Where's my rPoison?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2011, 16:12

Where's my rPoison?

Any source divers know if there's any guarantee of eventually getting a poison resistant item?

I'm playing the 0.8.0rc, MiFi picked up Trog at temple. Am now lvl12, 10+ dungeon levels deep, cleared out 8 levels of Lair, did a labyrinth, have god-gifted weaponry but found nothing with rP. Even a scroll of acquire didn't help.

Delved as daringly as I could in the swamp looking for swamp dragons to skin. But can't really progress too much more without poison resistance.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2011, 16:18

Re: Where's my rPoison?

Nothing is guaranteed.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2011, 17:37

I had a game where I found no poison resistance until zot. By then I certainly didn't need it.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2011, 19:07

I suppose it's more of a convenience if anything. Half of the benefit is to allow you to eat poison corpses, but if you're getting enough to eat there's no need. Otherwise just be careful, kill them before they can poison you.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2011, 21:42

dpeg wrote:Nothing is guaranteed.

Which is one thing I do enjoy about Crawl very much. In my first ascension I was confronted with Slime and no resist corrosion. I won with Swamp (easy) + Vault (went OK) + Shoals (It took me to single digit HP more than once). If I had resist corrosion I likely would have done that rather than the end of Shoals. I was actually mulling Abyss scumming... 'Nothing Guarenteed' == 'Fun Choices', IMHO.

For this message the author Shade has received thanks:
Grimm

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 28th April 2011, 12:12

In the end I got a Trog gift with rP+ and found a ring of poison resist... in the hive.

I'm now quite excited. This is further than I've ever been (without wiz mode) and I've never before cleared out the lair or the orcish mines, now both are devoid of life. Next I'm going to try and get my first ever rune, in the Swamp.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 28th April 2011, 12:52

I was pleasantly surprised to see how doable Snake is without rPois, last time I was there. In fact since the spellcasting nagas there can poison you anyway when you do have it... I'm definitely with the people who say its main benefit is eating poisonous chunks.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 28th April 2011, 13:06

The only thing close to a mandatory requirement for rPois is if you're a fan of Toxic Radiance and don't want to keep poisoning yourself.

Swamp without rPois but with clarity is also pretty doable. Hive can get painful, but there are still ways to handle it.

It's not like Nethack where there is insta-death poison.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 28th April 2011, 13:19

The first means of rPoison that I found in my current game was on the bottom of the Vaults. All it meant was that I had to take the Hive and Snake Pit a bit slower than usual and burn through a bunch of !healing. A much bigger issue was the lack of sInv throughout most of the game, which created some really hairy situations even late in the game.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 29th April 2011, 01:59

joellercoaster wrote:I was pleasantly surprised to see how doable Snake is without rPois, last time I was there. In fact since the spellcasting nagas there can poison you anyway when you do have it... I'm definitely with the people who say its main benefit is eating poisonous chunks.

I know realism is the enemy of fun, but that becomes really counter insinuative, IMHO. Not that I don't use the heck out of it. Maybe chunks should allow for more than one status and monsters should be adjusted? Maybe rPois should make poisonous chunks into the type of chunks that give you a chance of making you sick, instead of turning into clean chunks? Maybe rMut should do the same for mutanigenic chunks? I dunno.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 29th April 2011, 03:59

Shade wrote:
joellercoaster wrote:I was pleasantly surprised to see how doable Snake is without rPois, last time I was there. In fact since the spellcasting nagas there can poison you anyway when you do have it... I'm definitely with the people who say its main benefit is eating poisonous chunks.

I know realism is the enemy of fun, but that becomes really counter insinuative, IMHO. Not that I don't use the heck out of it. Maybe chunks should allow for more than one status and monsters should be adjusted? Maybe rPois should make poisonous chunks into the type of chunks that give you a chance of making you sick, instead of turning into clean chunks? Maybe rMut should do the same for mutanigenic chunks? I dunno.

Huh? Chunks can have more than one status in 0.8. For example, hydra chunks are poisonous and contaminated.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 1st May 2011, 20:20

lucy_ferre wrote:Huh? Chunks can have more than one status in 0.8. For example, hydra chunks are poisonous and contaminated.

The more you know. :)

Any idea if all of the monsters have been audited in a similar way? (And sorry for adding any confusion there.) I'm just getting into .8. It's probably simple enough to rummage through the data files and find out but I'm feeling lazy.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice