stealth questions and advice needed

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 11:01

stealth questions and advice needed

I don't understand the calculations for stealth. I have a level 7 demonspawn with 15 dex and all three levels of nightstalker and level 3 skill for stealth. According to the wiki that should be (3x15) + (3x120) or 405. I am not sure how the base stealth fits in but I am in robes and my stealth is listed as quite stealthy. But according to the wiki it should be Incredibly stealthy.

Any further advice on how to develop this character would be appreciated. Is high stealth at high levels as well? I already have one level of ant which goes great with darkness and one level of rough black which actually is very good. I worship Chei and losing three dex to get 10 AC is worth it because I won't be using too much heavy armor. Now my UC is 5, Trans 4.7, Inv 0, and stealth is 3. I will be putting most into UC and some into Inv for a while to get my UC up to 10 and my Inv so I can start using the abilities of Chei. Problems will, as I see it, how to deal with mobs. It will depend a little on the other second tier and the third tier mutants.

On a completely unrelated note. Last time I was up to level 8 with only small ant as my mutation. This time I got three mutations which I like very much and all fairly early.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 11:06

Stealth can be reduced in different ways - would you mind showing your actual dump in code tags?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 12:25

Re: stealth questions and advice needed

3x15 (Dex) +3x15 (Stealth) + 3x40 (Nightstalker) = 210

Code:
3.@ values are: extremely un 0, very un < 50, un < 100, fairly < 150, (no modifier) stealthy < 200, quite < 250, very < 300, extremely < 350, extraordinarily < 400, incredibly < 500, uncannily otherwise. (Pre-0.15 was more irregular.)

https://loom.shalott.org/learndb.html#stealth

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 14:18

The wiki states "At this point, other flat modifiers are applied. These look much larger numerically, but bear in mind that modifiers affecting your base Stealth Factor and base Stealth Score may be magnified many times over:" The 120 from Nightstalker falls into this category, so I don't think your Stealth skill's going to magnify that any.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 14:35

Giant Orange Brainbow Dash wrote:The wiki states "At this point, other flat modifiers are applied. These look much larger numerically, but bear in mind that modifiers affecting your base Stealth Factor and base Stealth Score may be magnified many times over:" The 120 from Nightstalker falls into this category, so I don't think your Stealth skill's going to magnify that any.

What do you mean? Only Umbra has this positive effect, it is applied last and multiplies current score.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 14:45

"Nightstalker mutation: +40 per rank" means he'd only gain +120 for 3 ranks of the mutation. The Stealth skill has no impact on that. In his original calculations, it seemed as though he was including that flat bonus in the list of things the Stealth skill magnifies. At Stealth 27, his calculations would give us +(27 x 120) stealth, or +3,240, which I think would make the game a little too easy to be fair :P

For this message the author Giant Orange Brainbow Dash has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th March 2015, 14:53

I still have problem with "but bear in mind that modifiers affecting your base Stealth Factor and base Stealth Score may be magnified many times over". It is wrong (or poorly worded, I cannot understand it as non-native English speaker), it contradicts to the wiki itself:
  Code:
Your character's base Stealth Score equals
(3 × Dexterity) + (Stealth Skill × Stealth Factor)

Base Stealth Score can be positively magnified only once (by Umbra), all other magnifiers are negative (shallow water, corona/halo, orb, confusion, berserk, lantern). Also Umbra magnifies everything, not just "base Stealth Factor and base Stealth Score" so getting +50 from an item is always better than getting +45 from training some levels in stealth.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 04:20

Having a non-crappy stealth factor and a high stealth skill are probably the most important; at stealth 27 with a stealth factor of 18 (small or stealthy races) you get 486 stealth.

Nightstalker and antenna are a stabber's wetdream, by the way. You don't get a chance like this very often.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 12:21

Thanks, the wiki has it as
(3 × Dexterity) + (Stealth skill × Stealth Factor)
which doesn't make sense as then it would be too easy for a nightstalker to go to absurd levels of stealth.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 12:28

In that fragment wiki is right.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 14:17

barretdolph wrote:Thanks, the wiki has it as
(3 × Dexterity) + (Stealth skill × Stealth Factor)
which doesn't make sense as then it would be too easy for a nightstalker to go to absurd levels of stealth.

"Stealth Factor" is an intrinsic quality of your species (like the base MR you get from each character level).

Nightstalker mutation does not increase your "Stealth Factor." It just adds a flat amount to your stealth as a bonus.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 11th March 2015, 23:04

Thanks for your help everyone. I just didn't understand the formula. I thought the nightstalker was multiplied by skill rather than just added on.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice