Bug or Feature? Questions too small to need their own thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2011, 16:14

Bug or Feature? Questions too small to need their own thread

Sometimes if you found a bug, you're not quite sure.

Post here if you found something you think is a bug.

Someone else will post you a response if it is a bug or feature. Give them a thank you click if it was satisfactory.

Don't respond if someone already responded correctly.

If you need to explore the question / bug / issue further, or it is larger than a one-off, start its own thread somewhere.

Before you post, check the Knowledge Bots first.

I'll start.

QUESTION
I can't seem to cast Animate Dead on a Sky Beast corpse.
I cast it successfully ("You call on the dead to rise...") but the corpse is still there.

Am I just that untalented or can they actually not be raised? Is it because they are mutagenic? Is this be noted somewhere?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
joellercoaster

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2011, 18:15

Re: Bug or Feature? Questions too small to need their own th

It is pretty hit or miss actually. The rule of thumb for raising dead for me is "does it have a skeleton?" If you can make a skeleton out of it, you can raise it as a zombie. So you can't use raise dead on eye corpses, giant amoebas, or necrophages either. I think you can make a zombie out of a guardian serpent even though it's corpse is mutagenic. Note there are exceptions to this rule, but I can't think of anything at the moment that is especially odd that you can't raise.

For this message the author LunarHarp has received thanks:
XuaXua

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2011, 21:10

Also, lots and lots of things that don't leave skeletons can be animated.

Also also, necrophages do leave skeletons.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2011, 22:14

Well there you go. I didn't realize ugly things left skeletons. Can ugly thing skeletons be animated with Animate Skeleton or the like? Shadow dragons are also strange. After getting used to HCL corpses not being able to be raised, you can get shadow dragon zombies.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 27th April 2011, 15:40

BUG OR FEATURE QUESTION

Entered an Ice Cave; got to the treasure at the end. Four spellbooks. Two of the spellbooks are Books of Frost (different colors). Prior to this, I found two Manuals of Ice Magic. I guess 2 manuals is useful, but it kind of seems like a crappy reward to get two of the same spellbook.

Is there a way to prevent this sort of thing? Should there be?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 28th April 2011, 12:53

Getting multiples of the same book is a lot more useful if scrolls of amnesia aren't generating for you and you need to forget some spells.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 28th April 2011, 13:57

Stormfox wrote:Getting multiples of the same book is a lot more useful if scrolls of amnesia aren't generating for you and you need to forget some spells.

I don't understand this.

bt

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 28th April 2011, 14:13

XuaXua wrote:
Stormfox wrote:Getting multiples of the same book is a lot more useful if scrolls of amnesia aren't generating for you and you need to forget some spells.

I don't understand this.

You can (F)orget a spell you know by reading a book which contains this spell (same as (M)emorise).
The book will be destroyed in the process.

Nim

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 29th April 2011, 05:51

I need a +3 ice dragon armour for a trove.
Killed an ice dragon, got a hide, used an enchant armor scroll on it,presto an ice dragon armor. But I can't enchant it further ? From looking at it in wizmode there seem to be 2 kind of ice dragon armor ? Ice dragon armour from hide is " an uncursed ice dragon armour" while directly inserted armour is called "+0 ice dragon armour". So how do I get my +3 armour ?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 29th April 2011, 06:51

That just means it's not identified yet. If you put it on, it'll give away the enchantment (and the trove will accept it, once it's at +3).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
Nim

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 30th April 2011, 17:13

I've got a question :

I just fought Boris and I noticed that all of my summons (hydrae, shadow creatures) would flee from him, even when I told them to attack. Having found nothing on the knowledge bots, I wondered if this was normal (playing 0.9 btw) ?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th April 2011, 17:49

A spy wrote:I've got a question :

I just fought Boris and I noticed that all of my summons (hydrae, shadow creatures) would flee from him, even when I told them to attack. Having found nothing on the knowledge bots, I wondered if this was normal (playing 0.9 btw) ?

Did Boris cast Invisibility earlier in the fight? Summons that don't have see or sense invisibility won't be able to attack him, even if you have SInv equipment and don't even notice a difference.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
A spy

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th April 2011, 19:48

bt wrote:
XuaXua wrote:

I don't understand this.

You can (F)orget a spell you know by reading a book which contains this spell (same as (M)emorise).
The book will be destroyed in the process.

That is terrible, but OK.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th April 2011, 19:50

My necromancer recently used Pain and Vampiric Draining to take down some Death Yaks, but didn't gain the expected thousand or so experience points.

Did something maybe happen, or do either of those spells cause the Draining effect per the Wand of Draining, which reduces the experience points gained from a target?

If so, it's not in the description of the spells.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 30th April 2011, 19:58

xuaxua: just in case you mixed threads up, you got some answers here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1447

by the way, it'd be a good idea to merge these two threads. they do serve a purpose, but there's only need for one of them.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st May 2011, 14:32

absolutego wrote:xuaxua: just in case you mixed threads up, you got some answers here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1447

by the way, it'd be a good idea to merge these two threads. they do serve a purpose, but there's only need for one of them.

This thread was explicitly intended for asking whether was a bug, not advice.
Unfortunately, it got moved out of the bugs/game design forum and into the Dungeon Advice forum.

IMHO, asking if Animate Dead not working on mutated meat is a bug goes to Game Design. Asking if a kenku can still fly when transformed is asking for advice.

I got them mixed up because I just clicked to ask for advice on whichever thread was in the... ADVICE forum, and both are there. :/

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 1st May 2011, 14:47

I moved the thread. Because I don't think it fits in the game design forum. But since it's a duplicate of the other, I'll just lock it.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice