The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 1st September 2011, 00:00

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

Like with actual ping-pong.

Real men play tennis with orbs of destruction!

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 1st September 2011, 00:21

Could be a fun multiplayer minigame on web tiles...
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 1st September 2011, 15:39

CommanderC wrote:Failure chance of returning weapons is 1/(1 + Throwing).

Thanks much for the code lookup! That makes total sense, as I noticed a much greater improvement going from throwing 1 through 5 ish than anything beyond.

A few other question regarding ranged combat also:

Can anyone confirm that how I'm reading the bot/wiki regarding mulching is correct?

The way I read it, bolts, for example, have a base 1/4 chance of being destroyed.

If they are enchanted, they get a second roll to avoid destruction, the chance being enchantment/(enchantment+1). So a +5 bolt would get a 3/4 chance to avoid mulching. If that fails, it then gets a 5/6 chance.

Steel is destroyed 1/10th the time compared to normal ammo. So does that mean a 1/40th chance to destroy a steel bolt, followed by the same 5/6 chance from enchantment (with a +5 bolt)?

I have a feeling the answer will be to dive into the code, but thought I'd just check to see if anyone knew...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 1st September 2011, 21:41

What happens if I cast Necromutation while wielding a holy weapon?

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 06:20

Is there seriously no way to get to this treasure? All of those wall are "unnaturally hard".
Attachments
Dungeon Crawl Unreachable Treasure.jpg
Dungeon Crawl Unreachable Treasure.jpg (177.97 KiB) Viewed 8795 times

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 06:44

Can you Passwall through unnaturally hard rock walls?
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 07:01

Not sure, but I do have an addition question. Which one would have more of a penalty against spellcasting: a regular leather armor or an elven ring armor?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 11:03

MADDOGmjb wrote:Is there seriously no way to get to this treasure? All of those wall are "unnaturally hard".

When somebody found a way to get to that treasure, the devteam fixed the vault by replacing all the treasure with mimics. So no, there's no way to loot that vault, period.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 11:24

So one of my Berserkers was spanking the Snake Pit with an anti-magic demon whip. Oddly enough, I got the "its magic bleeds out" message on all the normal nagas and naga warriors, even though they don't use spells. Then again, the knowledge bots claim their poison shots are a spell (even though it isn't for player nagas). Then again, I didn't get the "Trog appreciates your killing of a magic user" message after wasting them.

Bug?

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 15:36

I've got boots of running and a hat of pondering on. Is my speed neutral?

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 15:54

Also, does the bonus spell power from ring of ice and staff of ice stack? Is it diminishing returns like wizardry?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 17:03

I'm not sure I get it, but a mottled dragon armor is more magically restrictive than an elven ring mail (both +0)?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 20:11

Hi there, I just starved to death.

I couldn´t believe it, 5 levels without a single grape to bite on (I was a spriggan beserker). What options do I have on those cases?

I searched the mines for a food shop but no luck there...

I was really strong, had a killer quickblade, and then no food simply f***** me. I stopped beserking to save hunger, but I simply found no veggies, only meat and beef jerky, ARGH! I hate being a vegeterian!

Are there no options for spriggans but what the game gives us of food? Tks

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 20:19

The spriggan early game strategy: Dive to Hive to stay alive. And keep that porridge from falling victim to an orc wizard with Throw Frost.

SpBe can be challenging (and is a grayed-out combo) because of that very food issue: what makes Be strong can really get in your way if you don't have a way to handle the hunger. Ideally a SpBe should never berserk until you've found permafood bigger than a choko, and very rarely (if ever) after that, until you get either Hive or some other big stash of food.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks: 2
GNFR, MyOtheHedgeFox

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 20:30

One more follow up question. for a spell like ice storm that has a conj/Ice spell school, is the enhancer multiplier cut in half? I'm trying to avoid going too far over the cap.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 2nd September 2011, 22:02

minmay: Would you make the statement about Spriggan food issues also if Hive were absent?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 16:52

minmay wrote:Rods also have an enormous hunger cost which the game doesn't appear to even mention anywhere.

What? Examine a spell from a rod and it tells you the hunger cost. I coded it myself a year ago.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 3rd September 2011, 22:43

One more small question: Im a level 16 kobold berserker now (no food issues AT ALL, great!) and I got from trog a "+4,+14 dagger with stab", great weapon, killing giants and hydras with 1, 2 stabs, easy! With 34 EV, they dont even touch me.

My question is: should I try to upgrade a +1,+2 quickblade I found (which is nothing compared to my dagger) or some other weapon for the rest of the game or is my dagger enough for quite some time? (Pity I cant upgrade it any further...)

I only trained short swords (lev 15 now) and would have to start long swords from the start (lev 2), but is the higher damage worth it? Or some weapon with a brand that compensates the +4,+14 at some point?

Tks!

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 06:02

Why is there an ability to train this skill beyond 14, then?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 4th September 2011, 22:36

What happens if I use Trog's book-burning ability on a pile of books? Do that make a stronger (and/or longer-lasting) flame cloud, or does only the strongest cloud from all the books count, or what?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 00:27

I keep reading on this forum that a weapon's base damage is more important than its +damage bonus. Why is that?

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 01:23

It looks like base damage always happens, but + damage is randomized between 1 and +.

If I'm deciphering fight.cc int melee_attack::player_apply_weapon_bonuses(int damage) correctly.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 03:48

I see what you mean, minmay. I just had to dig a bit deeper.

Base > Stat > Slay > Weapon Skill > Fighting Skill > Modifiers > Bonus.

Bonus doesn't get added on until the end.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 05:58

How does a fighter get into "NAME: lemuel_angel_altar_tso"? Wand of Digging?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 06:07

XuaXua wrote:How does a fighter get into "NAME: lemuel_angel_altar_tso"? Wand of Digging?

You don't. That angel will totally kill you if you try.

That altar is not marked with the overflow altar tag, so it doesn't count as your guaranteed TSO altar. Keep looking, and you'll find one that isn't guarded by a monster that walks faster than you can run and will kill you in one hit.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th September 2011, 07:31

Too late. Found a wand of digging at the bottom of the immediate next stairs, went back up and opened one end, then opened the other, shouted and watched him move. Took three hits; assumed becoming a worshiper of TSO would stop him from attacking me. :)

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 17:02

How many characters did people go through before making significant progress? So far I've had 20 and I've made it beyond XL4 three times. My best character was a VpAs who made XL7 before getting killed by Prince Ribbit on D:6 (no chance to run).

I assume in general that I'm not being cautious enough, but what tends to happen is I end up running out of places to run to and succumb to some combination of orc priests, orc wizards, Grinder, jackals and occasionally my former characters' ghosts, somewhere on D:3 or D:4. Those magic orcs are absolute sods.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 17:20

I think I was about the same as you. I keep hitting plateaus. First was D:1/D:2, then Temple, then Lair Entrance, then Lair/Orc Clear, etc.

I'm at the point now where I reliably clear Lair/Orc/Hive and the first few levels of Snake/Swamp/Shoals/Vault. This is assuming of course that I'm not trying to worship Vehemut or Sif... I think in all the times I've played these two I've gotten a grand total of 1 book and iirc it was some crappy book from Sif.

I think unseen horrors kill me more than anything else though.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 21:05

Just found a scroll of Vorpalise Weapon as a Troll Berserker and I wonder what weapon to use it on best. Thanks in advance.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 6th September 2011, 21:21

Moanerette wrote:How many characters did people go through before making significant progress? So far I've had 20 and I've made it beyond XL4 three times. My best character was a VpAs who made XL7 before getting killed by Prince Ribbit on D:6 (no chance to run).

I assume in general that I'm not being cautious enough, but what tends to happen is I end up running out of places to run to and succumb to some combination of orc priests, orc wizards, Grinder, jackals and occasionally my former characters' ghosts, somewhere on D:3 or D:4. Those magic orcs are absolute sods.

I consider myself to be an "awful" player (see the name), but I manage to have fun. When I started I probably sent 100+ MfCr's to the grave before I started seeing the temple regularly. I HIGHLY reccomend starting with a character with some ranged skill and/or picking up all of the floor trash and throwing it. I.e. never move to close with a monster, throw something at them and let them come to you. That is not perfect advice, but I found that once I started doing that my characters ended up living much longer.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2011, 08:18

is there a way to strip off wizard mode? i backed up the save folder to debug something in wiz mode and when i restored it i saw that the actual save was elsewhere, because the game is ignoring the config file settings for whatever reason.

and this is what i miss of playing online. not dealing with crap.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 7th September 2011, 08:34

absolutego wrote:is there a way to strip off wizard mode?

No there isn't.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 9th September 2011, 04:39

Apologies for bumping my question:
Does the attack delay for launchers work just like for melee weapons? If so, is it worth advancing a launcher skill above the skill that achieves the minimum delay?
Thanks!

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 9th September 2011, 08:02

smock wrote:Apologies for bumping my question:
Does the attack delay for launchers work just like for melee weapons? If so, is it worth advancing a launcher skill above the skill that achieves the minimum delay?
Thanks!

yes.
if you only use the ranged weapon to attack fleeing enemies it's most likely not worth it though
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 9th September 2011, 15:59

Will Logonu corrupt a ranged launcher?

Xom is telling me this would make for hilarity if so.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 9th September 2011, 22:03

Thanks all for the help. It's amazing that nobody understands ranged weapons!
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice