Lantern of Shadows

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 28th April 2015, 22:13

Lantern of Shadows

Does anyone actually use this?

Ruins your spellpower, ruins your stealth, useless as a weapon. I have always just left it on the ground where I found it. I just tried it out for the first time, and it seems to be as I suspected more hassle than it's worth.

I mean it seems like an interesting item but the downsides are just too big.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th April 2015, 22:29

Re: Lantern of Shadows

Elystan wrote:Does anyone actually use this?

Ruins your spellpower, ruins your stealth, useless as a weapon. I have always just left it on the ground where I found it. I just tried it out for the first time, and it seems to be as I suspected more hassle than it's worth.

I mean it seems like an interesting item but the downsides are just too big.

Actually it's the most boringly overpowered item in the game, wield it with some evocations, and walk away from everything until it's dead. A bit like trying to kill everything in the game using Qaz's passive storm effects (with no degrading piety)

(no I don't use it, I also don't smack my head into my desk over and over again until I win at crawl.)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 28th April 2015, 22:55

I like to wield it during ascension and it's in general a great escape item. Free Darkness + autospawning enough stuff to keep enemies away. I know it can be used for killdudes, but MEH; what Siegurt said "A bit like trying to kill everything in the game using Qaz's passive storm effects".
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th April 2015, 23:35

Siegurt wrote:A bit like trying to kill everything in the game using Qaz's passive storm effects (with no degrading piety)
except it actually works

(or it did before the nerf at least)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 00:05

Yeah, it's not free anymore, and yeah, it's still quite useful. But it's not able to be used quite as boringly as before.

You know when you're running away from a monster, and you wish there was something keeping the monster away from you, so you could get away? This makes many somethings get between you and monsters, and it makes less monsters able to be able to attack you at once (due to LOS shrinking)

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 01:17

Drastically reduced line of sight means you spot fewer monsters, and fewer monsters spot you.

Summoned shadows get in the way of enemies.

All around great item if you aren't attacking.

Stacks with the spell and with nightstalker, if you like being nearsighted.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 30th April 2015, 19:16

I did an experiment. The character I'm playing right now skipped the lair branches at first so I came back at level 27 with something like 18 in evocation and just stood there watching the naga die, occasionally casting death channel if there was more than one.

It did work, and later on helped me to run away from a pair of angry greater mummies with flying skull support in tomb. I can see the usefulness now.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice