The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2011, 09:19

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

So it literally escapes at your expense?

Does that mean that a unique NPC entity cannot die in the Abyss when you are not there?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2011, 10:01

So it literally escapes at your expense?

Yes.
Does that mean that a unique NPC entity cannot die in the Abyss when you are not there?

I am fairly sure that is so for baddies.
I think so for permanent allies too. :?

I got some allied orc knights either banished or lost in the abyss. When I found them again, they were mutated into more deadly things. :twisted:
It seemed buggy (IIRC, I found the same orc as 3 different monsters), and I forget most of the circumstances.
But it was awesome. :-)

[edit] This is from memory, but I'd love to know if this is right!

For this message the author dassem has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Jk

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2011, 14:52

Is there a list somewhere, or easy way to figure out, the minimum weapon skill necessary to reach minimum delay for each weapon type?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2011, 14:57

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
Jk

Jk

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2011, 15:18

Awesome, thank you. Is there something similar for spellcasting (like to cast haste at great, x charms, y spellcasting... Or if wizardry, etc)?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 23rd August 2011, 15:50

This thread is stickied:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1803

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
Jk

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 06:28

Why does my character have hitpoints given as <current>/<maximum>, followed by <maximum> + 20% or so in parentheses?

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 07:23

JasonMel wrote:Why does my character have hitpoints given as <current>/<maximum>, followed by <maximum> + 20% or so in parentheses?

Effects of degeneration of some kind (not sure exactly what causes, someone else may be able to help). The number in parens is your true max. If you quaff Healing/Heal Wounds potions or pop Wand of Healing when at max hp (number before parens) you'll start seeing the numbers go up until you hit the number in parens.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

For this message the author bobross419 has received thanks: 2
JasonMel, MyOtheHedgeFox

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 07:44

it's rot, not degeneration. early on you'll see it if you get hit by a necrophage or quaff a potion of decay. if you see "Rot" in the status area quaff a potion of healing before it does permanent damage, at which point you have to resort to quaffing potions at full health, as stated above (healing works 1HP at a time though, use heal wounds instead).
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

For this message the author absolutego has received thanks: 2
JasonMel, MyOtheHedgeFox

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 09:28

When using arrows for sticks to snakes, are there any difference between +0 arrows and more higly enchanted ones?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 10:31

Livor wrote:When using arrows for sticks to snakes, are there any difference between +0 arrows and more higly enchanted ones?

No there isn't. But using poisoned arrows increase the chances of getting a water moccasin.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 15:37

So I recently updated to 0.9 and twice now, with two different characters, when I pick up a Rune of Zot it seems to disappear. It does not show up in my inventory nor when I use the Ctl+F to look up "zot." Is this intentional? Does the game keep track of the fact that I have the Rune, or is it a bug?

Curious,

Pryor

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 15:39

Pryor wrote:So I recently updated to 0.9 and twice now, with two different characters, when I pick up a Rune of Zot it seems to disappear. It does not show up in my inventory nor when I use the Ctl+F to look up "zot." Is this intentional? Does the game keep track of the fact that I have the Rune, or is it a bug?

Curious,

Pryor

Yeah, it's intentional. Runes don't use inventory slots and weight anymore, they work like gold. You can see them in % and \. In trunk, } show the list of runes, but I added it too late for 0.9.0 (will be in 0.9.1)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 15:48

Thanks! That's a relief.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 21:17

galehar wrote:
Pryor wrote:So I recently updated to 0.9 and twice now, with two different characters, when I pick up a Rune of Zot it seems to disappear. It does not show up in my inventory nor when I use the Ctl+F to look up "zot." Is this intentional? Does the game keep track of the fact that I have the Rune, or is it a bug?

Curious,

Pryor

Yeah, it's intentional. Runes don't use inventory slots and weight anymore, they work like gold. You can see them in % and \. In trunk, } show the list of runes, but I added it too late for 0.9.0 (will be in 0.9.1)

Next up, the 1000 rune challenge (wasn't the last rune total around 600 or something?)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 21:42

The game stops generating Demonic Runes now after you pick up the first one. You now either have it or you don't. It really was more a test of patience than skill to get those large Rune count totals anyway, since once you've generated all the interesting pregenerated vaults and levels there's nothing Pan can really field to stop you any more.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 24th August 2011, 22:14

The record was 267, which is the most it was possible to carry along with the orb.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 25th August 2011, 10:09

Does Recite do anything against Orbs of Fire?

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 25th August 2011, 20:57

Are chunks considered food or corpses for the purposes of sacrificing to Nemelex Xobeh? Or are they nothing at all?

Edit : just answered it for myself. Seems they were food (wonder), and now go towards summoning instead.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 25th August 2011, 21:56

Jeremiah wrote:Does Recite do anything against Orbs of Fire?

It doesn't affect nonliving monsters apparently, so even though they're chaotic it doesn't actually affect them, no.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
Jeremiah

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 12:27

"The Daeva appears out of thin air!"

On Slime:5, that was a little unexpected. Any ideas what's going on there?

Edit: answered my own question. There is a vault with daevas on the level, and presumably one of them entered a teleport trap.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 17:40

Why are there elven and orcish blowguns if I never see any elven or orcish ammo?

Or is it that those are just easier to use by elves and orcs (who I never see carrying blowguns; just kobolds).
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 18:46

They used to exist (or at least, racial ammo in general did, not sure about needles), but racial ammo types were removed because their effect (vs base types) were inconsequential, but they hindered ammo stacking.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 19:39

JeffQyzt wrote:They used to exist (or at least, racial ammo in general did, not sure about needles), but racial ammo types were removed because their effect (vs base types) were inconsequential, but they hindered ammo stacking.

The launcher text regarding racial ammo needs to be changed then.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 19:53

I'm pretty sure I fixed that a while ago (here). Where are you seeing this?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 20:29

It'd be nice to see ammo and launcher brands and plusses streamlined as well. Thus:

plusses only on launchers, never on ammo
    velocity/penetration only on launchers
    frost/flame/poison/disperse only on ammo
    steel/silver only on ammo

Javelins and darts would be excepted, as they lack launchers.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 20:54

MarvinPA wrote:I'm pretty sure I fixed that a while ago (here). Where are you seeing this?

I'm pretty sure it's blowguns, but I'll have to double-check; currently a little pissed at dying from Wiglaf a little while ago.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 26th August 2011, 23:09

Does the attack delay for launchers work just like for melee weapons? If so, is it worth advancing a launcher skill above the skill that achieves the minimum delay?

(I'd love to know more about ranged weapon melee in general but that's a big question. This page (http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Talk:Missile) is a good start but doesn't do anything like the awesome melee weapon spreadsheet.)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 27th August 2011, 20:00

Why in hell (or Pandenomium, if you prefer) do slug-type monsters ever try to run away?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 27th August 2011, 20:02

What is the Str Weight for unarmed?

Can't find it anywhere on the wiki or kb. Also looked through the code and the only thing I could find was a reference to it not being as close to DEX as devs would have liked to balance it out for the STR heavy races like trolls.

Also, does either DEX or STR play a roll in unarmed damage at all?

The wiki seems to indicate that it does, but I can't find anything concrete anywhere that tells me for sure if one or the other does.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 27th August 2011, 20:31

bobross419 wrote:What is the Str Weight for unarmed?

Can't find it anywhere on the wiki or kb. Also looked through the code and the only thing I could find was a reference to it not being as close to DEX as devs would have liked to balance it out for the STR heavy races like trolls.

Also, does either DEX or STR play a roll in unarmed damage at all?

The wiki seems to indicate that it does, but I can't find anything concrete anywhere that tells me for sure if one or the other does.

You mean this comment? The answer you're looking for is right below. That 4 means a 40% str weight. Stats have a negligible impact on unarmed damage (just like with weapons) except when using forms.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 27th August 2011, 21:12

Has the way poison needles work changed in 0.9? I'm now finding that quite a lot of the time, when I hit a monster with a needle it does not poison it, even if it is not resistant.

I was wondering if it had been changed to make throwing skill and/or AC matter more - it would make sense that if the target was mostly covered in armour or had tough skin or scales, it would be more difficult to hit an exposed area with a needle.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 08:43

How come some players in the tournament have an 'extended' morguefile with statistics about each branch and list of vaults and some others don't ?

Also, is there a way to check the maps of the vaults you've played in a game ? I recently went through a volcano where I couldn't find anything interesting, I'd like to see if I missed a secret door or the vault was intended so...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 12:03

Jeremiah wrote:Has the way poison needles work changed in 0.9? I'm now finding that quite a lot of the time, when I hit a monster with a needle it does not poison it, even if it is not resistant.

I was wondering if it had been changed to make throwing skill and/or AC matter more - it would make sense that if the target was mostly covered in armour or had tough skin or scales, it would be more difficult to hit an exposed area with a needle.

I don't know exactly when the change was committed, but yes, throwing skill will affect your success rate with needles. A function of your throwing skill is compared to the hit dice of your target, so at throwing 27 you can affect anything not entirely immune, but without throwing skill you might need to try several times to get an effect to stick even on weak targets.

ventricule wrote:Also, is there a way to check the maps of the vaults you've played in a game ? I recently went through a volcano where I couldn't find anything interesting, I'd like to see if I missed a secret door or the vault was intended so...

Check the 'dat' folder in your crawl directory, followed by the 'des' folder to get into the folder that has all the pre-generated maps. Then for a volcano map, open 'portals' and open the file labeled 'volcano' as some sort of text document.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 13:13

Happy Corner wrote:Why in hell (or Pandenomium, if you prefer) do slug-type monsters ever try to run away?

The same reason that people playing Nagas or Chei worshipers do? :P
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 14:18

KoboldLord wrote:I don't know exactly when the change was committed, but yes, throwing skill will affect your success rate with needles. A function of your throwing skill is compared to the hit dice of your target, so at throwing 27 you can affect anything not entirely immune, but without throwing skill you might need to try several times to get an effect to stick even on weak targets.

Poisoned needles don't use the same throwing skill vs HD check as paralysis, sleep, etc. They do have to pass an AC check to poison their target, though:
x_chance_in_y(90 - 3 * victim->armour_class(), 100).

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 15:23

ventricule wrote:How come some players in the tournament have an 'extended' morguefile with statistics about each branch and list of vaults and some others don't ?

They were probably using lua scripts. Check your options guide in your docs folder.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 15:37

go to the options guide and check out dump_order.
note that if you're not careful your dump files will grow to the gazillionbytes.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 16:37

A quick newb question: how do I access my morgue files on webtiles (crawl.develz.org)?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 29th August 2011, 17:19

If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

For this message the author MyOtheHedgeFox has received thanks:
Joehai

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 15:34

Does the chance of a weapon of returning successfully returning ever reach 100%, or does it max out at some percentage/skill?
Thanks!

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 16:42

I'm not sure, minstrel, but I've been at around Throwing 15 or so and still had them occassionally not come back. Only throwing weapons that are really worth it though are Javelins and Blowguns, in my experience. If you can find a stack of Javelins of Returning and enchant the shit out of them you'll have a very solid ranged attack at your disposal.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 17:37

I wasn't really meaning to go into throwing, but my MdHu found the Lehudib's Crystal Spear early on, along with Undeadhunter, so I was tempted to train Throwing up a little to use that while I stockpile bolts to enchant. My fear is tossing it at an orc knight or warlord by accident and having it come back my way.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 18:16

from the bots:
A brand that makes the weapon return to its owner's hand when thrown. It is not guaranteed to work, and requires some Throwing skill to work at all; 3 levels gives a failure chance of 14%, while 27 gives 3%. When thrown by an enemy, fails to return something like 1 time in (HD+3). Based on some quick testing, Portaled Projectiles will not return.

if you want the formula you'll have to sourcedive.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 20:16

Failure chance of returning weapons is 1/(1 + Throwing).

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 20:17

minmay wrote:Throwing things that aren't javelins or large rocks quickly becomes useless anyway.

Yep, this is why I hate Trog Throwing gifts. He gives you nothing but darts, darts, more darts, and even more darts... The worst part is that you have to pick them all up or risk a monster grabbing them and destroying your potions (darts of frost), scrolls (darts of fire), or bouncing you around like a big pair of boobs on a marathoner (darts of dispersal). I learned to stop training Throwing at 7 when I'm worshipping Trog.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 21:31

bobross419 wrote:
minmay wrote:Throwing things that aren't javelins or large rocks quickly becomes useless anyway.

Yep, this is why I hate Trog Throwing gifts. He gives you nothing but darts, darts, more darts, and even more darts...

Not anymore.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 22:33

galehar wrote:
bobross419 wrote:

Yep, this is why I hate Trog Throwing gifts. He gives you nothing but darts, darts, more darts, and even more darts...

Not anymore.

Damn galehar, post up your mailing address so I can send you some Hershy Kisses... Only way I could get a kiss to you and not have to explain it to the wife lol.

Javelin gifts ftmfw.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 23:01

If you and a monster both have shields of reflection, can you play tennis with Orbs of Destruction?
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice