Conjuration Powers

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 31st December 2010, 08:01

Conjuration Powers

What are the relative powers of all the single target Conjurations spells? No doubt LCS is on top and Magic Dart/Sting are on bottom. But in between...

For example, if you have Throw Icicle, Iskerndun's Mystic Blast, and Stone Arrow, which would do more damage? Assuming ice=earth=conjurations skill levels.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 31st December 2010, 17:11

Re: Conjuration Powers

At max power, Throw Icicle does 3d20 damage, 25% of which is resistible by rC (it's the best, generally :P). IMB does 2d28, all of which is irresistible. Stone Arrow does 2d12 in 0.7, which is awful, but 3d11 in 0.8 which is pretty good - if you have both IMB and Stone Arrow at the same power level, they'll do about the same damage, but Stone Arrow has a lower power cap so it'll max out a lot earlier.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 11:16

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:At max power, Throw Icicle does 3d20 damage, 25% of which is resistible by rC. IMB does 2d28, all of which is irresistible. Stone Arrow does 2d12 in 0.7, which is awful, but 3d11 in 0.8.
Where do I find this information? I'd love to know the ds of Bolt of Magma and Fireball, too, for comparison, and range.

What is the best long range fire or conjuration spell. I'm still using throw flame. I also use orb of destruction, but it's slow, and inaccurate and MP expensive. If there is a resource that lists the damage, range, and additional effects in a nice sheet, I'd love it.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 11:42

Where do I find this information? I'd love to know the ds of Bolt of Magma and Fireball, too, for comparison, and range.

What is the best long range fire or conjuration spell. I'm still using throw flame. I also use orb of destruction, but it's slow, and inaccurate and MP expensive. If there is a resource that lists the damage, range, and additional effects in a nice sheet, I'd love it.
I found this:
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?t ... _by_school
Which lists give spells a powercap and range listing. What does the powercap number mean. I know higher is better, but what do 200 vs 40 mean in terms of real damage? And how do I know how close to cap it is? If something is most #s in II, is it close to cap damage of the real number, like 200?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 14:53

Yeah the game really should be more clear on power. I get why they wanted the dots, so they could show that there would be a maximum proficiency at a point, but could there not also be some kind of d6 or whatever score to give a general idea of how powerful something is?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 18:10

I got those numbers from the LearnDB, you could also look in the source code. zap-data.h has the numbers used for generating the damage dice. beam.cc has the code for that but I think I'm doing something wrong trying to figure it out.

Poison Arrow is probably the most efficient high-level conjuration in terms of range, power and MP cost, at least against things with no rPois or only rPois+.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 21:32

Not quite. It does 30% damage to enemies with rPois+++ which is definitely not worth the cost, but it's not terrible against things with just rPois+ (it does about half damage, as well as still being able to inflict poison).

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 01:08

I never really liked poison arrow, but I guess I didn't really give it a fair shake. Who could blame me; the description says it does a lot of damage, but the dots are meh. Another case of the game needing a more exact damage calculation.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice