Throwing Nets

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 14:31

Throwing Nets

I find I don't use them even on melee-only characters. When should I?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 14:36

Re: Throwing Nets

Situational. Sometimes it easier to just tab stuff, but if something is really tough netting it provides a little more protection for a couple turns. If it hits that is.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 14:40

ajon wrote:Situational. Sometimes it easier to just tab stuff, but if something is really tough netting it provides a little more protection for a couple turns. If it hits that is.

I wouldn't call "effectively paralyses the monster" a "little more protection", and even though it doesn't prevent spellcasters from blasting you they often seem to be rather occupied with getting out of the net.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 15:11

Haha true, when it works, it is nice and when it misses or only lasts a turn, its not so nice.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 15:37

Nets are great for taking out uniques, slowing down fast enemies, etc. Does anybody know the numerical effect on EV, both player and monster? It seems like they're also useful for high-EV enemies like Imps, even though they can blink away -- as long as they are in the net I feel like they're easier to hit. But I don't know if that's a real effect.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 19:04

Ancient lichs. For a stabber they are pure awesome for killing ancient lichs. no need for throwing skill, just toss a net from melee range, stab, and laugh.

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 19:13

Nets are awesome and you should always use them on all characters. Even with no throwing skill, you often immobilize surprisingly strong monsters (e.g. ancient liches, most uniques), which means they're basically dead.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 19:17

I always thought they were so rare that you never get a stack large enough to bother carrying them (problem with other rare-ish ammos like arrows of disjunction); that is unless you are ^Oka. It's like an inventory slot (which gets to be prime real estate by mid-game) for something you may use a couple times. I tend to pick a high tier wand or elemental evocable instead. IDK.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 19:19

I use nets only with weak characters, SpEn would be a typical example. MiBe, GhMo or MuNe does not want to spend time on nets when it can kill the monster reliably by conventional methods. I learned it after wasting 3 turns trying to land a net on Ancient Lich.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 19:32

Sometimes your posts make me scratch my head, Sandman. "Weak characters as SpEn" coming from somebody who plays Mummies of Chei because everything else is too easy is just puzzling.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

mps

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 19:53

bcadren wrote:I always thought they were so rare that you never get a stack large enough to bother carrying them (problem with other rare-ish ammos like arrows of disjunction); that is unless you are ^Oka. It's like an inventory slot (which gets to be prime real estate by mid-game) for something you may use a couple times. I tend to pick a high tier wand or elemental evocable instead. IDK.

? ? ?

I have never found that inventory space was a reason not to carry nets. They are extremely effective and if anything people underuse them relative to the number that generate. They're great against monsters strong enough to break them in a few turns, they're great against monsters you'll kill before they break out. They distract enemies so your attacks get extra damage, idk if what Bloax mentions about them seeming to cast less is accurate, but it does match with my own impression/experience. They remain useful throughout the game with little or no skill investment.

I repeat, using nets is great.
Dungeon Crawling Advice tl;dr: Protect ya neck.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 20:02

Nets ~trivialize~ most lords (except for Cerebov and Anta, they're giant) for stabbers.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
cerebovssquire

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 21:02

Sar wrote:Sometimes your posts make me scratch my head, Sandman. "Weak characters as SpEn" coming from somebody who plays Mummies of Chei because everything else is too easy is just puzzling.

I am not sure why you are surprised provided I was talking about ALich. Mu of Chei is stronger than SpEn in Zot 5, it can kill 2-3 Orbs of Fire non-stop because it has huge AC/EV/Str and normal HP. SpEn has -30%HP, low AC and deals low damage. Though as Mu of Chei I usually use Silence vs ALich.

Edit. To be clear, I use nets early game but I usually drop them long before Zot. My current character is DgEn and it dropped nets before Vaults (to save inventory slot).

Edit2. I should try nets vs pan lords, they have huge HP so it makes sense indeed.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 21:18

My current char is a weirdly skilled OpIE of Dith and I netstabbed Mara in the face and it was great!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 21:34

Sar wrote:Nets ~trivialize~ most lords (except for Cerebov and Anta, they're giant) for stabbers.

I've always said Cerebov was the hardest lord, and I stand by that. Although changes with Anta (flash freeze or whatever that is called) and lom lobon (I think his tornado is new? I'm not sure when that was added exactly) are bringing them closer, I'd still give a slight lead to Cerebov. In any case, on topic, wouldn't it be a good idea to make them all immune to nets? I feel like being able to net and stab a pan/hell lord to death in 1-2 stabs is something you'd want to remove for balance reasons. If that means they all become giant, fine by me.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 22:48

I was wrong. With 0 throwing there is 50% chance to catch Ancient Lich in a net (starting OpFi)

Code:
You throw a throwing net {!f=f, !d}.
You: Base to-hit: 20, Final to-hit: 12; To_land=12 ev=10; Margin = 2
The throwing net {!f=f, !d} hits the ancient lich.(damage 0)
The ancient lich is caught in the net!
The ancient lich points at you and mumbles some strange words.
Beam attack: 32, defence: 10; Beam new attack: 30, defence: 8
The iron shot hits you!
Ouch! That really hurt!
Die?
Thought so.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 10th April 2015, 23:19

tasonir wrote: I feel like being able to net and stab a pan/hell lord to death in 1-2 stabs is something you'd want to remove for balance reasons. If that means they all become giant, fine by me.

You overestimate stabbing; I've caught both Cerebov and Lom Lobon asleep with a short blade and something like 20 stabbing, and that wasn't enough to one-shot them. With a tier 2 stab, I think it's more like 4-5 stabs -- and even then, not every attack will be a stab (maybe... 40% of attacks are?), and you still have to take the time to throw the net which takes as much time as another 2-3 melee attacks per attempt.

For this message the author Hurkyl has received thanks:
tasonir

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice