DsCK of Xom

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 11:32

DsCK of Xom

Obviously of Xom. )
Any advice?
I tried a few times, but the only visible effect - I plagued morgue with such chars.
English is NOT my native language.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 14:32

Re: DsCK of Xom

Play like you would play a gladiator, switch your chaos weapon for any other of the same type.
If you want to play CK i recommend playing a Troll, because they're the best species for worshipping Xom

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 15:11

Consider wearing stasis to prevent Xom teleporting you around
Potions of curing are more valuable because Xom will confuse you, so if they're in limited supply try to avoid using them unless it's really necessary. Favor other consumables instead, or just outwaiting poison/confusion if it's safe enough
Expect to get plenty of good mutations eventually. Mutations are the real reason for worshiping Xom.
Be more cautious than usual about dropping to low HP, because of the risk Xom will summon things on you at the worst possible time.

Xom's wrath is not very harsh; it's basically just Xom in a bad mood for a while. So you can abandon him if you want.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 15:21

Also always carry a backup weapon... That'll be useful !
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

For this message the author mopl has received thanks:
Berder

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 15:24

Step 1 to not die immediately as a CK: Ditch the chaos weapon at the first opportunity.

Aside from that, when following Xom make sure to have a backup weapon, because Xom will occasionally switch your weapon with an enemy's, and it's hard to get it back without a weapon you can use.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 17:17

I mean, should I use chaos weapon to amuse Xom, so that he was not bored?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 18:05

Using a chaos weapon for that doesn't actually work.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 18:30

duvessa wrote:Using a chaos weapon for that doesn't actually work.

If you berserk/polymorph/haste/make a monster invisible by unknown/random effects (wand of random effects), it will amuse Xom (i.e: prevent him from becoming in a number of turns), this also happens when you use chaos branded attacks.

For this message the author rockygargoyle has received thanks:
GlassGo

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 19:05

I meant that it doesn't actually help you very much at all. There are much better ways to scum xom interest, such as falling down stairs.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 19:06

Apparently, if Xom is bored he'll only do one bad thing, and then he's no longer bored. So don't worry about it too much, and don't do too many things that have a chance of killing you to try to amuse him. Drinking a potion of mutation or poison can also amuse him.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

For this message the author Berder has received thanks: 2
GlassGo, rockygargoyle

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 19:49

Berder wrote:Drinking a potion of mutation or poison can also amuse him.

Oh! :D That's what I love to do!

Can someone tell me how much outdated info on wiki about Xom?
I mean I read somewhere once that he can be amused if you try unidentified things like !? and wand in pervious version.

And what about stairs? ))

Also, can Xom grant me another chaos-branded weapon, or I shouldn't use it at all?
And - how stong he can be amused by using wand of random effect?
Or it happend only when effect good for enemy?

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 20:49

I think using wands of polymorph on a safe floor is a good way to keep him amused. Polymorph self, wait it out. Continue.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 21:13

Unless you have some spell that you can use to amuse Xom (shock is an easy one, just hit yourself with a bounce) you should ignore that you can influence Xom's mood, imo.

For this message the author crate has received thanks: 2
duvessa, rockygargoyle

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 02:13

Shield of reflection is great for keeping Xom amused. Also, using lamp of shadows does for some reason. You can actually use the lantern to scum for Xom gifts indefinitely, if that hasn't been fixed.
Comborobin Admin

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 03:51

You can't actually influence Xom's mood beyond preventing boredom. Non-bored Xom doesn't care how much wackiness happens, he only obeys the dice.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 03:52

Berder wrote:You can't actually influence Xom's mood beyond preventing boredom. Non-bored Xom doesn't care how much wackiness happens, he only obeys the dice.
this is wrong

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 04:03

Some form of blink is vital after a point. Remaining on a chaos cloud for more than 1-2 turns is not wise.

The most important thing to change is your mindset. Just treat every one of his negative actions as standard (and expected) and his positive ones as a bonus [and what a bonus... hello confused aliches/hell lords]. Oh and accept that sometimes he will outright murder you.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 04:34

duvessa wrote:
Berder wrote:You can't actually influence Xom's mood beyond preventing boredom. Non-bored Xom doesn't care how much wackiness happens, he only obeys the dice.
this is wrong

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Xom states that Xom has two separate meters. "Piety" dictates the friendliness of Xom's non-bored actions and is set randomly, regardless of player actions. Amusement can be increased by doing wacky things, but has no effect on gameplay until it reaches 0 and Xom gets bored.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 05:41

Berder wrote:
duvessa wrote:
this is wrong

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Xom states that Xom has two separate meters. "Piety" dictates the friendliness of Xom's non-bored actions and is set randomly, regardless of player actions. Amusement can be increased by doing wacky things, but has no effect on gameplay until it reaches 0 and Xom gets bored.
http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Xom has been out of date for years. After it was written, Xom niceness was changed to depend on tension. You still cannot change the piety value but you can change the effective piety value used to determine how good of an act you get.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 05:47

duvessa wrote:http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Xom has been out of date for years. After it was written, Xom niceness was changed to depend on tension. You still cannot change the piety value but you can change the effective piety value used to determine how good of an act you get.

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Xom states "Xom's niceness depends on your Piety: the chance to perform a "good" action is approximately equal to Piety/2 %. (this probability is increased during dangerous situations, like combat, up to 95%)." Is that what you're referring to when you mention tension affecting niceness? If you are talking about deliberately increasing tension in hopes of a good Xom action, that's more likely to backfire on you than it is to get Xom to help you. And it's not long term, lasting only while the tension is high.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 06:28

Berder wrote:
duvessa wrote:http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Xom has been out of date for years. After it was written, Xom niceness was changed to depend on tension. You still cannot change the piety value but you can change the effective piety value used to determine how good of an act you get.

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Xom states "Xom's niceness depends on your Piety: the chance to perform a "good" action is approximately equal to Piety/2 %. (this probability is increased during dangerous situations, like combat, up to 95%)."
oh of course they'd find a way to say it without actually referring to tension. christ, wiki

(i still wouldn't trust that page since it still mentions a bunch of items that were removed ages ago, etc)

rockygargoyle

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 21:54

Wiki:
High (128): Drinking potions of strong poison or paralysis, wearing cursed jewelry or armor

Is Xom interest at once, after I put a cursed ring, and I can uncurse it, or Xom interested I wear it all the time?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 22:10

IIRC it's only if you put the item on without knowing it's cursed.

GlassGo

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 22:22

Can Xom fool me, that there is portal on floor, while there isn't? :lol:
I get "You hear slow rusting of a drain nearby", but nothing. )

Also he likes if I drink !poison. Is it too only if I didn't know it is a !poison?

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 23:49

GlassGo wrote:Can Xom fool me, that there is portal on floor, while there isn't? :lol:
I get "You hear slow rusting of a drain nearby", but nothing. )

Also he likes if I drink !poison. Is it too only if I didn't know it is a !poison?

Yes, especially if you do that on a high tension situation.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 2nd January 2015, 00:11

It's probably been said before but the best way to do ^xom characters is to play like you aren't worshipping xom unless xom is doing things since amused xom isnt too much better than normal xom and eg. leaving potions unided for amusement when you drink them in battle/actually using chaos weapons is probably more dangerous than he is
just man up and prepare to get a few banishments/bad muts

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, Sar

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 2nd January 2015, 00:13

notcluie wrote:It's probably been said before but the best way to do ^xom characters is to play like you aren't worshipping xom unless xom is doing things since amused xom isnt too much better than normal xom and eg. leaving potions unided for amusement when you drink them in battle/actually using chaos weapons is probably more dangerous than he is
just man up and prepare to get a few banishments/bad muts

That's what I said in the first post, you should just play like a gladiator and ignore Xom.

For this message the author rockygargoyle has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 2nd January 2015, 09:12

notcluie wrote:since amused xom isnt too much better than normal xom

*isn't any better
(unless normal xom becomes bored xom)
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 6th January 2015, 06:00

Well, I just want to ask - does bad mutation that Xom grant when bored or under penance pierce rMut or Necromutation?
By any chance. :roll:

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice