Set prompt before blink

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 04:07

Set prompt before blink

I have a nasty habit of accidentally casting the basic blink spell when I don't mean to. I don't think I've died because of it yet but have had a few close calls. Is there someway to set it so I get a y/n prompt when I cast blink? I'm playing downloaded tiles if that matters.

Thanks

Barkeep

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 04:17

Re: Set prompt before blink

If you're playing with your keyboard, you can set the spell to a capital letter or to a letter far off from where you're fat-fingering blink. Hit = and then s to get to the menu.

It's hard to imagine how you're accidentally casting it with a mouse, so I assume that will help.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 13:36

I use my mouse to cast, but "I have a bad habit" was hyperbole I've done it like once before now and a few times this game because I left blink near charm spells in my spell bar. I was hitting all my buffs and then accidentally clicked blink. It feels like I do it a lot because the few time I've done it where fights dangerous enough that they required hitting all my buffs so suddenly finding myself out of a carefully selected choke point was less than good lol.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 13:40

It could be useful to have a new option like
confirm_spells = revivification, death's door, blink
Also
confirm_abilities = corrupt, enter abyss, sanctuary
etc.
I have sad experience of casting revivification and invoking corruption accidentally (the former with mouse, the latter with keyboard).

Will a patch be accepted? Though probably it is a question for GDD, not Advice forum.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th April 2015, 22:39

Submitted a patch

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 5
phobetor, rchandra, Sar, Sprucery, xentronium

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 05:41

Hopefully Sandman25's patch works and will make it into trunk. Until then, I use spell_slot to set spells like Blink and Borgnjor's to specific capital letters to reduce this error.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 21st April 2015, 05:44

I've accidentally a lot of things with the mouse. All the spells/abilities are little buttons in offline tiles and they are all right next to each other.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 22:15

You can add an auto annotation in the configuration file in order to get a prompt when trying to read the scroll. Add the following line:

autoinscribe += scrolls? of blinking:!r

This automatically adds a {!r} annotation to the scrolls of blinking, which causes the game to prompt before reading them.

More info: http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Inscription ... scriptions

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice