Is wearing this armour worth it?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 08:56

Is wearing this armour worth it?

I am a MiBe (of trog, obviously) and came across this item

-2 scale mail of Cheoss {-Cast rPois Str+6 Int-4 Dex+3}

Would it be better than a +0 Leather armour of Fire resistance?, I'd need 1 more int to be able to use it without suffering brainlessness.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 09:05

Re: Is wearing this armour worth it?

Well, it would be worse for your defenses, but I'd estimate it would be better overall because the stat bonuses will increase your damage and rpois is better than rF early on... except it has that int penalty. There are monsters that drain your int. You will have to run away from brain worms to a safe place, then change armors. Be aware this takes a long time. If you have any other +int equipment it would be good to wear it or at least carry it in your inventory. And since there are more int draining monsters later in the game, I'd stop wearing the armor probably before lair:8.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
Magipi

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 09:35

That thank was a misclick, but whatever :D

I guess it is completely impossible that the best body armours in the game are a +0 leather and a -2 scale mail. Maybe on D:1.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 09:40

Torax wrote:I am a MiBe (of trog, obviously) and came across this item

-2 scale mail of Cheoss {-Cast rPois Str+6 Int-4 Dex+3}

Would it be better than a +0 Leather armour of Fire resistance?, I'd need 1 more int to be able to use it without suffering brainlessness.

I think the only reason you would ever wear this armor is if you were absolutely desperate for rPois.

Given that you have regeneration on demand and probably have a few potions of curing, you aren't desperate for rPois.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 09:57

Its edge of the envelope... If your armour skill is significantly better than your dodging then it might yield an overall increase in defenses.
If it means assigning a point of Int at level-up on a MiBe then pretty much forget it. You need to find the buffer Int from other items if its even gonna be a thing.

I wouldnt bother. Might make an emergency rPois, but the stats are not even that good, I highly doubt you care about +Str in the slightest. +Dex is nice for a Mi since its instrumental in powering your headbutt, but not so nice that you can overlook the other issues.

If it was +0 or lacked the -Int it would be a bit more viable, but I dont see many situations where thats worth a MiBe's time.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 10:02

holy shit are you guys serious? this is scale mail with leather AC, that is terrible armour, wear +0 chain mail or plate armour instead

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 7
Arrhythmia, asdu, barretdolph, ldf, mikee, Sandman25, Sar

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 25th April 2015, 10:27

It's a berserker (no spells) so see which one has the highest AC/EV total and go with it. [Normally this would be the leather but with +DEX I'm not certain...probably still the Leather NOT wizmoding it.]
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 26th April 2015, 15:09

Berder wrote:Well, it would be worse for your defenses, but I'd estimate it would be better overall because the stat bonuses will increase your damage and rpois is better than rF early on... except it has that int penalty. There are monsters that drain your int. You will have to run away from brain worms to a safe place, then change armors. Be aware this takes a long time. If you have any other +int equipment it would be good to wear it or at least carry it in your inventory. And since there are more int draining monsters later in the game, I'd stop wearing the armor probably before lair:8.

This is basically what the wiki would sound like if it could talk. Remember that you can use scrolls of random uselessness to summon butterflies against cerebov!
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Kismet, nago, Sar

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 26th April 2015, 20:40

mikee wrote:This is basically what the wiki would sound like if it could talk.

To be fair, the discussion really just boils down to "stats aren't important enough to sacrifice EV" versus "stats are important enough to sacrifice EV". Mocking one side doesn't make it any more or less correct.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th April 2015, 20:42

EV and AC both.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
duvessa

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 26th April 2015, 23:45

There is no 'boiling down'. My point is that there is something you might think of as signal to noise ratio, which means that you don't need to consider every single fact you know about a topic to make or guide a decision about it. This is just like if someone irl were trying to sell you a stained poncho that they found in a dumpster. You don't need to say to yourself, this poncho is big enough that my uncle can wear it one day if he needs to borrow it. A poncho like this featured prominently in an episode of I Dream of Jeannie. It's also shaped like Alaska, a state I traveled to once.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks: 10
archaeo, Arrhythmia, asdu, duvessa, Kismet, Lasty, ldf, nago, rchandra, Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 27th April 2015, 07:04

Obviously buy the poncho. It is better than that scale mail.

For this message the author dirtywick has received thanks:
daggaz

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 27th April 2015, 07:28

mikee wrote:There is no 'boiling down'. My point is that there is something you might think of as signal to noise ratio,

Ah fine. You didn't give enough signal to make your meaning clear, and I guessed wrong.

(that said, the ramifications of the int-4 is, IMO, quite pertinent)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 27th April 2015, 10:28

An Alaska-shaped poncho from "I Dream of Genie" ?? Sold. I'll take two.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th April 2015, 16:37

The int-4's primary purpose is to keep you from being able to make the mistake of wearing a -2 scale mail. I'd stick with the +0 leather of fire resistance, really. But a +0 scale mail (or chain/plate as already mentioned) is an upgrade. You'll find one of those three in 1-3 floors tops, so just wait until you get one.

I highly doubt you care about +Str in the slightest. +Dex is nice for a Mi since its instrumental in powering your headbutt,

Str powers your headbutt as well as dex; each point of str is worth about 71% of a point of dex. So that str+6 gives more "headbutt chance" than the dex +3; but yes, each point of dex is worth a bit more.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 27th April 2015, 23:56

Why did you stop tabbing long enough to read that armor

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice