Scroll of Acquirement - Benchmark

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 06:12

Scroll of Acquirement - Benchmark

I'm still running Rockwing the Warrior GrGl (gargoyle gladiator) of Okawaru

I've just finished Lair and Orc Mines, and I poked my head in Depth 1 for a bit (which was actually quite easy..)

Anyway, I have 2 scrolls of acquirement, 2 enchant armors, and 1 enchant weapon, and I'm pondering how to proceed.

My current gear is:

+5 Demon Blade of Flaming

+6 ring mail of Doldrums {str +2} (worn) / +4 plate armour of fire resistance
+5 Shield of Tryqycru {rN+ MR++}
+2 helmet
+2 cloak of poison
+2 gloves of archery
+2 boots of running

If the Shield is +5, do I still need to raise my Shields to 15 to remove its encumbrance penalties? My shield skill is currently at 10.

Fighting: 16
Armour: 11
Dodge: 14 (manual of dodging)
Shield: 10

To spend or not to spend, armor or weapon.. This is the farthest I have come since starting the game. Any advice would be greatly appreciated^^

Thanks. cloud4ge-
Last edited by cloud4ge on Monday, 29th December 2014, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 06:19

Re: Scroll of Acquirement

As soon as I can get my armour high enough to lose the EV penalty on my plate I'd like to switch up to it.
I also have a storm dragon hide, but it's stats are practically identical to plate mail, so I see no reason to make armour from it, unless it has some kind of resistance I'm unaware of..

I also have
+6 EV ring
+4 dex ring
rings of fire resist
rings of ice resist
ring of magic resist

In case this may have some bearing on the decision..

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 06:46

Re: Scroll of Acquirement - Benchmark

There's always some EV penalty from body armour, you can never eliminate it completely, you can just reduce it in smaller and smaller increments, try it on now, look at your AC and EV and decide if you like them, if so switch to it (You probably should, generally plate is very very good)

If you want a measurement, I personally value EV as about 2/3 of a point of AC. (I've heard others value it at anywhere between half and 3/4, so take that for what it's worth)

The +5 enchantment on a shield has no bearing on the Encumberance, it just makes it give you more SH value (by 5 points) yes you still need 15 points of shields skill to completely eliminate the penalties. FWIW SH is roughly as valuable as 1 point of EV for a smaller set of attacks (If I'm comparing all three, I use half of my SH value to 2/3 of EV to AC) SH doesn't protect against bolts (That is to say any attack which penetrates multiple enemies) whereas EV does. Also SH is reduced against targets after the first, hence why I call it "half" rather than EV's 2/3.

Spend the EW, a demon blade is the best one-handed weapon that exists for long blades, so there's no point in not spending it.

You can't enchant any of your armour (Unless the platemail you were talking about can be upgraded) I'd probaby use both acquirement scrolls, probably the first on a wand (if it's not healing probably the second as well) unless you already have a healing wand. If you don't need a healing wand or get one on the first try, I'd use the second on armour, you might get something worth using and upgrading,
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
cloud4ge, Sar

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 09:33

balways bacquire barmor

For this message the author notcluie has received thanks:
cloud4ge

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 12:39

I would not read those for weapons, your demonblade is solid. Armour is generally a fair bet, though personally I almost always ?acquire wands. In your position I would probably not read for armour, you dont have any really poor pieces and chances of a genuine upgrade are slimmer.

If you lack heal wand or haste wand, then acquire wand.
Online Wins: MiFi, GrFi, TrMo, HOGl, SpEn, {DEWz, DDNe}, {OgBe, CeHu}, FoFi, VSFi, MfGl, {HaGl, VpEn, HESk}, KoAs, DsFi, TeMo

For this message the author celem has received thanks:
cloud4ge

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 14:35

I chuckled at "GrGl (gargoyle gladiator)" :)
If you are offended by something I've posted, just PM me. It probably wasn't intentional.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 15:01

Greyr wrote:I chuckled at "GrGl (gargoyle gladiator)" :)

I suppose it is mostly for my benefit, and other newbs^^

For this message the author cloud4ge has received thanks:
Greyr

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th December 2014, 16:56

Acquiring wands is usually a good bet, if you don't already have haste and healing.
Your weapon is good already, and your armor is pretty good too, so chances are low you'd get anything better there.

Typical tavern wisdom on AC and EV is that they're roughly worth the same, with AC having a slight edge. But normally just going for the highest total of AC+EV is the way to go. I'd expect your plate mail is going to be better than the ring mail.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 18:24

While this may have been mostly said, for a quick summary:

I'd use the plate, try to enchant it if you can, a +10 rF plate is excellent end game armor. It will always lower your EV, but wear the +6 EV ring and train armor at some point (it isn't critical you do it asap) and you'll be fine. The second ring should be some resist, probably rC since your shield already has MR++. If you change shields, make sure you keep some magic resistance somewhere.

Acquiring wands when you don't have haste/heal wounds/teleport is always a good option. With a medium shield on a medium race, always train shields to 15.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 19:18

Teleport wands usually aren't necessary. I typically have 10+ teleport scrolls by the end of the game. I certainly wouldn't acquire wands if I already had haste and heal.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 19:32

damiac wrote:Teleport wands usually aren't necessary. I typically have 10+ teleport scrolls by the end of the game. I certainly wouldn't acquire wands if I already had haste and heal.

Teleport wands can be used on others. Scrolls cannot.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 20:02

Plus you can use teleport yourself out while silenced or engulfed.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 20:08

Sure, I'm not saying they're useless, just that I wouldn't priorities them nearly as high as heal and haste wands. Plus I always seem to find a few tele wands over the course of a 3 rune game anyway.
When targeting a foe, do tele wands have a fail chance? I admit, I've never used them on enemies.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th December 2014, 20:10

damiac wrote:When targeting a foe, do tele wands have a fail chance?
yes

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
damiac, rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 3rd January 2015, 00:43

I generally value the wand of heal wounds as #1, but it doesn't really matter to rank the three. You can only pick wands, not which type you specifically want. You probably won't have any of them when you find acquirement, and if you don't, trying for one of the three is fairly good odds, and any one of them is a good result. You may prefer hasting, which is a fine opinion, and teleport is probably third, but it's still a very nice addition if you don't have one yet.

Identifying as many common wand types as you can beforehand is always helpful too.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 5th January 2015, 17:40

Well what I meant is that if I already have a haste wand and a tele wand, I'll gladly try to acquire wands again hoping for heal wounds. If I already have heal wounds and teleport, I'd probably choose wands, hoping for hasting. If I already have heal and haste, it's very unlikely that I'd acquire wands.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice