When do you use your potion of cure mutation?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Roy

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 03:16

When do you use your potion of cure mutation?

How bad of a set of mutations do you need to have before you're willing to drink a potion of cure mutations?

For example, right now I have four potions of cure mutation and one bad mutation, teleportitis 1. (I have Hell and Pan to go.) In this case, I feel like it's a clear "drink". In other cases where I only had one mutation, I'd probably live with it.

Thoughts?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 03:30

Re: When do you use your potion of cure mutation?

If the bad mutation in question is currently interfering with my enjoyment of my character, I'll throw as many cure mutation potions at the problem as necessary in order to fix it. Teleportitis is really obnoxious; it would still be annoying even if it only teleported me to cleared rooms because that sort of thing wears thin real quick. If the bad mutations aren't bothering me, on the other hand, I don't care how many accumulate.

Those four potions aren't going to do you any good sitting in your stash. If you get another bad mutation later, you can deal with that then.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 04:50

KoboldLord wrote:If the bad mutation in question is currently interfering with my enjoyment of my character, I'll throw as many cure mutation potions at the problem as necessary in order to fix it. Teleportitis is really obnoxious; it would still be annoying even if it only teleported me to cleared rooms because that sort of thing wears thin real quick. If the bad mutations aren't bothering me, on the other hand, I don't care how many accumulate.

Those four potions aren't going to do you any good sitting in your stash. If you get another bad mutation later, you can deal with that then.

Generally this, and whenever I feel that the mutations in question run the risk of killing me(like ranks of frail, for example, or blurry vision if I'm relying on !tele to run away from something dangerous.)

For this message the author TheArcanist has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 06:04

I tend to remove "good" mutations that block armour too. I only ever 3-rune, so I don't really have to worry about 'wasting' curemuts since I'm not likely to get mutated before I'm about to win anyway. So I play benemut roulette and sometimes burn a curemut on that. Other than that, pretty much the same as above.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 06:20

Thalfon wrote:I tend to remove "good" mutations that block armour too. I only ever 3-rune, so I don't really have to worry about 'wasting' curemuts since I'm not likely to get mutated before I'm about to win anyway. So I play benemut roulette and sometimes burn a curemut on that. Other than that, pretty much the same as above.

The same.
English is NOT my native language.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 11:30

Thalfon wrote:I tend to remove "good" mutations that block armour too. I only ever 3-rune, so I don't really have to worry about 'wasting' curemuts since I'm not likely to get mutated before I'm about to win anyway. So I play benemut roulette and sometimes burn a curemut on that. Other than that, pretty much the same as above.

You grow a small pair of horns!
Your +5 helmet Argonaut {sinv, +rF, +6 slay, ++MR} falls off!!

Oh joy.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 13:06

If I had t-itis and had just one CM pot I would use it.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 13:10

I completely stopped drinking benemut just because of Horns/Hooves/Claws.

As far as curemut goes - lately I've been getting enough of those to chug them whenever something dangerous pops in my A window.

Frankly, you can ignore whatever's not impairing you at the moment - for instance -MP, WildMagic so forth for melee dudes.
You can work around some mutations - Berserkitis for instance - through clarity or stasis.

In the end, I would chug them if the mutations I have are annoying or outright dangerous.
I, however, like to keep at least 1 curemut as a "golden reserve" - just in case I happen to get extremely mutated...

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 06:56

Only 2 of the 5 body mutations actually negatively affect your character (horns/antenne). The other three still allow the aux equipment. It basically does nothing if you get talons 1/2 or whatever.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 1st February 2015, 10:39

I rarely mind overly much about horns 1/2 to be honest, it's rare that it displaces a helmet so awesome that I cant even find a hat that I feel is worth wearing. I dont drink benemut without curemut on hand however, just incase I get something like this situation (or -EV scales which I dislike, or hooves on stealthy types). I would love antenna, unless i'm following Ashenzari, in which case they are gone.

If I get 3 or 4 bad mutations I will often drink cure regardless of if they are impacting the character, should something more critical pop-up later I want it to be 1-quaff from gone, I dont much like chugging repeatedly in hope that what I need to fall off vanishes when I want it to. Additionally if I get some random positives through regular play (which I see a modest amount) then it's nice to be able to keep them as long as possible, which is easiest when they land on a 'blank sheet'.

Really bad (instant cure) for me is limited to shoutitis 2+ if I'm still using Stealth, any level of berserkitis on a light armour/conjurations user and the stat-decay at 2+ (1 if SustAb is not part of my regular gear). Teleportitis I can often live with through stasis, though I wouldnt tolerate it without, or with self-cast Haste online.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice