12

Yeah this entire post could have been averted if it said Actions: rather than Turns: at the top of the dump. Or as you say differentiated in some other fashion. There are a couple of timers in the game that I can conceptualise, but the naming seems a little cryptic. They had the same name, so I couldnt fathom why they didnt match.

I get that an action is a turn, as in a turn-based game, you had a turn and took it. Theres also this aut clock that im less interested in now I realise how this works. 10auts can be called a 'turn', though may not be the same duration as the first type of 'turn' if you are moving fast/slow or swinging a weapon...yeah, messy. The duration (in auts) of my last attack is interesting, but that total next to it becomes less so when you realise it isnt the one being used for the scoring.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 1st June 2015, 10:49

celem wrote:Why does the count displayed in game as number of turns never match the actual value recorded when you win/die/dump the char? Noticed this many times and often wondered. Like my current DsFi says 77k or something ingame, which I felt was pretty quick for how far i'd gotten (for me,). dump and its 88k, which is more what I expected. Ingame seems to be about 10% behind most of the way. Whats the deal?

Code:
show_game_turns = true
        By default, the turn counter in the stat area displays game turns, which
        means absolute turns of constant duration. Most actions take one turn,
        but some are quicker (putting a ring, wielding a weapon, ...) and
        others are slower (ending a transformation, changing armour,...). The
        duration of the last action is displayed in parenthesis, after the turn
        count.
        When set to false, the turn counter will display player turns instead,
        which is the number of actions done, regardless of their duration. It
        is this turn count which is used for scoring (and this turn count is
        always visible on the % overview screen).
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

For this message the author Eyesburn has received thanks:
celem

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice