Ru questions

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 24th December 2014, 12:03

Ru questions

Fisrt time trying this god, and I have some questions :

Ru piety caps at 160, so when reaching *****, a worshipped should avoid significant sacrifices (ie hand) : that would be over-sacrifice ! Am I correct ?

Power Leap must be spammed, as the cost is already paid ?

How expensive is Apocalypse, in terms of draining ?
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th December 2014, 12:26

Re: Ru questions

Ru won't offer sacrifices that give piety significantly in excess of 160, you need not worry about that.

Power leap is definitely spammable, and it's fairly strong, so feel free to use it whenever it would help; just keep in mind that it has an exhaustion timer, so it limits your access to other Ru abilities.

Apocalypse drains about 2 skill levels, though in practice it can be less if you kill a lot of high value stuff with it.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
mopl, rockygargoyle

ldf

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 24th December 2014, 16:24

Lasty wrote:Apocalypse drains about 2 skill levels, though in practice it can be less if you kill a lot of high value stuff with it.

But draining happens after you kill things with it. It helps to restore skills from previous skill drain though.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 24th December 2014, 20:58

got a couple questions of my own;
1. What's the chance of an enemy not attacking/hitting itself when i hit max piety?
2. is saccing a hand worth it on a Tm since i'm not using it in forms anyway apart from the ring loss

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th December 2014, 21:07

What are the rules governing piety gain? I worshiped Ru for what I judged to be a reasonable amount of game time, but was never offered to sac anything.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 24th December 2014, 22:53

XuaXua wrote:What are the rules governing piety gain? I worshiped Ru for what I judged to be a reasonable amount of game time, but was never offered to sac anything.

Seems to be kind of like evolution - you get some exp, then after some time Ru offers a sacrifice
I'd only got one d:7 - d:10 but when i entered lair i had 3 by lair:4 for reference

Would probably be better to ask someone who actually bothered to check the code though!

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 25th December 2014, 15:36

never liked this god

/2cents
I love pitsprint and pitsprint culture.
dpeg wrote:The only good player is a dead player.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 25th December 2014, 16:29

I like Ru a lot.

Sacing a hand is pretty big. The damage your main hand does would probably be sufficient on its own, but a lot of people enjoy having that aux attack. You're also losing a ring slot; its a pretty loaded sacrifice, even if it does give a lotta piety.

Accordin to wiki, chance of hesitation is 10%, and redirection 5%, at max piety. Chance of retaliatory status effects is 33%.
114491 | Pan | Entered the realm of Gloorx Vloq.
114491 | Pan | Noticed Gloorx Vloq
114492 | Pan | Killed Gloorx Vloq

true lords of shadow NEVER sleep

For this message the author Lyrick has received thanks:
Lasty

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 25th December 2014, 21:48

Ru is the second best.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th December 2014, 02:11

There's a timer that counts down until you receive your next sacrifice. Both exploration and killing monsters decrements the timer, so effectively just playing crawl will decrement the timer. If you Reject Sacrifices, the next timer will be longer.

The retribution has a 33% chance to -try- to trigger, but if the attack is relatively light or the opponent's HD is high, the odds of any actual effect, particularly a strong effect, decrease.
Last edited by Lasty on Friday, 26th December 2014, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
Lyrick

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 26th December 2014, 09:23

notcluie wrote:2. is saccing a hand worth it on a Tm since i'm not using it in forms anyway apart from the ring loss

A hand is one of the biggest sacrifices. It gives you a bunch of piety...
You lose ability to use shield/2h weapons, aux attack and ring slot, that's expensive. That's why I consider Tm as the best background to give up a hand, because you only suffer from ring slot loss (and aux attack). I sacced a hand on OpTm : the ring loss is even cheaper :D
Online stats

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 06:08

How do amulets of Faith work with Ru? I would assume they either don't do anything, or they remove one stage to reach maximum (adding it back if the amulet is removed).

My instinct is that they don't / shouldn't do anything, and that the amulet should be grayed out, and the existing text when worn/removed should be special-cased for Ru.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 06:32

XuaXua wrote:How do amulets of Faith work with Ru? I would assume they either don't do anything, or they remove one stage to reach maximum (adding it back if the amulet is removed).

My instinct is that they don't / shouldn't do anything, and that the amulet should be grayed out, and the existing text when worn/removed should be special-cased for Ru.

I believe you get offered sacrifices faster.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
Cheibrodos

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 06:35

Faith increases the frequency with which Ru offers sacrifices.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 08:34

And what if you remove it?

Also: if saccing Love, should summoning evocables turn dark grey? Sure you can still use them for the power, but you will summon hostile elementals.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 09:55

If you remove it, it will increase the delay until the next sacrifice is offered.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 12:16

Berder wrote:If you remove it, it will increase the delay until the next sacrifice is offered.

Doesn't it remove some of your piety ?
I thought amulet of faith was terrible with Ru...
Wiki, be careful wrote:Removed an amulet of faith while worshiping Ru will still cost you 1/3 of your piety, however, and thus is strongly advised against.
Online stats

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 13:53

An amulet of faith for Ru increases sacrifice offer speed, and removing it adds an extra delay before the next sacrifice. Removing the amulet with maximum piety has no penalty, and will not give you a Y/N prompt. The same applies for the Forlorn mutation. Only sacrifices will increase your Ru piety, and only abandonment will decrease it.

Sacrificing Love should not and does not mark elemental evokers as useless. All the elemental evokers are still quite useful even when they generate hostile elementals -- though obviously less useful than when they generate friendly elementals.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 15:36

Lasty wrote:An amulet of faith for Ru increases sacrifice offer speed, and removing it adds an extra delay before the next sacrifice. Removing the amulet with maximum piety has no penalty, and will not give you a Y/N prompt. The same applies for the Forlorn mutation. Only sacrifices will increase your Ru piety, and only abandonment will decrease it.

I think the text for removing an amulet of Faith under Ru might need to be special-cased then, as it felt misleading yesterday when I did this.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 17:56

It is special-cased. Could you be more specific about what it says and what you think it should say instead?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st December 2014, 18:46

Lasty wrote:It is special-cased. Could you be more specific about what it says and what you think it should say instead?

I would have to replicate the scenario again. Give me a bit.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice