Can I encounter newly generated player ghosts online?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 05:44

Can I encounter newly generated player ghosts online?

If I'm playing online for a couple floors, then I save and leave the game for a couple days, when I come back and explore new, previously unexplored, floors with this same character, is it possible to encounter player ghosts that were created during the time I had not been playing?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 17:55

Re: Can I encounter newly generated player ghosts online?

To clarify:

I'm playing a crawl game online. I save and leave for 3 days. Other players come and go and die, creating ghosts.

I come back and start playing again.

Is it possible for those ghosts that were created during the 3 days I was gone to appear in my game in unexplored / newly-generated floors?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 18:23

As far as I know player ghosts are placed when you enter a level. So when you return to you game after the break and enter a new level, you have a chance to get a ghost which has not been used in any other game yet.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 20:55

As I understand it, ghost files are located at playtime rather than game start time (otherwise it'd get messy if another game used the bones file in the meantime...). So yes, you can get bones created after the start of your game, and this is even quite likely on very busy servers.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice