Low-slaying Speed or high-slaying Fire?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 28th January 2015, 23:13

Low-slaying Speed or high-slaying Fire?

I've gotten a Centaur Hunter of Trog to just past Orc and Trog gifted me an artefact longbow of speed. The catch? Its slaying value is at a pitiful -1. I've been using a +6 longbow of fire for most of the game. I have plenty of branded ammuntion to use with a speed-branded longbow, so my question is simple - is it really worth it to tank a huge slaying penalty for a speed brand? Is the brand really *that* good?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th January 2015, 23:21

Re: Low-slaying Speed or high-slaying Fire?

Speed is +50% damage. Flaming is +25% damage on average. (Of course the difference in attack delay is sometimes relevant because of overkill).

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 28th January 2015, 23:28

duvessa wrote:Speed is +50% damage. Flaming is +25% damage on average. (Of course the difference in attack delay is sometimes relevant because of overkill).

I'm well aware that speed is a better brand than fire; hell, I even mention that I have branded ammunition to make that difference kind of moot. What I was wondering was if taking an effective slaying penalty of 7(one that will only get higher as I find more enchanting scrolls) was worth it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th January 2015, 23:33

I would use fsim to know which is better.

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Barkeep

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 02:35

... and if you don't want to use fsim, shoot some dudes with each bow and see which seems to work better.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 02:54

Well, the question is now completely moot, because Trog ended up gifting me a +10 longbow of speed not too long after.

I should probably figure out how to work fsim, though. It sounds handy.

For this message the author TheArcanist has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 10:01

njvack wrote:... and if you don't want to use fsim, shoot some dudes with each bow and see which seems to work better.

Except this doesn't really work well unless one bow is doing like double the damage of the other.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 10:42

Hurkyl wrote:
njvack wrote:... and if you don't want to use fsim, shoot some dudes with each bow and see which seems to work better.

Except this doesn't really work well unless one bow is doing like double the damage of the other.

Yes, not only because humans are generally awful at noticing small differences - but also because crawl combat is so volatile that even fsim often prints differing results.

Which long story short means that your chances of working out what two items close in power are the actual better one are just about zero.
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

ldf

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 15:22

Bloax wrote:Which long story short means that your chances of working out what two items close in power are the actual better one are just about zero.

Why would you care then?

For this message the author ldf has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, Lasty, njvack

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 30th January 2015, 16:34

If you can't tell whether one weapon is more effective than another via in-game trial, the odds of the difference mattering in actual gameplay are trivial. Taking the time to fsim the situation is remarkably unlikely to improve your odds of winning. Putting the time it takes to fsim it into increased care and attention while playing probably will slightly increase your odds of winning.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 31st January 2015, 01:07

ldf wrote:
Bloax wrote:Which long story short means that your chances of working out what two items close in power are the actual better one are just about zero.

Why would you care then?

You wouldn't. But the point still applies to items that are not close in power, and you do care about that.

... although "close in power" is a bit surjective, and people in this forum often make big deals over things I would call "close in power". (e.g. in the late game, refusing to take off a ring of slaying +6 for any reason)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice