Demonspawn good at late game play? considering DsBe maybe

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 24th January 2015, 08:21

Demonspawn good at late game play? considering DsBe maybe

not sure how good it will play out but ill give it a few runs and see

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 24th January 2015, 08:26

Re: Demonspawn good at late game play? considering DsBe mayb

not the squishy-est race ive played but damn one wrong worm early can beat you one on one half the time lol.. if i did try this build for a win would i train dex all the way?

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 24th January 2015, 08:47

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Gakhan/Gakhan.txt -- really early but yeah.. i was going to try a caster after my MiFi build but dang they are so easy to smack dead lol.. cant make it past D:5 :/

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th January 2015, 13:55

Pretty much any race can be good in the lategame.

The thing that worries me the most about your dump is the fact that didn't ID a single scroll or a potion. Read scrolls, use scrolls of ID one potions. But use the first scroll of ID on that wand of hasting. This will prevent it from wasting multiple charges per zap when you recharge it (I believe it is empty now as 9 charges is the limit on hasting wands).

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
nago

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th January 2015, 01:26

I'm quite fond of Ds in late-game play - generally, if I can get them that far, I'll win with them. It's the early game that tends to murder my demonspawn.

With a DsBe in particular, though, by the time you get your first few runes, you'll probably have a good demon whip/trident/blade or two as your end-game weapon (brand weapon and enchant weapon will help here, but it's entirely possible to get gifted +9 gear and useful artefacts). There's more than enough XP for you to add a good shield to balance out the one-handed weapon by the time you get that far. And by the time you're dancing around Pan and the Hells, you'll have maxed your primary skills, so the -1 aptitudes don't hurt.

Plus, you'll get yourself a pretty awesome set of bonuses through mutation. Odds are you'll end up with at least an AC bonus, an aux attack, and some resistances...and the top-tier Ds mutations can be extremely helpful.

The only real negatives in the late game are the fairly obvious ones: you can get a holy Pan floor, you can't use a weapon of holy wrath, and you can't switch to the good gods.

Basically,

Pros: Lots of useful mutations (Ds), probably demon weapon (Be), aptitudes no longer an issue (late-game)
Cons: Holy Pan floors, no good gods, no holy wrath weapons, possibly lose access to valuable gear (body-slot mutation could prevent, say, boots of running)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th January 2015, 01:43

I would probably use a two-hander on a Be unless I had a really good shield or a really good one-hander.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
duvessa

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th January 2015, 06:42

i got killed multiple times and was going to try the gargoyle but i think ill stick the demonspawn out.. maybe not go berserker, gladiator perhaps. yeah a holy pan level would squish me fast..i had a couple on my last win lol

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th January 2015, 09:20

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Gakhan/Gakhan.txt -- started an abyssal knight char and i am liking the god spells. blink and banish are nice, havnt used the corrupt dungeon spell yet.. first time ever playing as an abyssal knight and im at lvl 11, not feeling to bad about the char.. anyone see anything im doing wrong? im unsure about using the +2 large shield with 0 shield skill lol. is that hurting more than it helps me right now? --

edit- hit the lair and slew my first 8 headed hydra with a +1 spear of flaming i pulled off an orc knight (slew the hydra with the help of my demonic guardian) the free demon friend has saved me more than once already, a nice mutation to have for sure.. hope it gives me the final stronger demon eventually

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 25th January 2015, 13:59

Read ID those scrolls. You're at D:11 and have only one scroll known.

Pretty sure that large shield is affecting your DPS at zero skill. It also appears to be the only thing keeping you alive as you don't have any defenses trained minus fighting. Should start training the others ASAP.
3 rune: MiBe, MiGl, OgHu
5: VSWn
8: DgSk
15: MiMo, DsAr

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 25th January 2015, 15:10

Personally, I'd wear an heavier armour, possibly a plate, but you have already good dex, if you pump it a little more you can certainly go with a ring mail and lot of EV. But yes you should start to train armour or dodging.
For the weapon, I'd swap the trident for something good asap - aka I'd use the corrupt power you have acquired. If you want to go with 1hander (but I wouldn't use a large shield with 0 skill, a buckler is definitely not a problem, and a shield is kinda ok) I'd corrupt a spear (cause it has a min delay of 5 aut), if going 2 hander, a glaive.

For dangerous thing with low mr you should really use banishment, at least after you've corrupted a weapon (losing the last * at that point doesn't change anything) - it's very good and avoid risk, like meleing a 8-headed hydra with a spear with defences like those
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 25th January 2015, 17:43

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Gakha ... 095950.txt .. had the "just one more floor" mentality.. and my last floor of the night held the minotaurs lair.. i found the middle of the maze very quickly and forgot i had banishment and let myself die like an idiot..oh well,back to the drawing board.. took me near 400 tries to win once, didnt expect to win the first try with this build xD

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice