When gifting, does Okawaru consider Heroism enhancement?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 04:01

When gifting, does Okawaru consider Heroism enhancement?

I used Heroism, and suddenly I was receiving multiple Throwing gifts from Okawaru. I had never trained throwing, but now it was at 7 (Gladiator).

Should Okawaru really be considering his own Heroism enhancement when selecting skills to gift, or does this not really matter?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 04:20

Re: When gifting, does Okawaru consider Heroism enhancement?

It appears that acquire.cc uses player::skills, the vector of "actual" skill values. The Heroism bonus is applied when player::skill(...) is called. So I think you experienced a coincidence.

e: For completeness: The entry point from religion.cc also uses real skills exclusively.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 13:46

Sivar wrote:It appears that acquire.cc uses player::skills, the vector of "actual" skill values. The Heroism bonus is applied when player::skill(...) is called. So I think you experienced a coincidence.

e: For completeness: The entry point from religion.cc also uses real skills exclusively.

But I didn't think it was possible to get throwing gifts if you don't have a skill over a certain value.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 13:57

XuaXua wrote:But I didn't think it was possible to get throwing gifts if you don't have a skill over a certain value.

it wasnt, but it is now

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 16:47

this is going to damage Oka's reputation of consistently stellar gifts

For this message the author nicolae has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 16:54

nicolae wrote:this is going to damage Oka's reputation of consistently stellar gifts

By the way I don't understand all that hate towards Oka. Its gifts are inferior to Trog only (except late game where I usually have a good weapon and want some armour, at this stage Oka is the best). I had games where Sif Muna never gifted Singularity (I had 20+ Translocations), Kiku didn't give Animate Skeleton, Vehumet didn't give Bolt of Cold etc.
If Oka would grant consistently stellar gifts, it would be nerfed immediately and I don't want it to happen, I am fine with getting storm bow for pure melee characters :)

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 18:08

Since the threshold on Ammo gifts is lower than for Armour your first Oka gift just now is always ammo (thrown if no other skill, even with 0 thrown). But the first armour gift isnt too far behind and they are separate timers I think so it doesnt bother me much. I quite like his gifts, egos for aux armour slots are not always available, yet is useually something he will cover during a run.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 4th February 2015, 18:32

I like Okawaru's gifts in general. My latest winner had 4 weapons and 2 pieces of armour gifted by Okawaru in inventory at the end. And the character was an AM so most of the gifts received during the game were bolts.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 05:56

celem wrote: But the first armour gift isnt too far behind and they are separate timers I think so it doesnt bother me much.

They are not, but the timer before you can receive your next gift is much lower if you received ammo last.

For this message the author Sivar has received thanks:
celem

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 5th February 2015, 11:42

His gifts are great IMHO. Sure, you get some stinkers (I recall getting the '-1 Shield of Fun and Games {rPois, -2 INT}' directly after the Shield of the Gong fixedart once), but that's part of the fun. Getting bonus arrows and javelins makes being a hunter nice.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 6th February 2015, 11:34

I for one dont like his insistence on gifting me piles and piles of tomahawks. His gifts were always a bit of a crapshoot before, and not the strongest reason to choose him by any means, but now they are severely watered down if you are hoping for occasional armour surprises.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice