The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 07:57

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

Does "jack squat" mean "NIL"?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 08:07

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Does "jack squat" mean "NIL"?

Yes.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

For this message the author rchandra has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

avv

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 10:28

Hey I have a piece of code I'd like to add in the init.txt but I play online. I beleave I need to use the online editor but how and where do I put these commands there? Just placing them won't do anything and I can still see misses and no-damage messages.

#summoner attack muting
# great for reducing the message spam a pack of summons can generate.
# There is some overlap, you may want to tweak or comment out most of these
Kyrris:
message_colour = mute:Your.*misses the
message_colour = mute:Your.*doesn't do any damage
message_colour = mute:misses your.*
message_colour = mute:your.* but doesn't
LordSloth:
message_colour = mute:Your.*(bites|misses|hits|stings|corpse|poisons)
message_colour = mute:(stings|misses|hits).*your

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 11:13

Did you try taking out the "Kyrris:" and "LordSloth:" lines, first of all?

It depends. If you are playing Webtiles, edit rc-file.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

avv

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 11:55

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Did you try taking out the "Kyrris:" and "LordSloth:" lines, first of all?

It depends. If you are playing Webtiles, edit rc-file.

Yes. However it seems that in the newest 0.9 version for example those "misses the" texts are like this "Your derp derp barely misses the durrdurr". Could that be it?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 14:06

Somewhere in your config will be a line saying "include = messages.txt", which has some default message colouring settings - you need to make sure that your custom mutes are above that line, for some crazy reason or other (probably this is explained somewhere in the depths of the options documentation but I couldn't find it at a quick glance).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 2
avv, MyOtheHedgeFox

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 21:30

How can someone add their own unrandarts and make them eligible to generate in a game?
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 15th November 2011, 23:45

This is a dumb one. I assume that an item being quivered does not add those bonuses (or penalties) to your character, say a knife with resists being quivered?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2011, 00:02

randoark wrote:This is a dumb one. I assume that an item being quivered does not add those bonuses (or penalties) to your character, say a knife with resists being quivered?

Correct. You can also fire cursed quivered weapons without a problem, and with hand axes, clubs, spears, and other nonstackable objects that you can fire, brands do not apply.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 16th November 2011, 11:41

I seemed to have run into a bug, only I'm not really computer savvy enough to know where the problem is. So my game froze while playing on CAO, and I close putty, log back into hypergreepish, and it basically says "Another game is already in progress for that save. hit any key to return". So I'm basically locked out. But there's no game of that account to watch on the watch games menu o.O So there must not actually be a game running o.O

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 16:36

If I charm a monster using the Enslavement spell, and it dies, do I get experience? I think I should if the intent was to get the monster to get itself killed.

IMHO, there should be three types of charm: temporary, permanent and summons.

Summons and permanent should yield no experience when killed, and temporary should yield full experience when killed.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 17th November 2011, 19:59

Browsing either here or the SomethingAwful thread about Crawl, I saw a post detailing some settings or a setting you could change to make the gameplay a little faster on WebTiles. However I can't seem to find it again. Does anyone have any advice on speeding up the gameplay on WebTiles? I think it was a way to reduce turn delay or something.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 13:46

Speaking of webtiles. The http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/xxxxx.html does not store my morgue files. Is there a setting. or can i at least save it on my computer?

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 14:58

randoark wrote:Browsing either here or the SomethingAwful thread about Crawl, I saw a post detailing some settings or a setting you could change to make the gameplay a little faster on WebTiles. However I can't seem to find it again. Does anyone have any advice on speeding up the gameplay on WebTiles? I think it was a way to reduce turn delay or something.

If I recall correctly, you can change your
# travel_delay = 20
to something like
travel_delay = -5
and you will seem to teleport around. I guess this can be fine tuned as well. Personally only tried the extremes. It's is in the init.txt files in the local game.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 15:49

I got a few questions aimed mostly at correcting my own stupidity.

Inscriptions nicely allow you to place confirmation prompts to prevent accidental stupidity. !w, !q, !f, !r, etc all allow you to stop yourself from using the wrong item at the wrong time. Is there any way to do something similar to abilities or spells? I would love a !s(or !z ?) and !a to prevent accidental casts.

Similarly, is there a way to force confirmation prompts on arbitrary commands? Maybe in init.txt? For instance, I never use autoexplore or the run keys- yet I sometimes hit one by accident and in the time it takes me to react and stop my characters have been off and running for paces. I'd love a way to force a "really autoexplore?".

Finally, I'd like to force "--more--" messages after Hell effects, since they tend to hit while I'm running around, and I don't always stop moving soon enough. Unfortunately, so far as I can tell, using init.txt you can only trigger mores based off of message text and I don't think there's a common phrase to all hell effects (there's a lot of varied flavor text actually- which is usually a good thing). I don't suppose there's a way to to tie the more trigger to say, the calling of the hell effect function? Or would I just have to spend 20 lines of special cases to cover all the hell effects?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 16:07

mageykun wrote:I got a few questions aimed mostly at correcting my own stupidity.

Inscriptions nicely allow you to place confirmation prompts to prevent accidental stupidity. !w, !q, !f, !r, etc all allow you to stop yourself from using the wrong item at the wrong time. Is there any way to do something similar to abilities or spells? I would love a !s(or !z ?) and !a to prevent accidental casts.

Similarly, is there a way to force confirmation prompts on arbitrary commands? Maybe in init.txt? For instance, I never use autoexplore or the run keys- yet I sometimes hit one by accident and in the time it takes me to react and stop my characters have been off and running for paces. I'd love a way to force a "really autoexplore?".

Finally, I'd like to force "--more--" messages after Hell effects, since they tend to hit while I'm running around, and I don't always stop moving soon enough. Unfortunately, so far as I can tell, using init.txt you can only trigger mores based off of message text and I don't think there's a common phrase to all hell effects (there's a lot of varied flavor text actually- which is usually a good thing). I don't suppose there's a way to to tie the more trigger to say, the calling of the hell effect function? Or would I just have to spend 20 lines of special cases to cover all the hell effects?

All of these would be incredibly useful, especially the !z command (for hybrids who switch magical staves and weapons, it would be invaluable). I don't know the answer, though.

(also, if these aren't possible, they should be.)

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 16:28

mageykun wrote:Similarly, is there a way to force confirmation prompts on arbitrary commands? Maybe in init.txt? For instance, I never use autoexplore or the run keys- yet I sometimes hit one by accident and in the time it takes me to react and stop my characters have been off and running for paces. I'd love a way to force a "really autoexplore?".

For this part I might have a ghetto solution. As I wrote in the post above yours, you can change the autoexplore parameters to do it a lot faster, maybe if you set the number very high it'll do it very slowly, and you can interrupt the autoexplore before your char moves more than 2 steps. else perhaps you can unbind the key somewhere?

For this message the author Sharkie has received thanks:
mageykun

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 16:54

yeah: bindkey = [o] CMD_NO_CMD_DEFAULT

also on the --more-- thing: no, there's no generic way to filter all hell effect messages. but some good online players have a comprehensive list on their config files, you can use that. i think i got mine from marvinpa.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

For this message the author absolutego has received thanks:
mageykun

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 18:26

minmay wrote:
igomadness wrote:I read somewhere that Int was much more valuable than the other stats on anyone who casts. Is this correct?

It is thoroughly correct. I cannot think of any situation where I would prefer to raise another stat.

Melee with haste benefit more from other stats when they get haste to excellent, at least in my opinion. 1 or 2 points of int wouldn't help me anymore, but being able to carry more is a great convenience, and was the only way I could get the orb out despite being statroted with only 7 str left and no !restorestat.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 18:29

The gheto solution works, but unfortunately it also wrecks ctrl+g, which I do use to run between branches and stashes.

bindkey = [o] CMD_NO_CMD_DEFAULT

Solves the problem completely, though I still think being able to attach confirmation prompts to arbitrary commands would be nice functionality.
(something like bindkey = [o] CMD_PROMPT_DEFAULT, maybe? :p) Unbinding it seems kind of a drastic solution.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 18th November 2011, 23:31

it's a hard life programming in the ghetto

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 00:26

Do uniques I send to the Abyss appear there if I visit later? How about normal monsters? At first I was thinking 'yes' because of TRJ, but now I'm thinking 'no' because of the partial experience earned when banishing - not that it would be worth it to beat up enemies, banish them, then hunt them later in the infinite abyss...
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 00:57

rchandra wrote:Do uniques I send to the Abyss appear there if I visit later?

Yes, at least part of the time. I've hit Rupert with a distortion weapon, then been banished by Elrocha to be killed by Rupert. I think there were three uniques welcoming me to the Abyss that time.
How about normal monsters?

I don't think so, but maybe I just didn't notice.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 07:50

Uniques definitely can meet you there.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 11:34

Okay so I've been having fun playing random characters.. but right now I just got a sludge elf priest. What on earth do I do with this thing? I've heard people sometimes go priest so they can switch to TSO or Ely, but switching good gods causes wrath in the current version right?

Edit: Luckily I died before having to figure out what to do ;)

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 15:42

There should be no wrath from them -- you do not leave the good side, after all. You will have to regain your piety, though: a big portion of it gets lost.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 19:27

How do I send messages online?

- I just got a message from Josh, who asked why I am using electrocution brand (in Coctys)?
I couldn't figure out how to send messages back. Doh!.

The answer is because I don't have a better one. I do have a plain one that I could fire brand (I am an ice magic DSWz, so freezing is redundant) but I've already burned all my enchant weapon scrolls. I have a huge stack of vorpal scrolls though.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 19:38

Console? As I heard through IRC, you just need to press _ to quickly answer the message.

For this message the author MyOtheHedgeFox has received thanks:
dassem

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 20:09

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Console? As I heard through IRC, you just need to press _ to quickly answer the message.

Ok, I think that read it, but I didn't see a prompt to reply. I was doing other stuff, so I was darting on and offline quickly (to avoid kids pressing random buttons).
Thanks!

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 20:47

there is no prompt, use ":" to write a note. people watching you will see it (for as long as it remains in the message buffer). works offline too (the message will be logged).
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

For this message the author absolutego has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 23:09

Every time I play a spellcaster, I forget just which spells I've seen in which books.

Is there a Ctrl-F command that will show me a list of all the spells I've seen, along with the book the spell is found in?

If not, I'll submit it to the wiki, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 23:36

Well, it's hardly perfect but I just Ctrl-F "book" and press ! to examine every book. If I'm feeling especially compulsive, I'll stick books I'll use in one stack in hive and books I won't right outside of hive, so I can just look at that one clump. Cntrl-F and the spell's name will also bring up any book it's in.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 19th November 2011, 23:39

Well, I'm not sure it's what you're asking, but you can Ctrl+F the spell name and it will show the books that spell is in.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 00:01

Yeah, inspecting book-by-book is better than nothing, but not what I really want.

I want a list of every spell I've seen at once, so I can decide what is the best place to spend those new spell levels, and how to focus training.

If I'm playing Sif, I might have ten god gift books with a random assortment of spells in them. It's very tedious to reopen the books one at a time to see what I have available to learn. And then I'll do it all over again a little while later cause I forgot.

Using the spell name search helps if I already know what I want to learn next--but oftentimes I don't.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 00:30

This probably doesn't help much either, but if you've taken the time to gather all your spellbooks into a pile on a single tile, you can memorize while they're on the floor. All the spells in the pile will be listed in a very, very long list. I usually don't care which book it's coming from.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Mattchew

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 04:18

What are the details of how monsters use weapons and armor? Can they wear boots/gloves/hats, or just body armor, or cloaks + body armor? Will they pick up and benefit from artifact resistances?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 04:21

nicolae wrote:What are the details of how monsters use weapons and armor? Can they wear boots/gloves/hats, or just body armor, or cloaks + body armor? Will they pick up and benefit from artifact resistances?

From my experiences with a HOPr, they can use only body armour, and they do indeed get the resistances (oddly enough, they also get the evokable abilities; my warlord with a +Lev plate mail happily followed me over deep water). Gastronok's hat is a special case.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 05:20

In 0.10 trunk, Draconian monsters can't wear body armour, but instead they wear cloaks.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 15:28

What effect, if any, would an amulet of the gourmand have an a kobold berserker?

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 16:14

As an easy Poison Arrow Gatling Gun, should I use a Whip of Ancient Evil {slash, rElec, rN+, MR, Dex -3, SInv} or my Demon Whip of Expedience {Pain, rEle, Dex+1, MR}? Still going to use my shanks if they're sleeping and my staff when I want to fling poison but for general yuk-yuk's in combat.

Leaning towards my demonic dominating whip.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 17:07

Use what is stronger by itself.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 17:24

KoboldLord wrote:This probably doesn't help much either, but if you've taken the time to gather all your spellbooks into a pile on a single tile, you can memorize while they're on the floor. All the spells in the pile will be listed in a very, very long list. I usually don't care which book it's coming from.

It helps a lot. It would be nice to have from anywhere, and nice to have sorting options, but it's a huge step toward what I meant.

I didn't realize that "M" worked as a memorize command. I was always "r" reading and then picking spells from that menu. Good all around.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 22:30

What do I have to put in init.txt so that new games start with skill focusing toggled on? I'm getting sick of having to press "|" every time I start setting up the skills on a new char.

Also, while we're at it, could someone link me to a guide or examples for how conditional statements are supposed to look, in this context? The options guide isn't sufficient- I can't really tell what the syntax is supposed to be, what variables I'm allowed to check, or what variable names are (besides "you.race()"), or even what all the all comparison operators are (for instance, is DNE "~="? or "!="?). If anyone's got a heavily modified init.txt I could look through that's probably enough for me to figure things out.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 22:45

You could press Tab instead of |. It doesn't quite solve you problem but it feels less tedious.

For this message the author AtT has received thanks:
mageykun

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th November 2011, 22:48

mageykun wrote:What do I have to put in init.txt so that new games start with skill focusing toggled on? I'm getting sick of having to press "|" every time I start setting up the skills on a new char.

This is fixed in trunk.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 01:53

Will a Halberd cut off a Hydra's head?
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 01:58

^ Yes.
You see here a dire elephant corpse.
You start butchering the dire elephant corpse with your claws.
You continue butchering the corpse.
You are engulfed in roaring flames. You stop butchering the corpse.
You die...

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 10:54

Are the morgue files from on line play stored somewhere? And if not, is it possible to store them on my computer?

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 21st November 2011, 11:10

Yes they are. And in order to put them on your computer you'd have to grab the ones you want. Don't ask me for the URL, I figure it can't be that hard to find it.

Disclaimer:finding the morgue file in particular you are looking for may be a major headache if it isn't one of your own.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 22nd November 2011, 05:28

How long does evolution last, and does it have any weight towards mutations you already have?
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice