The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 15:40

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

Does Ring of Flames sometimes destroy scrolls on the ground?

I was in Swamp:2, spotted a Scroll of Acquirement nearby while RoF was active, walked over to it, and it was gone. Message log clearly shows that I spotted a scroll of acquirement -- and also shows no announcement about it getting burned up. Ctrl-F search shows no SoA in the game. It's not in my inventory and I didn't read it.

I figured that RoF must have a scroll-destroying property, but I then tested with a Scroll of Amnesia a lot of times and couldn't get it to go away. Rare effect? Bug?
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 16:31

Is it only area-of-effect things like clouds (or Fireball) that destroy things on the ground, or can a bolt of fire/cold passing through a square also destroy things?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 16:34

And yes, it's kind of rare. I spammed fireball, bolt of fire, throw flame and flame tongue at a row of scrolls and could go through 50 MP several times without one burning. And then occasionally more than one would burn at once. Look for "You see a puff of smoke." in your log. That's the message that's generated when a scroll on the floor burns.

As minmay said, if it can affect things in your inventory, it can affect things on the ground. (So yes to the bolts)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 19:01

Why does the brand of chaos randomly throw me down shafts? I am really curious about this as it seems like a really terrible effect.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 19:10

It looks like that should only happen if you fumble an attack because you're standing in water or Leda's Liquefaction.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 19:41

What effects the odds of a player minotaur getting a counter attack? Does unarmed skill help?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 19:48

mageykun wrote:What effects the odds of a player minotaur getting a counter attack? Does unarmed skill help?

Dex and strength help- I think the chance is (dex + stength)/100 each time there is a turn that you dodge, but it might be out of 54 or something else. The formula has been posted in the tavern before (in this thread, probably), but I don't see it on the knowledge bots. Unarmed skill does not make a difference.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 20:09

BlackSheep wrote:It looks like that should only happen if you fumble an attack because you're standing in water or Leda's Liquefaction.

Well, it's not Leda's Liquefaction. It happens when I'm standing on solid ground and just using the staff. A lot.

It reminds me a lot of one of the Nemelex Cards that when you draw it, it gives you Flight and simultaneously creates a shaft below you for no discernable reason.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 20:24

minmay wrote:It's not tied to fumbling. Hitting something with chaos brand can also kill you from full HP. I guess whoever implemented the brand figured that since it was already terrible it wouldn't be a problem to make it kill you outright for extra chaos flavour.

Wow, that's a pretty darn useless brand. I'd be better off using the quarterstaff of distortion +2/+2 that I have (I have animate skeleton!)

And I just got shafted again; standing on normal ground, missed hitting a troll. Forget this weapon; thanks, Yuif.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 20:37

The formula for a player minotaur's retaliation is:
  Code:
if (5 * you.strength() + 7 * you.dex() > random2(600))

As for chaos weapons, I found another place where chaos effects are applied to a player attacking. Looks like there's a 1 in 100 chance of moving the stairs out from under you with each attack, and a 1 in 1000 chance of shafting you if you're on a level that can have a shaft and aren't flying. Also, spell miscast effects.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 20:41

XuaXua wrote:It reminds me a lot of one of the Nemelex Cards that when you draw it, it gives you Flight and simultaneously creates a shaft below you for no discernable reason.

Shafts are a pretty good escape route, in a pinch.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, XuaXua

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 20:47

XuaXua wrote:It reminds me a lot of one of the Nemelex Cards that when you draw it, it gives you Flight and simultaneously creates a shaft below you for no discernable reason.

Wouldn't that be to make going down the shaft optional for the player?

Here's a new question: how much Evocation skill should one have if one wants to use "hexing" wands such as Confusion, Paralysis, Slowing, Enslavement as part of one's standard strategy for difficult enemies?

I know that resists are partly dependent on monster MR. What I don't know is how much of a factor your own Evocation skill is compared to monster MR, or what the "more than X is overkill" or "less than Y and don't bother zapping" ranges are.

While learning the game I had nothing but bad experiences trying to apply status effects to dangerous enemies. Turns where you don't accomplish anything in dangerous circumstances are too costly. Now I realize that I probably hadn't invested enough in Evocations.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:

For this message the author mattlistener has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 21:49

mattlistener wrote:Here's a new question: how much Evocation skill should one have if one wants to use "hexing" wands such as Confusion, Paralysis, Slowing, Enslavement as part of one's standard strategy for difficult enemies?

Don't bother. Your bad experiences are typical. It is not worth investing in evocations just to have better odds of success with the Useless Useful wands. The spell versions of these status effects struggle to keep up on functionality throughout the game, and the spell versions aren't restricted by the limitation of a flat number of charges.

Early on, these wands are handy because threatening monsters are available that have MR that is sufficiently crippled to be affected, and you don't have a whole lot of other alternatives to choose from either. Eventually, though, you're going to throw the crap wands in the rubbish stack regardless of what build you're pursuing. Even a high-evocations build won't have the inventory capacity to waste on wands of slowing once they're past mid-Lair.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
mattlistener

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 04:28

Hm, ok, thanks KL. I wonder if the devs are happy with this state of things?
In Progress:

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 04:31

Why shouldn't they be? Not every item should remain relevant though the entire game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 04:32

MarvinPA wrote:

Shafts are a pretty good escape route, in a pinch.

I... just never considered that. It makes total sense, but it's really not that obvious.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 11:26

How useful/how much impact does improving power of charms have?

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 13:41

phonix wrote:How useful/how much impact does improving power of charms have?

In my experience, minimal after you get them to low failure rate. It will increase the duration of them which can be convenient but probably not worth the XP investment.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 19:14

On the Damnation card, do the chances of the player going to the Abyss go down with # of enemies in LOS (above 1)?

Does this answer apply to other Damnation effects?
In Progress:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 20:19

Yes, the first banishment attempt selects randomly among all visible monsters plus you. Subsequent banishments provided by high card power skip you.

What other damnation effects do you mean?

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
mattlistener

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 20:38

Thanks. From your question I gather there are no other effects that attempt to send someone (player or other) to the Abyss.
In Progress:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 21:08

There surely are, but Damnation is just the name of the card found in decks. Other effects that send you to the Abyss are referred to as banishment, and have a single target.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 22:07

the +13,+3 bardiche of Valiance (weapon) {god gift, speed, +Inv Str+4, DAD IM HOME}

OR

the +6,+5 executioner's axe "Twuxy" {god gift, vamp, rElec rF+ rC++

Both are so good...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 22:20

Pick the executioner's axe if you like being reset to full hp after every attack for most of the game. Pick the bardiche if you've already cleared Zot and have only demonic or undead post-endgame branches to complete.

Also, I'm thinking spiteful thoughts at you.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th March 2012, 03:03

KoboldLord wrote:Also, I'm thinking spiteful thoughts at you.

I know! Both in one game??

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 24th March 2012, 10:59

is there any way to edit or remove annotations from a level that you're not on (and not on a stairs next to it), perhaps from the X map/travel mode?
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th March 2012, 16:01

Doesn't appear to be, but it would be a nice addition...

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 24th March 2012, 17:44

I think X map does let you do that. Did you try it?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th March 2012, 20:38

I did, pressing ! in map mode exits map mode.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 24th March 2012, 22:47

rchandra wrote:is there any way to edit or remove annotations from a level that you're not on (and not on a stairs next to it), perhaps from the X map/travel mode?

I have made this patch.

For this message the author CommanderC has received thanks: 3
Grimm, mageykun, rchandra

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 00:42

Does picking up the orb close the Vestibule? Most pages on the wiki sais yes, but the page on the orb specifically exempts the vestibule...

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 13:33

CommanderC wrote:
rchandra wrote:is there any way to edit or remove annotations from a level that you're not on (and not on a stairs next to it), perhaps from the X map/travel mode?

I have made this patch.

It's in, thanks!
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Grimm

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 20:41

How long, exactly, does Trog's wrath last? I can't find the number anywhere.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th March 2012, 20:54

So I estimate that with excellent luck (one retribution every 2000 turns, always roll a 3 for penance reduction) the wrath will last 32,000 turns, and with poor luck (always roll a 1) it will last 100,000 turns, more if retribution comes less often that once per 2000 turns.

So: Trog's wrath lasts from 32,000 to 100,000+ turns.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 12:04

Once past the first few floors ogres seem extremely squishy (low EV, can't wear armour). How best to keep them alive?

Also, if an ogre takes Okawaru as its god, is there a chance he'll gift armour that fits?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 12:33

To keep them alive, you can either raise dex and dodging or simply improve your tactics. Considering that your top priority with an Okawaru ogre should be min delay GSC, I tend towards the latter. Use corridors, spam Heroism, don't charge towards ranged attackers, use curare, teleport two turns earlier than you used to teleport.
Basically leaving on M&F till 22 and not training anything else is going to be the easiest thing you can do, using Heroism additionally. After that, Throwing or Fighting or Armour depending on gear found and character type. I'm assuming you're not casting spells at all or not at that stage of the game.
Okawaru will exclusively gift armour that fits, never anything you can't wear. However, he won't always gift body armour, but also work towards filling your hat and cloak slots. There also might be a couple useless shield gifts, which is always annoying on Og.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks: 2
Moanerette, rebthor

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 12:56

Ah OK, I've not been using Heroism enough by the sound of it. My big problems tend to be with monsters faster than me or with hefty ranged attacks - orc priests/wizards and centaurs can be very troublesome at low levels, especially on open maps. The query did indeed relate to low-level non-casters, as I should have stated.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 13:47

Can someone explain to me how you're supposed to play a DDee? I fired one up on a whim and now I'm at lair 7 with death yaks and elephants and no idea what I'm doing. Without vehumets mana from kills or sif munas channeling I run out of mana almost straight off the bat. I'm obviously not understanding something about this combo.

Edit: nevermind killed myself with LRD

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 16:28

phonix wrote:Can someone explain to me how you're supposed to play a DDee? I fired one up on a whim and now I'm at lair 7 with death yaks and elephants and no idea what I'm doing. Without vehumets mana from kills or sif munas channeling I run out of mana almost straight off the bat. I'm obviously not understanding something about this combo.

I'm interested in this too. A primarily direct-damage caster who needs to spam spells to kill things needs mana recovery. So if a DDEE of Makhleb hasn't found staff of channeling, crystal ball, or sublimation of blood, I'm thinking they'd either need to branch into a ranged weapon or Summons.

That's all hypothetical for me though, my DDEEs of Makhleb have managed none of the above before getting into too much trouble from stuff they couldn't run away from.
In Progress:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 16:36

I'm interested in this too. A primarily direct-damage caster who needs to spam spells to kill things needs mana recovery. So if a DDEE of Makhleb hasn't found staff of channeling, crystal ball, or sublimation of blood, I'm thinking they'd either need to branch into a ranged weapon or Summons.

Usually you pick up some melee weapon. You have your ranged abilities covered. Staff of earth is great but nothing is wrong with an axe either.
And don't forget greater servants for situations like the one described above...

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 16:42

mattlistener wrote:
phonix wrote:Can someone explain to me how you're supposed to play a DDee? I fired one up on a whim and now I'm at lair 7 with death yaks and elephants and no idea what I'm doing. Without vehumets mana from kills or sif munas channeling I run out of mana almost straight off the bat. I'm obviously not understanding something about this combo.

That's all hypothetical for me though, my DDEEs of Makhleb have managed none of the above before getting into too much trouble from stuff they couldn't run away from.

"Primarily direct damage" is one particular niche playstyle, and without Sif then you'll always run the risk of not finding a ready means of channelling until very late in the game.

The simple answer is, if you don't have deity MP recovery, then you either have to diversify your character into not direct damage spells and/or some melee (and there are plenty of options that will give a far better MP-to-kills ratio if used well), or accept that every single battle will end up as "kill stuff until my MP runs out then run away, rest and repeat". Crawl is about adapting to change. This is why I think Sif is a boring god, she simply removes all variability in terms of casting, with pretty much no downsides or new choices to compensate.

So this has to factor into the decision when you take up a god. If you don't choose Sif then you should already be accepting that a pure conjurations build might not be possible.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 18:51

All my EEs end up wearing plate and tabbing stuff to death.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th March 2012, 23:28

Grimm wrote:So I estimate that with excellent luck (one retribution every 2000 turns, always roll a 3 for penance reduction) the wrath will last 32,000 turns, and with poor luck (always roll a 1) it will last 100,000 turns, more if retribution comes less often that once per 2000 turns.

So: Trog's wrath lasts from 32,000 to 100,000+ turns.

I recently converted from Trog to TSO and the wrath lasted 36,653 turns.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 00:25

The only mp recovery move a Lair 7 caster needs is the one where you run to the stairs and mash 5. Pack herbivores are annoying because they run away when injured while the healthy ones tank your projectiles, but once you've worked out what they're doing it should be clear that the trick is to either split them up or use something that can hit the runners even behind a meat shield. In the case of earth elementalists, you can just drop the runners with a Rapid Deconstruction or two. Every one of them you pick off will weaken the entire pack for the next time you go hunting.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 03:09

Thanks for the responses on the DDEE combo. I guess I've had enough experiences getting pasted by letting things get close to me that I'm super wary about that with a no-healing race. And all the times I've decided to try for heavy armor I've ended up going medium at most because I want to cast buffs. More to learn I know -- that's why I keep playing!
In Progress:

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 05:35

Should I do slime pits before dropping Oka for TSO?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th March 2012, 09:04

phonix wrote:Should I do slime pits before dropping Oka for TSO?

I'd do slime pits after dropping Oka for Zin. He gives full mutation resistance at high piety. And you can switch to TSO easily later.
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice