The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 09:31

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

Given some of the scoring stats that appear for the online versions there must be a way to analyse the morgue files into a more useful table of stats. does anyone have some tips as to how to convert the text files into something more useful/tabular. It would be good to have a high score table that summarised the results by character name (total score/top score/games played/wins/total kills/ highest level/most levels explored)

Once a player Ghost is killed is it gone from the dungeon for future characters?
A troll caster is a hybrid

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 09:54

My beloved Transmuter just died on D:13 after entering some kind of Fort and then being ambushed by a Fire Giant, a yaktaur Captain, a tentacled monstrosity, a rock troll and about 6 slime creatures.
Was that some kind of Vault? These enemies seem ridilous hard for D:13 .. at least my char was instantly annihilated after peaking around the corner ..
What is the normal Depth for a Fire Giant and a Yaktaur Captain?

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 11:15

RFHolloway wrote:Once a player Ghost is killed is it gone from the dungeon for future characters?

Yes.

MonorailCat wrote:My beloved Transmuter just died on D:13 after entering some kind of Fort and then being ambushed by a Fire Giant, a yaktaur Captain, a tentacled monstrosity, a rock troll and about 6 slime creatures.
Was that some kind of Vault? These enemies seem ridilous hard for D:13 .. at least my char was instantly annihilated after peaking around the corner ..
What is the normal Depth for a Fire Giant and a Yaktaur Captain?

Fire giant native depth is 25, yaktaur captain is 24. You can easily find that out from the source. It's certainly a vault, but I don't know which ones. Monster set seems indeed to be pretty unbalanced for the depth.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 18:20

Why is Maxwell's Silver Hammer never introduced to the starting books of Crusaders, in example? Because of its Incredible Power?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 18:38

Hi everyone!

I run into Dungeon Crawl yesterday and it's my first rougelike game. Therefore I died two dozens deaths already :oops: I have two burning questions, hoping your answers will help my little monk to take it to level four...

1. I ran into some monsters. No prop, I had a teleportion-scroll at hand. "Haha", my monk said. "You cannot teleport now", the engine said. "We laugh at last", the monsters said. The monk never again said anything. How can I use a scroll to escape combat?

2. In general: I wake up a monster or I get beaten in a fight. i want to retreat. The monsters never give up to follow me, always hunting me down, even if I make it to an other level. How can I make a retreat?

Thanks a lot!

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 18:43

1) Did your monk have some amulet on his neck which, perchance, looked like an amulet of stasis? These amulets block any voluntary and enforced teleportation, except banishment to the Abyss.
2) Find a scroll of fear, run faster, make a monster slower, hit some monsters hard enough to make them fear for their lives, enslave them and make them your weapons, lead them into a trap.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 18:47

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:1) Did your monk have some amulet on his neck which, perchance, looked like an amulet of stasis? These amulets block any voluntary and enforced teleportation, except banishment to the Abyss.
2) Find a scroll of fear, run faster, make a monster slower, hit some monsters hard enough to make them fear for their lives, enslave them and make them your weapons, lead them into a trap.

in short: think more, before you move... I feared it would be somthing like that... :D thanks, I'll try. ;)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 18:48

Cfant wrote:Hi everyone!

I run into Dungeon Crawl yesterday and it's my first rougelike game. Therefore I died two dozens deaths already :oops: I have two burning questions, hoping your answers will help my little monk to take it to level four...

1. I ran into some monsters. No prop, I had a teleportion-scroll at hand. "Haha", my monk said. "You cannot teleport now", the engine said. "We laugh at last", the monsters said. The monk never again said anything. How can I use a scroll to escape combat?

2. In general: I wake up a monster or I get beaten in a fight. i want to retreat. The monsters never give up to follow me, always hunting me down, even if I make it to an other level. How can I make a retreat?

Thanks a lot!

Teleport is not instantaneous; it takes 3 turns to take effect.

Next time use a scroll of blinking, but make sure you have an escape route in line of sight.
edit: beat'n

The monsters have a chance of losing track of you, but you really have to shake 'em by going around corners, etc. Also a scroll of fear will work.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 19:46

I'm trying to play a caster, but their low hp from not training fighting high is quite troublesome. So I figured I'd try a deep elf crusader. Is that a doomed combination? The idea would be to melee through the early game so that when I start doing nukes more regularly I'll have trained fighting up, maybe to 10, so I'd feel more comfortable in terms of hp. Would sif muna be ok, or would I need okawaru to get by? Should I stick with the sword I start with, or would a quarterstaff be better when I find one? So far I've been ok for the first couple levels, freezing arua is very herlpful, but after I get to more orcs and gnolls it gets tougher.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 19:46

XuaXua wrote:
Cfant wrote:Hi everyone!

Thanks a lot!

Teleport is not instantaneous; it takes 3 turns to take effect.

Next time use a scroll of blinking, but make sure you have an escape route in line of sight.
edit: beat'n

The monsters have a chance of losing track of you, but you really have to shake 'em by going around corners, etc. Also a scroll of fear will work.

thanks. I tried running around the courner. sadly, there was a lizzard waiting for me. One less monk breathing air as a living...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 20:05

When I read a scroll of acquirement, does it matter what level I am? Or what level/branch in the dungeon I'm on?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 20:23

Happy Corner wrote:When I read a scroll of acquirement, does it matter what level I am? Or what level/branch in the dungeon I'm on?

No, but your skills matter

http://crawl.develz.org/info/inline.php?q=acquirement

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
Happy Corner

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 21:29

How common are rings of regeneration?

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 22:46

galehar wrote:Fire giant native depth is 25, yaktaur captain is 24. You can easily find that out from the source. It's certainly a vault, but I don't know which ones. Monster set seems indeed to be pretty unbalanced for the depth.

Found another Fire Giant in my new Game .. this time on D:18. It's a lava level.
They must really like me.. but this time i let him sleep and ran to next stairs ;>

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 07:17

On my mutations screen, one of the mutations is "(You are resistant to hostile enchantments)" but it's a fainter grey shade than my other acquired mutations. I'm not sure what this could mean. The mutation is currently not active? I'm a bloodless vampire at this moment... does my thirst toggle this mutation on and off? I can't see why it would.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 07:44

1. scroll of acquirement: on 5 armour calls, boots 4 times. and not good boots. except for the last which was a +0 boots of speed. of course, i've had a +2 boots of speed since about D: 5. am i missing sth, or is the RNG just laughing at me? my other armor is seriously pathetic (at L27, no less)

2. scroll of acquirement: i desperately need Tornado (Air 21, Spells 16 (both highest of magic class by far)). i have almost every other non-rare book, except Sky and Tempest. am I going to get it, or will the scroll dump some rare nonsense like Cigovuti's Book of Stuff He Copied from Other Books You Already Have? or maybe an Okawaru's Picturebook of Substandard Boots?

3. How many Angels/Daevas does it take to safely take down OoFs? i've taken out two with no rF, and don't want to repeat the experience a 3rd time. any good strategies with no silver or high level (7+) spells other than avoidance? do distort or excruciating brands have any effect on them?

4. what's the record for Boris spawns in a single game? i've had to kill him 5 times in this one.

5. will throwing boots at monsters do any damage? to the monsters, i mean. specifically, at Boris.

+1: have rings of slaying had their frequency reduced in 0.8? i never seem to see them any more.

edit: figured out Question 2... a bit of both... looks like it checked my dominant school, but i didn't have any luck. finally got Tempests as the last book I checked in Tomb 3, yay! (and Summonings was 2nd last :) )
Last edited by QTQuazar on Saturday, 25th June 2011, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author QTQuazar has received thanks:
DivineHammer

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 07:54

DivineHammer wrote:On my mutations screen, one of the mutations is "(You are resistant to hostile enchantments)" but it's a fainter grey shade than my other acquired mutations. I'm not sure what this could mean. The mutation is currently not active? I'm a bloodless vampire at this moment... does my thirst toggle this mutation on and off? I can't see why it would.

Non-physical mutations are disabled for thirsty vampires.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 12:07

Do the effects of "ring of ice" and "staff of cold" stack? So can I wear both at the same time to increase the damage of my Ice-spells even further?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 12:18

Yes, enhancers stack up to three levels max. Unless you can mitigate the rF- from the ring of ice I'd probably just use the staff, though.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 12:33

Erm, so why is Maxwell's Silver Hammer found only in Books of Earth? Is it really that powerful?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 12:38

Sometimes, when my Vampires feed on corpses, it says "Somehow this blood was not very filling!" What does that mean?

I'm guessing it means that the blood wasn't as nutritious as usual, because I didn't feed on a sentient monster (although I think I've seen this message on them, too), or I'm already close to "Alive" status... but I'm not sure.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 12:43

Happy Corner wrote:Sometimes, when my Vampires feed on corpses, it says "Somehow this blood was not very filling!" What does that mean?

Contaminated corpses. Half nutrition.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
Happy Corner, MyOtheHedgeFox

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 14:37

Can there be randart rings with Ctl on them?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 14:47

caddybear wrote:Can there be randart rings with Ctl on them?

Teleport Control or cTel? Definitely there can be such!

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 16:06

This seems like it must be a bug. When I go to bottle blood from a corpse while wielding a non-butchering weapon, the game switches to my Vampire's Tooth (unrandart dagger with supervampire brand), which shoots my thirst through the roof. There's no warning that it's going to equip a vampiric weapon. Furthermore, it ignores the non-vampiric shortsword that I'm also carrying.

Is there a way I can change my default butchering weapon to something not insane?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 16:21

Drop all bladed weapons except the one you want to butcher with before you butcher your next corpse. That weapon will be set as the default kitchen knife.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
DivineHammer

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 17:28

caddybear wrote:Can there be randart rings with Ctl on them?

Teleport control is on the ring ego list, not the random artifact ego list, so it can show up only on randart rings that started with a ring of teleport control as the base item. This makes it substantially less common than, say, poison resistance, which is both a ring ego and a random artifact ego so you can have a poison resistance ring with other artifact properties or a non-poison resistance ring with an rPois artifact property.

Teleport control is also one of the four ring egos which have a lower chance of generation than the rest, so randart rings with teleport control are one of the rarest possible randart rings. Savor your luck when you find one that has good properties.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 18:13

i can't get macros to work correctly playing online. i define one as, say, 'zazb', where 'a' and 'b' are two summoning spells. only the first one is cast. i define "Zal.", where 'a' is magic dart, and the first two keystrokes work fine but the rest are not executed, leaving the prompt to select the direction to cast the spell over my character (when no enemies are on-screen). all of this has always worked for me offline. am i doing something wrong? could there be something messed up in my configuration?
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 15:06

I think I've found a bug, or possibly I am just dumb... :oops:
I've got to the bottom of the slime pits and just cannot find the Royal Jelly. :?

I checked my log and it's not been sighted or collateral killed. Also the cTele is still disabled.
There are a couple of Zot traps on the level and a teleport trap very close to the middle. My guess is that it got teleported into one of its own vaults.

It could possibly have been sent to the abyss, but that would have been very unlucky as I don't have any distortion type effects...

I am playing as ultor on akrasiac in trunk, so any help would be appreciated!

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 15:15

What version are you playing? There was a bug in 0.8.0 which made it possible for the RJ to be teleported in one of the vaults. It has been fixed in trunk and 0.8.1. Zot traps don't have the same effects on monsters than the player, and they don't get banished. Hostile monsters don't suffer any bad effects from zot traps.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 15:28

Is the loot in a treasure trove in any way proportional to the fee it requires? (I just found one that wanted a slimy rune of Zot, and I'm having trouble imagining what could possibly be worth it...)

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 16:00

galehar wrote:What version are you playing? There was a bug in 0.8.0 which made it possible for the RJ to be teleported in one of the vaults. It has been fixed in trunk and 0.8.1. Zot traps don't have the same effects on monsters than the player, and they don't get banished. Hostile monsters don't suffer any bad effects from zot traps.

Thanks!
Trunk on akrasiac:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.0-a0-305-g199e348

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 16:12

Happy Corner wrote:Is the loot in a treasure trove in any way proportional to the fee it requires? (I just found one that wanted a slimy rune of Zot, and I'm having trouble imagining what could possibly be worth it...)

The Trove loot is based off of acquirement code, which may or may not produce stuff that you actually want. That armor acquirement can get you +2 boots of running, or it can get you randart -2 Boots of Suck with *Rage, *Tele, and Curse. There are also different Troves that tend towards different categories of loot, and sometimes you get one that your current character doesn't need.

That said, when a Trove asks for a Slimy or Abyssal Rune, or when it asks for the Horn of Geryon, you only have to SHOW the item to get in. You get to keep special items that advance the plot.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Happy Corner

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 18:50

dassem wrote:
galehar wrote:What version are you playing? There was a bug in 0.8.0 which made it possible for the RJ to be teleported in one of the vaults. It has been fixed in trunk and 0.8.1. Zot traps don't have the same effects on monsters than the player, and they don't get banished. Hostile monsters don't suffer any bad effects from zot traps.

Thanks!
Trunk on akrasiac:

So, what about teleport traps? I burned an extra scroll of mapping, but still cannot find the Royal jelly and I just checked all the stairs one level up...
Could I be missing something or does this mean I just have to keep diving into the same trap until I end up in the vault?

Here's the backup in case I am just being stupid:
https://crawl.akrasiac.org/saves/dumps/ ... 56.tar.bz2

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 20:51

dassem wrote:Thanks!
Trunk on akrasiac:

So, what about teleport traps? I burned an extra scroll of mapping, but still cannot find the Royal jelly and I just checked all the stairs one level up...
Could I be missing something or does this mean I just have to keep diving into the same trap until I end up in the vault?

Here's the backup in case I am just being stupid:
https://crawl.akrasiac.org/saves/dumps/ ... 56.tar.bz2[/quote]

i'd suggest to open the game in wizmode, you can copy your backup in afterwards. its not cheating if its science :ugeek:
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 21:36

were you not supposed to be able to chop a corpse with a cursed blunt weapon and ashenzari, now that we have the bootknife thing?

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 22:02

slowcar wrote:
dassem wrote:Here's the backup in case I am just being stupid:
https://crawl.akrasiac.org/saves/dumps/ ... 56.tar.bz2

i'd suggest to open the game in wizmode, you can copy your backup in afterwards. its not cheating if its science :ugeek:

:D
Ok! Do you know how?
This is only my third online game and I'm hoping to make it a 33% winning ratio. :-)
I cannot seem to load from that link (which makes sense in terms of avoiding cheating!) although that could be just a failure to login correctly...

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 23:08

absolutego wrote:were you not supposed to be able to chop a corpse with a cursed blunt weapon and ashenzari, now that we have the bootknife thing?

It has been considered at some point, but in the end decided against. The only special treatment Ashenzarites get is with the scrolls (getting to choose which item to curse/uncurse). Outside of that, you have to deal with the normal limitations of curses.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 04:36

First time playing a Hunter:

1--How does attack delay work for projectiles? It doesn't appear to work the same as melee weapons.
2--Does it make any difference whether a brand is on the launcher or ammo?
3--Should I enchant ammo, or launcher, first?

Current character is a Halfling, so I'm using Slings if it matters.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 04:45

Volteccer_Jack wrote:2--Does it make any difference whether a brand is on the launcher or ammo?

Ammo's brand overrides launcher's brand.

Volteccer_Jack wrote:3--Should I enchant ammo, or launcher, first?

I generally want to enchant ammo, not launcher. Because you can get awesome artifact launchers, but there isn't any artifact ammo.

Volteccer_Jack wrote:Current character is a Halfling, so I'm using Slings if it matters.

Enchant your steel bullets, and train your Slings until your attack speed is "quite fast" (press @ to see it)! :)

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 12:52

iirc ghouls cannot cast stoneskin, but they can be petrified (by basilisks). i assume the same applies to other undead.
is this intended behaviour?

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 19:29

Does sickness prevent a potion of cure wounds from functioning?

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 20:07

Small questions:

1) i can buy a ring of teleport, it says i can use it when i want it as well to teleport at will? Is this correct?

2) i have a staff of fire, does it extra damage when i am a wizard with fire skill?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 20:18

speciesxx wrote:Small questions:

1) i can buy a ring of teleport, it says i can use it when i want it as well to teleport at will? Is this correct?

If you have it equipped, you'll have a command on the a-menu to evoke teleportation. Your chance of success depends on your evocations skill. Keep in mind that you ALSO get randomly teleported against your will when you have that kind of ring equipped, so it isn't worth it for most parts of the game unless you have teleport control too.

speciesxx wrote:2) i have a staff of fire, does it extra damage when i am a wizard with fire skill?

Wielding a staff of fire gives you one pip of fire resistance and serves as a spell power enhancer for fire. This will increase the damage of most fire spells, but a few spells don't use spell power for damage so they won't be affected. Conjure Flame, for instance, will last longer if cast with a staff of fire, but it still deals the same damage as always.

Unlike rings of fire, which also give you a spell power enhancer for fire, wielding a staff of fire does not lower your level of cold resistance.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 20:43

1. I received this message for no apparent reason: "You can no longer speed up your combat." What does that mean (other than the obvious)? Was there a way to speed up combat that I wasn't aware of? Is it a character-specific message (like an aura wearing off or something)? Did I do something wrong?
2. "Reference Book on Bewitchment" - I found this in a bookstore and can't find any information on it. Is it a manual to increase Charms or Enchanting?
3. MfCr: Should I worry at all about ranged combat aside from lobbing random darts and rocks at things?
4. Is it possible to cook meat or make raw meat last longer? I saw someone mention using Freezing Aura; does that effectively refrigerate food?
Thanks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 20:54

Qwazzerman wrote:1. I received this message for no apparent reason: "You can no longer speed up your combat." What does that mean (other than the obvious)? Was there a way to speed up combat that I wasn't aware of? Is it a character-specific message (like an aura wearing off or something)? Did I do something wrong?

You following Okawaru? Okawaru grants Finesse at high levels of piety, which lets you attack twice as fast as normal. If you lose piety, you lose access to this ability. Okawaru's piety slowly goes down over time, so if you pushed just barely over the margin to get it after killing a bunch of monsters, it can go back down below the margin before you can find another group of monsters. Just kill more things, and it'll come back.

Qwazzerman wrote:2. "Reference Book on Bewitchment" - I found this in a bookstore and can't find any information on it. Is it a manual to increase Charms or Enchanting?

It's a random artifact spellbook. It will have random spells in it, but the name is chosen to hint at the contents. In this case, probably mostly hexes. Hit the ! button to examine the contents of a shop rather than buying items, and you'll be able to see the spells in all the books without needing to reference the wiki.

Qwazzerman wrote:3. MfCr: Should I worry at all about ranged combat aside from lobbing random darts and rocks at things?

Yes, you'll eventually find something you really don't want to get close to, and you'll need some way of dealing with it. Throwing is fine. Slings are fine. Bows and crossbows may be fine, but they don't work well with shields. Dabbling in conjurations (preferably ice in this case, due to merfolk aptitudes) or necromancy, also fine. Picking up a deity with a ranged attack such as Makhleb or Nemelex, also fine. But you definitely do need something eventually.

Qwazzerman wrote:4. Is it possible to cook meat or make raw meat last longer? I saw someone mention using Freezing Aura; does that effectively refrigerate food?
Thanks.

No, that person was making a joke. There is no way to make chunks last longer, and there probably never will be. The devteam has actually specifically picked out cooking as one of a short list of features that will never be implemented.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Qwazzerman

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 20:58

Vampiric Weapons

Bot says:
  Code:
        You must be full to wield a vampiric weapon, and doing so will reduce you from full to hungry. On 4 of 5 hits against a drainable target, heals you an amount between 1 and the damage dealt. See also vampire's tooth. Counts as necromancy to gods.
        Before 0.6, wielding it increased your hunger rate by 6 (1 if a vampire), leaving you at 3x the typical base hunger rate, but there was no hunger cost to wield the weapon.

So... in trunk, there is a hunger hit on wield, but is no increased hunger while wielding?

Does attacking with a vampiric weapon only heal health, or does it also satiate hunger?
If not, would it be nifty if, while attacking with a vampiric weapon at full health, you lost hunger instead, or is that too much?

I ask this from the viewpoint of a DDNE who quaff id'd his only potion of cure mutation, then got hit 3x by a wand of polymorph and now has -2 Str and a fast metabolism and has searched 15 levels since with no cure mutation potion to be found and am on negligible permafood and just found an axe of vampirism.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th June 2011, 21:01

KoboldLord wrote:The devteam has actually specifically picked out cooking as one of a short list of features that will never be implemented.

Which really makes the whole "raw / uncooked" comment when eating chunks sort of stand out as a dig against the player. Don't call it uncooked if you can't cook it.
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice