Crazy idea? SpAs w/ demon trident of electrocution?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 22nd January 2015, 23:50

Crazy idea? SpAs w/ demon trident of electrocution?

So I found this nice little trinket in a vault in Lair. I've got a SpAs of Okawaru and am tempted to experiment with using a spriggan as a straight-up melee character - not stabbing, not using much magic. The -3 aptitude for polearms is a minus, but spriggans also have -3 in conjurations and play conjurers no problem.

The trident would allow melee without being in range of enemies.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 00:03

Re: Crazy idea? SpAs w/ demon trident of electrocution?

You don't even really need to abuse reach that much, Sp make for good melee characters - high EV and you can run away from things if they punch through it. You'll probably want some magic though, the usual buffs and such.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 00:36

The only thing I can think of that might go wrong is it's REALLY annoying to back up, poke something, back up, poke something etc. etc.

I'd probably pair it up with summons, even though you can only poke past your summons 1/2 the time, it saves large amounts of headaches
Also if you've got some invested in stealth (which you very well might being a SpAs) you can get trident-distractastabs with summons (Which aren't as good as shortblade stabs, but are as good as longblade stabs)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 03:09

The thing that tends to kill my melee Spriggans is a single hit for a surprising amount of damage. As long as you remember how squishy you are (and how hard some melee bruisers can hit!) this isn't crazy at all.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Barkeep

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 05:53

I'd also add that heroism and low skill for min delay on a d. trident more than make up for the poor polearms aptitude. 9 skill levels in polearms, then whenever you need it, one turn and two keystrokes lets you hit stuff at 0.6.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 23rd January 2015, 18:20

Sar wrote:You don't even really need to abuse reach that much, Sp make for good melee characters - high EV and you can run away from things if they punch through it. You'll probably want some magic though, the usual buffs and such.

Yep. This character is capable of tabbing things just fine.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice