Real time wins

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 23:02

Real time wins

I am a decent player but I cannot figure this out. How the f do people win in less than an hour?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 23:13

Re: Real time wins

I suppose it's done by tapping 'o' and tab really fast.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 15th April 2015, 23:16

Might want to read this for a few tips. It takes a bit of luck as well.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 16th April 2015, 03:39

Sprucery wrote:I suppose it's done by tapping 'o' and tab really fast.

That's the foundation of it, but you also have to be really fast at playing the game for the times when you can't just mash tab to kill everything, since it doesn't matter how fast you can mash o and tab if you lose three minutes every time such a situation pops up. Knowing when you can dive (lol turncount speedrun strats) also helps getting a really fast win.

Under an hour does take some luck, but under 1:30 is nice and easy. Either way then realtime speedrunning is much easier than turncount speedrunning.
tl;dr practice does some crazy things

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th April 2015, 06:48

-Do you already have your autoexplore and travel speeds set to -1 in your rcfile?
-Before I started realtime speedrunning, I was probably down to 2.5-4 hours on normal wins, but I don't remember exactly. I'd work on that first.
-If you're a Be. you can get to Lair in 1-3 minutes just by taking stairs as soon as you see them and probably not die in lair. Obviously this strategy relies on you finding lair on D8-13 somehow, and that's the part where you need a lot of luck.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th April 2015, 20:01

There are a lot of ways to improve your realtime spent by adjusting your rcfile, including things like automating behavior (auto-sacrifice, auto-eat), automating inventory/spell/ability letter assignment, automating inscriptions and mutes, etc. There's an immense amount of customizability you can take advantage of.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
Rast

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th April 2015, 04:20

Lasty wrote:There are a lot of ways to improve your realtime spent by adjusting your rcfile, including things like automating behavior (auto-sacrifice, auto-eat), automating inventory/spell/ability letter assignment, automating inscriptions and mutes, etc. There's an immense amount of customizability you can take advantage of.

Would be sweet if someone wrote up a guide on that. I know that the documentation is good, but for the lazy would be nice to have a quick "speed up your game" tweaks reference.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice