Lack of Available Resistance

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 13:47

Lack of Available Resistance

How do you deal with a run that gives you absolutely no access to a particular resistance? In my current run, I'm at Depths 3 & 4 without any form of rCorr, and there are packs of caustic shrikes in Depths 4 that have almost killed me 3 separate times, and I'm blowing through my reserve of blink scrolls and haste potions. I've come across absolutely zero rCorr gear (no drops, none in stores, none from 2 scrolls of acquirement), so I'm at a loss as to how to handle the situation.

What do you do when this happens? And not just specifically for rCorr in this particular case, but any resistance that just never drops during a run?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 13:49

Re: Lack of Available Resistance

It happened to me too. I dived to next Depths level.

If not rCorr-specific, potion of resistance can be useful for rF+ and rElec.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 14:10

Depends on your character and the particular threat. If you have high enough AC, EV and HP, you can probably just tough it out (not sure what it's called, but there's a particular vault in Zot that generates with half a ton of yellow draconians, acid blobs etc., and I managed to stairdance it without rCorr, but I did have 40 AC, 20 EV and >200HP).

If it's a really tough threat (caustic shrikes w/o rCorr, Nikola w/o rElec, Lom Lobon w/o rC etc.), just remember the first rule of crawl - you don't have to take it on. Just avoid them if you can. if you can't, down a potion of resistance, buff up and either kill 'em or avoid 'em
<Sequell> Zargon is a greatplayer!
<Sequell> Zargon is a greaterplayer!
Online scoring

For this message the author Zargon has received thanks:
miserium

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 14:57

The good thing about corrosion is that it won't directly kill you, so you get some time to plan your escape. I still consider rF+ the only mandatory resistance, and that's because oof can do insane damage per turn.
Comborobin Admin

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 15:04

Potions of resistance give temporary rCorr.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 15:05

Sar wrote:Potions of resistance give temporary rCorr.

Yes, I forgot to mention it and my first message looks misleading. I meant that potion of resistance is useful in most situations, not in just rCorr-specific.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 15:07

Potion of agility can help vs Caustic Strikes, they have relatively low accuracy (41% vs EV 30 as far as I remember).

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 2
miserium, Sar

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 15:18

Hmmm, I do have two potions of resistance. Looks like I'm going to have to try and buff up and go through them. The Depth 4 level that they're on is basically a big circular level that keeps looping inward until a center-point with stairs down (this is the farthest I've ever got so I don't know if it's always that way or if this is just one of the configurations). So there's not really a good way to go around them.

One thing I was thinking was that there are two chain mail artefact armors I see via Ctrl-F that aren't identified yet. If either of those are rCorr, would it be worth switching down to it from my dragon armor just to get through them? Or would the lower AC be worse?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 15:20

miserium wrote:One thing I was thinking was that there are two chain mail artefact armors I see via Ctrl-F that aren't identified yet. If either of those are rCorr, would it be worth switching down to it from my dragon armor just to get through them? Or would the lower AC be worse?

It depends on your AC/EV in those armours and in your current armour.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
Sar

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 15:26

Wow the potion of agility worked wonders. I powered right through the lot of them and only got -3 corr by the end of it! Thanks for the help!

For this message the author miserium has received thanks:
Sandman25

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 22nd May 2015, 16:00

Zargon wrote:Depends on your character and the particular threat. If you have high enough AC, EV and HP, you can probably just tough it out (not sure what it's called, but there's a particular vault in Zot that generates with half a ton of yellow draconians, acid blobs etc., and I managed to stairdance it without rCorr, but I did have 40 AC, 20 EV and >200HP).

If it's a really tough threat (caustic shrikes w/o rCorr, Nikola w/o rElec, Lom Lobon w/o rC etc.), just remember the first rule of crawl - you don't have to take it on. Just avoid them if you can. if you can't, down a potion of resistance, buff up and either kill 'em or avoid 'em

That vault was my first Zot vault...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice