The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 14:34

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

sir_laser wrote:Your lack of rF is a fairly substantial problem, because if you stumble upon Cerebov's realm without at least rF++ (Fire Storm is ~8d16 damage per cast from him, I think) a 15 runer is probably not possible.

With cBlink+Haste (+stealth for extra bonus) you don't have to fight Cerebov. In fact i think most 15-runers don't kill Cerebov, as there is a chance that even the most powerful character may fail here.
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

For this message the author slowcar has received thanks:
sir_laser

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 16:44

Does an amulet of faith help to reduce the penance counter if you still workship the angry god?

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 18:28

Is there a way to macro a button, so it chooses a safe expirable food from your inventory and eats it? (aka, doesn't eat rotten stuff, doesn't eat rations etc that will not expire)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 18:45

Even better, there's an option you can enable in your init.txt file that will choose the oldest safe chunk in your inventory when you press e to eat.

Uncomment (delete the # mark) the line "easy_eat_chunks = true" to enable that feature.

Check the options_guide.txt file in your docs directory for more detailed info on all the easy_eat options.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 18:57

Oh wow, that's really cool, thanks alot :) with this feature, keybinding o to tab and macroing za zb zc zd etc to 1 2 3 4. I am finally getting a really streamlined keyboard setup :)

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 19:16

Thanks for the advice, slowcar and sir_laser. I thought my question was "too small to need it's own thread"; perhaps I'll post to CIP after Slime if I require more advice. Slime, here we come!

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 19:35

Oh! Another quick question: can someone explain the Fighting HP bonus, please? I read the wiki and seem to understand that at Fighting:3 or 4, my HP bonus would max out. I mistakenly trained Fighting above 3 when at XP27 and my HP went up. What is the minimum Fighting skill required for the maximum HP bonus?

Edit: I'm playing 0.9.1

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 19:42

Fighting continues to give an HP bonus all the way up to 27.

lxl

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 21:05

Jeremiah wrote:Fighting continues to give an HP bonus all the way up to 27.

What's the formula for the HP bonus due to Fighting?

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 21:44

All sources of regeneration stack, right? So a mummy can stack troll leather and 2 rings of regeneration, and they'll all improve his healing rate?

lxl wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:Fighting continues to give an HP bonus all the way up to 27.

What's the formula for the HP bonus due to Fighting?

The Knowledge Bots will answer most of these simple questions: http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/bots

"The Fighting skill gives you a bonus to accuracy and damage in melee, and improves your hit points by (racial factor * Fighting * XL) / 8.". I'm not sure what the racial factor is for each race, it just implies that the squishier races will gain less bonus HP.
Last edited by eeviac on Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author eeviac has received thanks:
lxl

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 21:53

minmay wrote:If you have low enough Evocations, experience card often does nothing at all, or gives you 2 XP and might as well have done nothing at all.

So... the value of cards is directly related to your Evocations. Got it.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 22:10

slowcar wrote:
sir_laser wrote:Your lack of rF is a fairly substantial problem, because if you stumble upon Cerebov's realm without at least rF++ (Fire Storm is ~8d16 damage per cast from him, I think) a 15 runer is probably not possible.

With cBlink+Haste (+stealth for extra bonus) you don't have to fight Cerebov. In fact i think most 15-runers don't kill Cerebov, as there is a chance that even the most powerful character may fail here.

Oh...I didn't know that (usually play offline). Thanks.
"It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky."
- sirlaser the Eclecticist (Human Wanderer), worshipper of Ashenzari

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 15th February 2012, 23:30

eeviac wrote:All sources of regeneration stack, right? So a mummy can stack troll leather and 2 rings of regeneration, and they'll all improve his healing rate?

Yes, and you regenerate HP faster than you can uncork healing potions - without any cost. :D

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 16th February 2012, 04:24

BlackSheep wrote:Even better, there's an option you can enable in your init.txt file that will choose the oldest safe chunk in your inventory when you press e to eat.

Uncomment (delete the # mark) the line "easy_eat_chunks = true" to enable that feature.

Check the options_guide.txt file in your docs directory for more detailed info on all the easy_eat options.

That's pretty awesome, I have been thinking... WOW, there are a lot of things you can do to make it easier 8-)

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th February 2012, 16:00

Which ring of slaying is better for an unarmed/transformed fighter, +5+5 or +0+7? It looks like accuracy doesn't help much for melee weapons but is this the case for unarmed combat as well?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 16th February 2012, 16:42

smock wrote:Which ring of slaying is better for an unarmed/transformed fighter, +5+5 or +0+7? It looks like accuracy doesn't help much for melee weapons but is this the case for unarmed combat as well?

If this is trunk, 2 additional points of damage don't matter much. I'd pick the +5+5.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 16th February 2012, 17:34

Conversely, if it's .9, the +7 is better.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th February 2012, 21:09

thanks for the responses.

Hm. If the additional +2 doesn't matter much, then the first +5 don't matter much more and it's probably not worth spending the 1600-1900 gold on them.

It was my understanding that the contribution of slaying was halved in trunk. So a +5 ring in trunk might be like a +2 or +3 ring in 0.9. Likewise, a +7 ring might be link +3 or +4.

Judging from Danr's weapons spreadsheet accuracy has almost no affect on weapon damage. Is the same true of the effect of accuracy on unarmed damage?

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 07:54

The golems coming in any time soon (or any time at all)? Didn't want to make a new thread just for this question in the GD section.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 13:21

Not any time soon, probably. I had a look at CoffeeOblivion's patches a while ago, but I think there's still a lot of work to do in terms of even figuring out how they should work, let alone actually implementing that. I do quite like the concept though, feel free to resurrect the old golem thread with any additional ideas and maybe I'll refresh myself and have a think about what ideas would work at some point.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 16:01

how do you get summons the command to roam freely and attack at will?

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 17th February 2012, 18:37

slowcar wrote:how do you get summons the command to roam freely and attack at will?

"t", then "w". The text says "wait here" but they'll start wandering around.

For this message the author Mattchew has received thanks:
slowcar

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 18th February 2012, 03:56

Ever since I upgraded to .10, every time I see a disturbance in water tiles, it has the humanoid simulacrum sprite overlaid on it, too.

Is that a bug, or a deliberate change?

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 18th February 2012, 05:58

Happy Corner wrote:Ever since I upgraded to .10, every time I see a disturbance in water tiles, it has the humanoid simulacrum sprite overlaid on it, too.

Is that a bug, or a deliberate change?

It's actually more of a white player doll, and it's a feature. It's an indication that there was a monster you couldn't see around there. You'll see that more often when orc wizards turn invisible; it gives you an idea of where it once was.

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks: 2
Happy Corner, MyOtheHedgeFox

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 18th February 2012, 18:12

Does it stay there only for one turn?
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 00:57

I was on a promising MuBe and upon seeing a bunch of orc warriors on D:10 I summoned a berserk Ogre. To my horror, my Ogre initially killed a big kobold zombie and then stood there doing nothing while I was getting beat up by the warriors. I ended up dying with my berserk ally just sitting there doing nothing. A bug?
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 05:34

1. Does a worn ring of ice improve the damage from a weapon with the freezing brand at all?
  2. If I did 10 damage with Vampiric Draining to a drainable enemy with 2 HP left, would I heal 5 HP or 1 HP?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 08:22

how do I constrict multiple enemies as an octopode?
Once an enemy is constricted do I need to keep attacking it to damage it?
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 14:12

I'm trying to figure out using two weapon sets on the console version. Everytime I switch to slot b and wield a weapon and then try to switch back and forth between them the game "unwields" the b slot weapon once I go back to weapon a. Is this standard or am I missing a keystroke to save that weapon in that slot?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th February 2012, 15:41

ClefAria wrote:
  1. Does a worn ring of ice improve the damage from a weapon with the freezing brand at all?
  2. If I did 10 damage with Vampiric Draining to a drainable enemy with 2 HP left, would I heal 5 HP or 1 HP?

A ring of ice only improves the spell power of Ice magic spells, so no.
I believe vampiric effects in crawl are capped at the actual hp of the target, so you'd either get 2 or 1 HP. For the exact calculation, I'd suggest going code diving.

rchandra wrote:how do I constrict multiple enemies as an octopode?
Once an enemy is constricted do I need to keep attacking it to damage it?

Attack an enemy, then attack a second enemy.
No, once constricted, you can happily proceed to murder his comrades while he suffers a slow, suffocating death.

Virigoth wrote:I'm trying to figure out using two weapon sets on the console version. Everytime I switch to slot b and wield a weapon and then try to switch back and forth between them the game "unwields" the b slot weapon once I go back to weapon a. Is this standard or am I missing a keystroke to save that weapon in that slot?

I'm not sure what you mean by switching to slot b. To switch weapons, assign those items to the inventory slots a and b. Do this by pressing = then i, then the letter of the item you want to move, then the target letter. So if you had a dagger in inventory slot r, you'd press =ira. Do the same with your second weapon, but assign it to inventory slot b. (i.e. press =iFb if your sling is assigned to letter F in your inventory)

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks: 2
rchandra, Virigoth

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 09:30

I used to know this: if there are two portals on a floor, does the countdown clock stop for portal A when I enter portal B, such that I'll definitely be able to enter both?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 10:00

As I understand the current timing function, there's no special effort to stop the timers of a second portal vault once you go into the first. However, in cases other than labyrinths and timed bazaars, I've found that there's almost invariably plenty of time to fully explore whichever you find first and still make it to the second before it closes. The long timer is long, and the contents of a portal vault is usually much smaller than a normal level.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Grimm

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 10:07

I rolled a Labyrinth and an Ice Cave, magic mapped them so I know exactly how to get there...I surmise that I should enter the Labyrinth first?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 10:41

Yes. The only way you're getting out of an Ice Cavern fast enough to make the Labyrinth timer is if you see it's the two-dragon version again and decide to just bail out through the exit portal before you even start. On the other hand, I've cleared Labyrinths multiple times and still had time to access the Ice Cavern on the same level, so there's definitely time. The Labyrinth is probably going to be a lot safer and more lucrative loot-wise, too.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 2
Grimm, MyOtheHedgeFox

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 15:28

Mattchew wrote:
slowcar wrote:how do you get summons the command to roam freely and attack at will?

"t", then "w". The text says "wait here" but they'll start wandering around.

Maybe the text should be changed to something like "Wander nearby" instead of "Wait here"?

Only mentioning this because it took me a while to figure this out myself.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 19:55

oh, the temptation. Found the katana "Autumn" (+8 slice clarity) with my mummy summoner. but i guess it takes so long to get long blades usable that the weapon is no longer good - and the xp would better be spent on something else?
xl 11, D12, just found lair, did not do ork yet, only the starting book so far.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 20:30

slowcar wrote:oh, the temptation. Found the katana "Autumn" (+8 slice clarity) with my mummy summoner. but i guess it takes so long to get long blades usable that the weapon is no longer good - and the xp would better be spent on something else?

I don't really play mummies, but clarity that doesn't take up an amulet slot seems like it would be great, especially since you can't cure confusion with potions. It also seems like you have plenty of game left to get long blades up, and that's probably up there in terms of highest raw DPS on a 1-hander.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 20:35

slowcar wrote:oh, the temptation. Found the katana "Autumn" (+8 slice clarity) with my mummy summoner. but i guess it takes so long to get long blades usable that the weapon is no longer good - and the xp would better be spent on something else?

I'd guess you'd only need long blades of 12 to get min delay, and frankly for statsticks, it is pretty nice.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 21:07

Yet Another Stupid Noob wrote:

I'd guess you'd only need long blades of 12 to get min delay, and frankly for statsticks, it is pretty nice.

And only ~6 to get to "acceptable" aka 1 turn delay which is easy even on a MuSu. It's not like you're going to be meleeing everything in sight.

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 21:49

Damn. And I've been wondering if that bad ass weapon spawns in the game. I've never happened to get it through my many Trog/Okawaru/acquirement attempts. Frankly, I don't play Long Blades much. :P
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 22:46

TehDruid wrote:Damn. And I've been wondering if that bad ass weapon spawns in the game. I've never happened to get it through my many Trog/Okawaru/acquirement attempts. Frankly, I don't play Long Blades much. :P

I've never seen it before. And managed to lose that character, of course. Now i have my next MuSu standing at a weapon shop where they sell the storm bow for 256 gold (+8 elec longbow). Another artifact i never saw before, and again on a mummy...

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 23:26

Wait till you find crystal plate armour on D:1 on an Ogre... :cry:
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 23:42

Wait till you first find crystal plate armour on D:1 and then an Ogre... :(

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 21st February 2012, 23:45

I thought katanas had been eliminated. Did "Autumn" get grandfathered?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd February 2012, 01:06

If you get the demonspawn mutation that conserves potions, is that cumulative with normal conservation (amulet, cloak, whatever)?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd February 2012, 01:45

Grimm wrote:I thought katanas had been eliminated. Did "Autumn" get grandfathered?

It's the only one left, and judging by the base stats I'd say the removal was pushed by a katana fetishist in the first place. There's no comparison between the base stat spread of the Autumn Katana and a double sword or demon blade; the thing's a monster. Were these katana a normal item that could get more desirable brands than vorpal, they couldn't even pretend to be balanced with other weapons.

Happy Corner wrote:If you get the demonspawn mutation that conserves potions, is that cumulative with normal conservation (amulet, cloak, whatever)?

Yes, but only multiplicatively. So wearing an amulet of conservation would give a hypothetical ice-facet demonspawn 90% conservation for scrolls and 99% for potions.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Grimm

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 22nd February 2012, 02:21

The autumn katana wasn't grandfathered, it was added (as a long sword with some slaying) after katanas as a weapon type were already removed. Then a while after that it was made possible to redefine the base stats of fixed artefacts, which is how it now has its own stats (likewise the Captain's Cutlass and Wyrmbane having unique cutlass and lance stats, respectively).

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
Grimm

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd February 2012, 14:57

Is there a drawback to firing/throwing missiles at melee range?

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 22nd February 2012, 15:12

BlackSheep wrote:Is there a drawback to firing/throwing missiles at melee range?

IMHO, no. And for early hunters, it can be a lifesaver.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice