Ash and Transmuters

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 11:29

Ash and Transmuters

Is this just not worth trying? Having UC, Fighting and Spellcasting are all important for Transmuters and Ash doesn't do anything for them. But keeping up the magic side would be easy. And possible to have high UC, high ranged weapon, and good magic. Still leaves the weapon slot uncursed or worse yet with a ranged weapon.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 11:49

Re: Ash and Transmuters

Ash only gives a boost to magical skills for transmuter.
Chei gives you all stats you need. Chei is the best.

For this message the author radinms has received thanks:
barretdolph

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 11:59

radinms wrote:Ash only gives a boost to magical skills for transmuter.
Chei gives you all stats you need. Chei is the best.

Mostly I play DemonStabber of Ash or Demon/Naga Trans with Chei. Have tried Dis with Stabbers. Fun but not as durable. Just thinking of something different.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 12:21

barretdolph wrote:Still leaves the weapon slot uncursed or worse yet with a ranged weapon.
If you're fighting with BH or IceForm/DrafonForm, you can still curse a weapon (ie : staff of wizardry)...
But that doesn't make (imho) Ash valuable for Tm
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

For this message the author mopl has received thanks:
barretdolph

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 12:27

Merfolk/Minotaur transmuters of Chei are hilariously powerful.

The same can't be said for transmuters of any other god.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

For this message the author Bloax has received thanks:
barretdolph

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 13:58

barretdolph wrote:Mostly I play DemonStabber of Ash or Demon/Naga Trans with Chei. Have tried Dis with Stabbers. Fun but not as durable. Just thinking of something different.
Naga assassin/stabber of Dith can be very powerfull and durable, and fun :) viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15720&p=214580#p214580
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 14:08

mopl wrote:
barretdolph wrote:Still leaves the weapon slot uncursed or worse yet with a ranged weapon.
If you're fighting with BH or IceForm/DrafonForm, you can still curse a weapon (ie : staff of wizardry)...
But that doesn't make (imho) Ash valuable for Tm

I tried this under .16, and Ash didn't boost my UC the way I expected- the weapon skill was boosted instead.

I think that in .13 or .14, you could curse a halberd and get a UC boost while transformed.

The problem may have been that as a merfolk, it was just too easy to get my polearm skill higher than my unarmed, so unarmed was never my highest skill.

I think that "unarmed in forms with a cursed weapon" should be a viable choice because it means either fighting with an unskilled weapon sometimes or training two weapon skills, which are both meaningful costs compared to using bare hands with unarmed skill.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
barretdolph

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 14:15

To date there has not been any way to get ash to give you a boost to your unarmed skill.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 15:04

Eyesburn wrote:
barretdolph wrote:Mostly I play DemonStabber of Ash or Demon/Naga Trans with Chei. Have tried Dis with Stabbers. Fun but not as durable. Just thinking of something different.
Naga assassin/stabber of Dith can be very powerfull and durable, and fun :) viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15720&p=214580#p214580

Thanks...Was going to try that and forgot about it. I will give that a try. Any suggestions on magic? I would like invisibility and haste. After that I am not sure. I think will start as an assassin like you did because I like to get my SB up to around five before moving stealth higher and building up magic. The blowgun is a nice extra and can get most uniques before the temple. And res to poison makes the early game much easier. Also, I like shadow step very much. Lot of fun when it works right. Any suggestions for magic development. Last time I was high in Necro and Summons. Necro because I used pain weapons and Summons for help. But I am not that good at Summons. I like Shadow creatures if for no other reason but it makes Zigs much easier. First to give an idea of what is there and second to let me focus on monsters I need to kill first. But hexes slows down after a while. (Except for discord in Zigs and a few other times.) I guess I will mostly go to Necro again as they fit the stabber theme best. Lich form is nice and fits the theme to some extent. Just wish there was a branch of magic suitable for stabbers in Hell and Pan.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 15:33

Naga stabbers are pretty annoying as enemies tend to move even more during invistabbing.

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 17:46

Bloax wrote:Merfolk/Minotaur transmuters of Chei are hilariously powerful.

TrTm of Chei is the most hilariously powerful. TrTm isn't pretty hard with any other god too (because of their horrible Int and bad magic apts).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 17:59

who cares about Int and spell apts when you are a Troll though

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Dis Charger

Post Monday, 13th April 2015, 23:01

Sar wrote:who cares about Int and spell apts when you are a Troll though
Mid to Late game and extended you need to either find a good Dragon armour or increase your defenses by other means. I like Transmutations on Trolls because it both fills that defense hole and increases the UC even higher and you don't care about Dragon form melding stuff; because odds are you are still in a robe when you get it. hah. MUCH more likely to get Statue or Dragon form than a top tier dragon armour before your 2nd/3rd rune...and it's a move I enjoy making.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 14th April 2015, 05:56

bcadren wrote:
Bloax wrote:Merfolk/Minotaur transmuters of Chei are hilariously powerful.

TrTm of Chei is the most hilariously powerful. TrTm isn't pretty hard with any other god too (because of their horrible Int and bad magic apts).

There's a very good reason I list those two races, and that's because unlike TrTm^Chei your AC/EV is going to be really damn high at all times.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th April 2015, 22:21

Merfolk/Minotaurs are less extremely broken but skill up faster and have no downsides, where trolls skill up slower, have some gaps in defenses at various points in the game, but get claws 3 and ridiculous hp and regen to make up for it. They're basically just different, trolls are still very good, but a bit more tricky.

I've been meaning to try to repeat this speedrun for a long time: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/keyma ... 220142.txt. Haven't done it yet, though.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice