The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 12th March 2012, 22:01

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

You're reading it right, but you're not reading the right version. This bug was fixed a month ago (974dca72). The part in mon-act.cc seems to be OK.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 12th March 2012, 22:56

Other than the methods listed on the Wiki, are there any other ways of dealing with Torment?
"It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky."
- sirlaser the Eclecticist (Human Wanderer), worshipper of Ashenzari

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 12th March 2012, 23:16

sir_laser wrote:Other than the methods listed on the Wiki, are there any other ways of dealing with Torment?

Wiki doesn't list the best method: Kill the source. Foo fiends, tormentors, and top-end mummies don't have all that many hit points, and you can just overwhelm them. Doesn't matter if you're at 50% or 25% hp at the end of the fight if your enemies are all dead, and usually a vigorous attack will knock them down before they even get the first Torment off.

Second important method is to avoid fighting multiple Torment sources at once. If you face two foo fiends at once, retreat and let them wander apart so you can pick them off individually.

Third, try to use terrain effectively. For example, try to approach around corners so they get fewer turns to possibly Torment before they die, and have a ranged option so you don't have to waste precious turns walking toward them.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th March 2012, 21:16

Felid of Jiyva (found the altar before I found Nemelex, so I'm giving it a go!) in near-trunk build (0.11-a0-426)

1 - Put under penance by Jiyva (no idea why).
2 - Encounter green slime creatures (hostile).
3 - Come out of penance from Jiyva (full stars).
4 - Green slime creatures are still hostile.

Questions
1) If I kill them, will I be placed under penance again?
2) Shouldn't they be neutral?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 14th March 2012, 04:15

On ork:4 I came across a dark portal but I don't know where that goes can somebody tell me what's on the other side?

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 14th March 2012, 07:53

Southpaw wrote:On ork:4 I came across a dark portal but I don't know where that goes can somebody tell me what's on the other side?

have you tried using x then v to look at it?

Q: Does constriction happen more often with faster attack delay/action times? (for example, use a quick or speed blade to get constriction, or swap jewellery while constricting an enemy)?
edit: this seems to work, and perhaps be abusive.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 14th March 2012, 10:28

Southpaw wrote:On ork:4 I came across a dark portal but I don't know where that goes can somebody tell me what's on the other side?

A Volcano?

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 14th March 2012, 10:53

rchandra wrote:Q: Does constriction happen more often with faster attack delay/action times? (for example, use a quick or speed blade to get constriction, or swap jewellery while constricting an enemy)?

I don't know if it lets you constrict more often. Constriction is an aux attack, so if faster attacks get you more auxes, you will also get more chances to apply constriction. If they don't you wont.

Faster actions while constricting won't do more damage, the damage is scaled down accordingly.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
rchandra

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 15th March 2012, 16:42

I know accuracy bonus only count towards physical attacks, but accuracy penalties apply to everything, including spells. But is calculated off your total, or each source individually?

Specifically, I have two artefacts- one with Acc+8, another with Acc-4. So if I wear both, does my spell accuracy get a +4 (treated as +0) or -4?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th March 2012, 16:58

mageykun wrote:I know accuracy bonus only count towards physical attacks, but accuracy penalties apply to everything, including spells. But is calculated off your total, or each source individually?

Specifically, I have two artefacts- one with Acc+8, another with Acc-4. So if I wear both, does my spell accuracy get a +4 (treated as +0) or -4?

That is some seriously inconsistent crap right there.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th March 2012, 17:07

I think the only -Acc bonus that affects spells comes from the amulet of inaccuracy (or randart with the Inacc property), not from rings or randarts with slaying boni/mali. It's a difference AFAIK. So neither the Acc +8 nor the Acc -4 will have any effect on your spells.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
mageykun

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 15th March 2012, 17:28

Do portals out of Pandemonium spawn far away from the portal from which you entered that level? Is there any sort of message or clue that tells you that there's an exit on the current Pan level?

If the answers to the above questions are both "no" as I suspect is the case, what strategies to do you employ to get out of Pand the fastest? I usually leave the current level as quick as I can so I don't risk getting killed by a Pan lord.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 15th March 2012, 17:33

Exit portals out of pan are relatively likely to spawn in lord-guarded vaults, so if you can evade/take them out it's pretty quick to find an exit (in my limited .10+ pan experience)

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th March 2012, 21:57

I recall some discussion on Scythes being relatively poor weapons, but can't find it. Is there a reason for this (if it is correct?) and should I consider building up a replacement for the +6/+4 freezing scythe my scroll of acquirement just gave me or should I devote my enchant scrolls to making that weapon better?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 15th March 2012, 22:05

Southpaw wrote:I recall some discussion on Scythes being relatively poor weapons, but can't find it. Is there a reason for this (if it is correct?) and should I consider building up a replacement for the +6/+4 freezing scythe my scroll of acquirement just gave me or should I devote my enchant scrolls to making that weapon better?

They are very slow and don't do enough damage to be worth it. They are pretty much just a style weapon for Sigmund.
Edit, the accuracy also isn't great.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 15th March 2012, 23:56

minmay wrote:
mageykun wrote:I know accuracy bonus only count towards physical attacks, but accuracy penalties apply to everything, including spells.

Could you tell me which wiki page told you this so I can correct it?

I didn't read it on the wiki. I think I must have just generalized what I already knew about the amulet of inaccuracy to the Acc minus property.

Hmm. The description for the amulet of innacury specifically lists what is affected. Artefacts with Acc+/- aren't as specific. Maybe they should be?

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 16th March 2012, 00:01

More than likely been asked but I really don't feel like going through all 53 pages (sorry, you can understand that would be frustrating, plus seeing what version the date matches up to) but does XP still go towards skills after level 27?
In otherwords, would be possible to get all skils at level 27 by scumming the Abyss or Zigs or whatever infinite sources of killing is available after I've reached maxed character level?

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 16th March 2012, 00:11

dmurray wrote:More than likely been asked but I really don't feel like going through all 53 pages (sorry, you can understand that would be frustrating, plus seeing what version the date matches up to) but does XP still go towards skills after level 27?
In otherwords, would be possible to get all skils at level 27 by scumming the Abyss or Zigs or whatever infinite sources of killing is available after I've reached maxed character level?

You can continue to train skills after you hit (character level) 27. Skills stop sucking xp when you master them at (skill level) 27.

So yes, it is possible to grind all your skills to 27, barring a few races that have skills they can't train.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
dmurray

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 16th March 2012, 00:18

Mageykun, thank you.

Just one small thing (this could be my own mind playing tricks), with base attack delay (when you "i"ventory an item), it won't manually change the attack delay, right? Because I'm 100% sure that I had a short sword that went from 110% to 100%.
But after fooling around in wizard mode and testing it, it seems the descriptions of the attack delay doesn't decrease so I should just work out what level my weapon skill should be manually, right?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th March 2012, 01:16

Crawl doesn't show you your adjusted weapon delay. You have to work it out from the base delay and your weapon skill.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
dmurray

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 16th March 2012, 01:48

Galefury wrote:
rchandra wrote:Q: Does constriction happen more often with faster attack delay/action times? (for example, use a quick or speed blade to get constriction, or swap jewellery while constricting an enemy)?

I don't know if it lets you constrict more often. Constriction is an aux attack, so if faster attacks get you more auxes, you will also get more chances to apply constriction. If they don't you wont.

Faster actions while constricting won't do more damage, the damage is scaled down accordingly.

Can you abuse regeneration in this way?
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 16th March 2012, 03:04

tormodpwns wrote:
Galefury wrote:

Can you abuse regeneration in this way?

You shouldn't be able to. You regenerate X amount of health per some "fixed" time, using an action that only takes a part of that time then you should only get a similar fraction of the regeneration as well. I haven't tested this though, but it should be simple enough to do in wizmode

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 16th March 2012, 17:46

How can I handle having Berserk 2 on my DDFi if I lack stasis? Is there a hunger level that will prevent myself from randomly berserking? It's rather annoying when I arbitrarily berserk and then can't use any of my escape mechanisms.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 16th March 2012, 18:06

A good time to develop a ranged attack skill.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 17th March 2012, 04:53

minmay wrote:Very Hungry or lower nutrition will prevent berserk. Clarity would also work. Or just don't hit things in situations where berserking could kill you.

Necromutation will too, although I'm guessing that's not too relevant in this specific situation.
"It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky."
- sirlaser the Eclecticist (Human Wanderer), worshipper of Ashenzari

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 17th March 2012, 06:36

I believe stasis works as well. Start eating mutagenic chunks.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 17th March 2012, 16:30

Better solution: use-ID !curemut and have it (along with a couple others) removed. Now I'm just covered in rugged brown scales (AC +2, +3% HP) and slowly deteriorating, but I have like six potions of restore abilities so I'm fairly safe there

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 17th March 2012, 21:51

What's the skill levels at a which the buckler/shield/large shield penalties go away for a draconian? Henzell doesn't say.

Or do those penalties even still disappear at the right threshold? I remember some talk of changing shields so the penalties would never completely go away, like with heavy armor.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 18th March 2012, 00:02

Ah. I assumed they weren't normal sized. My mistake. Thank you.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 18th March 2012, 01:46

Does Sticky Flame stack?
i.e. is it useful to cast Sticky Flame on a monster that already has the "burning" status?

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 18th March 2012, 01:52

Henzell wrote:Hitting something with sticky flame again when it's still burning does trivial damage and restarts the duration.

It's probably more useful to run/blink away and let it burn. Or if you want better damage over time, try to lure it onto a flame cloud first then sticky.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
hxy

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 19th March 2012, 08:51

Are Okawaru powers helped much by high Invocations?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 19th March 2012, 09:59

zasvid wrote:Are Okawaru powers helped much by high Invocations?

they last longer, which is pretty useful.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th March 2012, 13:18

I found an artefact +11 Scale Armor in an early store with a DEFE. I can't afford it for a long time, but would that be a suitable armor for later on? Or would I be better off just finding a robe of resistance someplace?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th March 2012, 16:22

I found an artefact +11 Scale Armor in an early store with a DEFE. I can't afford it for a long time, but would that be a suitable armor for later on? Or would I be better off just finding a robe of resistance someplace?

Branded robes (resistance and Archmagi being the best) or mottled dragon armour are the way to go on DEFE. Scale mail is almost always crap, especially so for someone like this.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 19th March 2012, 17:45

I know, but +11! :)
I probably won't live long enough to be able to afford it anyway.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 00:52

Is there a config line that'll let me change the color of rods, to differentiate them from staffs? Something like item_glyph = rod:white?

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 04:45

Does quicksilver dragon breath dispel toggleable levitation/flight (from boot/barding)? I would have thought yes but some purple dracs in zot didn't seem to cancel it. There's a quicksilver D guarding some loot in a lava corridor (badass vault btw) and I want it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 06:58

Which proverb has "the proverbial pig"?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 07:10

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:Which proverb has "the proverbial pig"?

That's a colloquial use of the word "proverbial" that doesn't actually mean proverbial. To be spitted (spat?) like a pig isn't a proverb, or even an idiom; it's just a collocation.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 13:58

I just encountered Grinder on my HuDK with no spare minions. Shuffling through my inventory, i found a scroll of Silence and said to myself: "good idea to silence this imp and slash him hand to hand". Well, Silence didn't prevent it at all of blinking, casting pain or paralysis.
Did i misread something in Scroll of Silence description?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 14:17

One-Eyed Jack wrote:Does quicksilver dragon breath dispel toggleable levitation/flight (from boot/barding)? I would have thought yes but some purple dracs in zot didn't seem to cancel it. There's a quicksilver D guarding some loot in a lava corridor (badass vault btw) and I want it.

Dispelling breath doesn't cancel permanent flight or levitation, and it appears to reduce the duration of temporary flight and levitation rather than eliminate them.

Baine wrote:I just encountered Grinder on my HuDK with no spare minions. Shuffling through my inventory, i found a scroll of Silence and said to myself: "good idea to silence this imp and slash him hand to hand". Well, Silence didn't prevent it at all of blinking, casting pain or paralysis.

Demons are immune to silence.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 14:41

BlackSheep wrote:
Baine wrote:I just encountered Grinder on my HuDK with no spare minions. Shuffling through my inventory, i found a scroll of Silence and said to myself: "good idea to silence this imp and slash him hand to hand". Well, Silence didn't prevent it at all of blinking, casting pain or paralysis.

Oh. I see. :) Thanks for the answer !!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 14:52

In general this is true but Geryon isn't - he can't summon when he can't blow his horn! I've found this very useful some times because he is sort of hard to kill when he hides. Coward.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 14:53

eeviac wrote:Is there a config line that'll let me change the color of rods, to differentiate them from staffs? Something like item_glyph = rod:white?

I don't see one. It looks like you can only change the color of an entire class of items, and rods fall in the Staves class.
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice