Tips to play quicker

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:05

Tips to play quicker

So, lately I have realized that I am an extremely slow player (and not particularly good either but that is another topic entirely) and I am looking for tips to speed my game up a bit. One gets more tired when splatting on Vaults 5 takes you as long as it would take other players to do two ascensions.

I can think of some things to speed up my game (don't obsessing over equipment, using macro amongst other things) but I would also like to hear what more experienced players have to say. Spoilers are not really a huge concern (meaning, a playthrough where you are discovering new things is always going to take longer)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:09

Re: Tips to play quicker

Reduce travel and autoexplore delay to -1, if you haven't already.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:38

I'm slow compared to comparably skilled players, but I started very slow and have now moved to slightly faster than average. I think the main way to get faster is to get more experience. Most of the time you slow down will be when you're trying to think through situations where you're not sure to do. Playing more will show you more situations, and (hopefully) also reduce the frequency with which you get into bad situations in the first place.

Other things that might help, depending on whether or not you're using the tools the interface offers:
* if you don't use o and tab, start using them. These make a big difference
* don't bother making discrete stashes and embrace the ctrl-f
* use autotravel functionality like X>, G and, again, ctrl-f

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:39

Playing offline helps dramatically with the speed the game runs. As for actually playing quicker, learning your hotkeys helps a ton. I never use the mouse anymore. Also, certain characters just progress quicker, imagine a times run between a MiBe and a FeAs, the assassin will require more careful (slow) play,
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 17:54

Depending on your character, you can save a lot of time by diving. Berserkers especially can skip many early dungeon levels and be fine. The XP you'll lose will not amount to much.
The main weakness you'll have is sub-par equipment and consumables, but if you feel too weak for your depth you can always go back to an earlier floor and clear that.
Comborobin Admin

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 18:04

Are you looking for speed real time wise or moves wise? If you're looking to reduce the amount of moves you make then not fully exploring everything is the way to go. This is more doable on certain characters such as a deep dwarf who really won't be able to stop in order to heal and therefore won't constantly waste moves doing so.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 18:13

If you find yourself spending a lot of time on management of some sort (inventory management, floor management, hotkey management, aiming management, etc.), see if there are rcfile settings that can help automate those processes. I'm pretty sure having a good rcfile alone cut an hour off my average play time.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 19:41

Thanks to everyone for advice.

EugeneJudo wrote:Are you looking for speed real time wise or moves wise? If you're looking to reduce the amount of moves you make then not fully exploring everything is the way to go. This is more doable on certain characters such as a deep dwarf who really won't be able to stop in order to heal and therefore won't constantly waste moves doing so.

Real time wise. DCSS is a big time sink and I honestly spend way too much time on it. But unlike with most videogames there is actually the possibility of doing the same thing, but faster, leaving time for other things (or more DCSS who am I kidding) which is what I am trying to do here

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 20:42

Right there with you. If i get a guy to the point where he's ready for an Orb run then im always looking at 15 hours or so.

Speaking personally I spend a lot of time ctrl-f'ing and running back and forth from branches to stash.

With the change that monsters will never pick up an item that youve seen then stashing behaviour can be altered and has potential to save quite some time. The only place you shouldnt leave items just lying where they are is floors that can spawn a slime (deep lair/dungeon after 4). I've stopped carrying pretty much everything lately, whereas before I as a hoarder and likely spent some third of my playtime in various micromanagement tasks.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 17:20

Siegurt wrote:Reduce travel and autoexplore delay to -1, if you haven't already.

how?

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 1st January 2015, 18:03

Add the following lines to your rcfile. If you're playing offline it's either a file called init.txt or called .rcfile in the settings folder of your dcss directory. If you're playing online these are already the defaults, so you oughtn't to have to change anything, but that said, you can edit your online rcfile using the "edit rc" link next to the version number of DCSS you want to play on the screen after logging into your preferred online server.

Code:
travel_delay = -1
explore_delay = -1
rest_delay = -1

This will prevent the game from updating when travelling/exploring/resting, meaning instead of seeing every step, the game will just instantly show you the situation at the end of your trip/rest.

For this message the author Thalfon has received thanks: 2
GlassGo, scorpionwarrior

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 2nd January 2015, 05:19

o, tab, axes, and TROG
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice