Firebolt or Fireball

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Zzz

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 22:03

Firebolt or Fireball

Can anyone tell me about these and which is best, considering they are both level six spells. I am in the ten rune challenge sprint and I figured I could use fireballs in the upcoming orc mine room, but I also got a book with firebolt in it.. Also in regular dungeons which does better ?
Tab tab tab tab x2
you die... ...wait what?

Zzz

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 22:18

Re: Firebolt or Fireball

Thank you for the swift reply ! I am anxious to get this character going :D I haven't tried bolt of fire yet because I rather liked hitting multiple targets; I guess hitting rows of targets is the same thing. Of course this question probably wouldn't be necessary if the game told you the damage up front. Would be nice to know the exact spell loudness too, being sneaky is super important in sprint. +1 vote for transparency
Tab tab tab tab x2
you die... ...wait what?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2011, 10:52

Zzz wrote:Would be nice to know the exact spell loudness too, being sneaky is super important in sprint. +1 vote for transparency

Fireball (like all explosion spells) make a noise of 15. Bolt of fire makes a noise of 6. The description of the spell gives an indication of how loud it is.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2011, 13:28

The only time I could think that Fireball would be preferable to Bolt (everything else being equal) is that Fireball doesn't start forest fires. (Or it didn't the last time I tried to do so on purpose, in 0.8.) Then again, you can period-target your Bolt so that it stops before hitting a tree that you don't want to ignite.

On the other hand, Delayed Fireball can be prepared in advance and launched for zero MP.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2011, 13:55

Stormfox wrote:The only time I could think that Fireball would be preferable to Bolt (everything else being equal) is that Fireball doesn't start forest fires. (Or it didn't the last time I tried to do so on purpose, in 0.8.)

It does now.

Stormfox wrote:Then again, you can period-target your Bolt so that it stops before hitting a tree that you don't want to ignite.

I wonder if it's intentional. It makes sense with throwing, but not so much with bolt spells. You can even do it with lightning bolt to avoid bouncing it on your face.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
mageykun

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2011, 15:15

I nearly always prefer fireball to bolt of fire. Enemies seem to be beside each other more frequently than lined up neatly, and bolt of fire misses. Maybe it's different when you get the spell power way up, but if the question is which to learn first, I'd go with fireball.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2011, 16:08

If the enemies are bunched up in perfect Fireball formation, or if they are in no helpful formation at all, you can get them into perfect Bolt of Fire formation by running to a nearby corridor, which is usually going to be close at hand. Good luck getting them into Fireball formation on demand, if you don't happen to find them set up that way. Bolt of Fire also deals more damage to a single target.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2011, 19:19

Fireballs only real perk over bolt of fire is the not missing thing. For almost all enemies this is a moot point as most enemies are not particularly evasive. Delayed fireball is quite nice though.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 12th May 2011, 03:24

Personally, as was said, bolt of fire shines for use in a corridor and for high damage. I was unaware of it's lower noise.

Fireball does shine in one area: Stair dancing in areas with packs of enemies. Fireball can really shine in Orc, with rat packs in Lair, and with high EV critters like the wisps in Swamp and the bees in the Hive. I love fireball in these places.

The flip side of that is that freezing cloud, with its' lingering and volume preserving properties does even better in that role.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 12th May 2011, 09:27

Fireball is also good against groups of slime creatures as if you lead them into a corridor they are more likely to merge, but Freezing Cloud is probably better here too.

The other thing about Bolt of Fire is that you can use it against a monster that is standing next to you without hitting yourself.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 12th May 2011, 21:39

Jeremiah wrote:The other thing about Bolt of Fire is that you can use it against a monster that is standing next to you without hitting yourself.

With smart targeting fireball can also do that. Just target diagonally behind the enemy. Sometimes it's not possible with multiple enemies around though.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 12th May 2011, 22:58

Plus, there's the perk that if you know fireball, you can learn Delayed Fireball, the level 7 spell, almost free at a single spell level (learning delayed fireball alone gives you the fireball spell free, too, if you find it first somehow) - It's one of the most unusual and exotic spells I know of - you prepare a delayed fireball beforehand, and you get a delayed fireball 'a'bility - using this ability launches a full-power fireball with /no time passing at all/ - so you could use two attack spells in one turn, a delayed fireball, then something else, or lob a fireball while running away or healing or teleporting. It can be pretty handy in life threatening situations. However, to be fair, learning fireball without the delayed fireball is only mediocre.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 16:16

Or you could use Ice magic with your next character and Own EVERYTHING with Freezing Cloud

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice