Vehumet and AE

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 21st April 2011, 18:54

Vehumet and AE

Is Vehy gonna give me tornado? I have the book of annihilations, and while I'm pleased to get abjuration from the summoning track, I'm a little worried that Tornado is a no show.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st April 2011, 19:05

Re: Vehumet and AE

Nope, it's not in any of the books he gifts. It's in the relatively common book of the Tempests, and the book of the Sky, though.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
mrbobbyg

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 21st April 2011, 21:13

It would be kind of nice if vehumet gifted tornado and shatter, though. Right now he is a bit more appealing to fire/ice casters, although still good for earth/air.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 21st April 2011, 21:36

The most important divine gifts are the ones that can be used early, to get past the early game and carry you through the mid-game. Once you're clearing out Zot, you should be able to kludge something workable together even if you have to train something from scratch. Getting that 9th-level super-spell isn't anywhere near as important as filling in your 4 to 6th-level slots before they become absolutely critical.

Same goes for the other gifting deities, like Okawaru or Yredemnul. Getting something mediocre in the early game when you have nothing is better than getting something good when you're already armed to the teeth.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 22nd April 2011, 13:08

Tornado and Shatter would be out of character for Vehumet, as his specialty is conjurations and summoning. Or, to put it another way, cannons and cannon fodder. Even if he supports the use of some damaging non-conjurations, that doesn't mean he's particularly interested in handing them out.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 22nd April 2011, 18:24

I wonder if making the gift-giving gods more useful in the endgame is all that bad a thing. Is it part of the actual DCSS philosophy that the gift-givers aren't considered that useful in the end game? Is it intended that god-switching be something to master if one wants to be successful in the end game?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 22nd April 2011, 23:27

They have other perks that make them worthwhile in the endgame. Vehumet gives MP for Kills, which is one of the best passive abilities in the game. Also wizardry, a range boost, and an mp cost discount which are all of great value to most conjurations-focused builds. Likewise, Sif Muna and Kiku both have highly useful abilities.

It's just the gifts themselves that are largely useless, and I doubt this could be fixed permanently even if you could enter in a prompt exactly what you wanted, like a Nethack wish.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice