The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 17:18

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

I've noticed that poisoned needles stack oddly. I'll have 14, 4, and 2 in three separate groups, yet they all appear alike. What am I missing, here?

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 17:20

Some are enchanted.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 19:14

If I have a sabre of electrocution or a quarterstaff of chaos, will a scroll of enchant weapon have any positive effect? I've tried the scroll and frankly saw no difference, except that the item "glowed green" for a moment.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 19:23

scrolls increase weapon enchantment, which is good. if you haven't identified the weapon yet you won't see its enchantment, but it's there. keep hacking at things and you'll eventually learn learn it (high levels in the appropriate skill will help you see this faster), or burn a scroll of identify on it if you're really curious.

the scrolls don't work on artefacts, and for normal weapons with +5 or greater enchantments they may or may not work (the success rate falls as enchantment increases).

that sabre is a really good weapon. anything with the chaos brand is a terrible weapon. use the sabre.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 19:37

I'm not seeing any enchantment on either the sabre or the quarterstaff, however, after using those scrolls. Shouldn't there be some change in the description>, such as +2 from +1?

As for the quarterstaff, I just figured that as bad as my DEFE is with weapons, getting any kind of a hit that has a magical effect was likely to be better than vaguely trying to hit and maybe doing a few points of damage. The sabre, for example, is described as +4 to accuracy and 7 to damage, before and after the scroll was read.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 20:08

Borodin wrote:I'm not seeing any enchantment on either the sabre or the quarterstaff, however, after using those scrolls. Shouldn't there be some change in the description>, such as +2 from +1?

The description only tells you the base damage, which doesn't change. If you saw a green glow, they got enchanted, and their bonuses increased. You have to use the weapon a lot (less with higher weapon skill) or use an identify scroll to know what the bonuses are.

Borodin wrote:As for the quarterstaff, I just figured that as bad as my DEFE is with weapons, getting any kind of a hit that has a magical effect was likely to be better than vaguely trying to hit and maybe doing a few points of damage.

It is generally unwise to use chaos weapons because the magical effects that they can have on enemies includes healing, hasting, berserking, polymorph, torment, and invisibility. Granted, those bad effects won't happen often, but chaos is the only brand where successfully hitting a monster with your weapon can result in a strictly worse situation for you. Accidentally berserking that orc wielding a halberd can kill you.

Unless you're worshipping Xom, in which case Xom finds this HILARIOUS!

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 20:23

Caethan wrote:The description only tells you the base damage, which doesn't change. If you saw a green glow, they got enchanted, and their bonuses increased. You have to use the weapon a lot (less with higher weapon skill) or use an identify scroll to know what the bonuses are.

Thanks! I wasn't aware that once an item was known, it still needed a scroll of identify to recognize further changes. Is it just my imagination, or is there a sadistic element at times present in that world...?

It is generally unwise to use chaos weapons because the magical effects that they can have on enemies includes healing, hasting, berserking, polymorph, torment, and invisibility. Granted, those bad effects won't happen often, but chaos is the only brand where successfully hitting a monster with your weapon can result in a strictly worse situation for you. Accidentally berserking that orc wielding a halberd can kill you.

Unless you're worshipping Xom, in which case Xom finds this HILARIOUS!

Come to think of it, maybe he's the one who designed the need for multiple identify scrolls. ;)

Once again ,thanks very much.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 20:46

Borodin wrote:I'm not seeing any enchantment on either the sabre or the quarterstaff, however, after using those scrolls. Shouldn't there be some change in the description>, such as +2 from +1?

As for the quarterstaff, I just figured that as bad as my DEFE is with weapons, getting any kind of a hit that has a magical effect was likely to be better than vaguely trying to hit and maybe doing a few points of damage. The sabre, for example, is described as +4 to accuracy and 7 to damage, before and after the scroll was read.

1) Were you wielding the item when you read the scroll? You need to be wielding it.

2) What version are you playing? In some recent early versions of TRUNK the enchantment didn't visually apply.

3) If you haven't ID'd the +#/+# yet, it won't show. You need skill or a scroll of ID to ID the +'s

4) Enchantment doesn't affect the accuracy/damage/speed in the item description (in my opinion, I think they should); those are simply the base values for the item.

I suspect you have not yet identified the plusses for the items in question.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 20:54

XuaXua wrote:

1) Were you wielding the item when you read the scroll? You need to be wielding it.

Check.

2) What version are you playing? In some recent early versions of TRUNK the enchantment didn't visually apply.

I'm running the Windows tileset 0.9.1.

3) If you haven't ID'd the +#/+# yet, it won't show. You need skill or a scroll of ID to ID the +'s

Didn't do that. I took the sabre of electrocution off a unique--can't remember his name, which is regrettable. I wanted to thank his relatives.

4) Enchantment doesn't affect the accuracy/damage/speed in the item description (in my opinion, I think they should); those are simply the base values for the item.

I agree with you. The item's values were visible when I got it. It seems inconsistent to have those values, including the electrical aspect of the thing, easy to note, but once it's enchanted, it's not possible to observe the differences.

I suspect you have not yet identified the plusses for the items in question.

Only those that showed: accuracy 4, damage 7, base attack delay 120, electrical discharges. I'll assume for now that the pluses apply, because I'd really rather use the few identify scrolls I find on potentially important things that have no ID, at all.

Thanks very much!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd November 2011, 23:42

Borodin: There's another set of pluses to accuracy and damage that you don't currently see yet. If you have at least one skill level in that weapon, you'll eventually get them revealed to you if you whack on plants repeatedly. The chance of learning these bonuses are (your skill level / 100), so if you have 5 short blades skill you have a 1 in 20 chance of learning the sabre's bonuses each time you attack with it.

Once you've gotten the bonus of a weapon revealed to you, it'll stay revealed even if the bonus changes. So if your sabre is +0/+1, and you read an enchant weapon II scroll, it'll visibly change to +0/+2. This bonus is on the weapon line itself, between the weapon type and the brand type.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 3
Borodin, pratamawirya, Zelkelion

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 00:48

What skill levels do I need to get ice storm castable?

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 01:32

Anonymous Bosch wrote:What skill levels do I need to get ice storm castable?

It's clear my info was incorrect, so I'm withdrawing it.
Last edited by Borodin on Sunday, 6th November 2011, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 01:44

On a spriggan with 24 int you can be at 27 spell casting with 20 in conjurations and 23 ice magic and still only have it at 'Good' while at honeycomb cost. With 38 int instead it's hungerless and at 'Great' basically it is a HUGE investment overall to get it online but once it is is very useful.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 02:28

Pretty much as low as you're going to get: 20 int, 20 spc, 20 conj, 20 ice, worshipping Vehumet, using wizardry, Ice Storm is at Great.
With 30 int, 20 spc, 20 conj, and 20 ice, you can reach Great without Vehumet but you still need wizardry.
With 20 int, 20 spc, 24 conj, and 24 ice, you can reach Great without Vehumet and with wizardry.
Even if all relevant skills are maxed, you will never reach Great without Vehumet and without wizardry if int is only 20. With 25 int, you can barely get it to Great sans success boosters.
And so on. If you want to cast it relatively low-level, worship Vehumet and use wizardry. If not, boost int as much as humanly possible (always a good idea anyway), and don't expect to get anywhere until your skills are nearly maxed out.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 03:09

I've got a character who has a cursed helmet, marked {SInv}. What does the abbreviation stand for?

In addition, my DEFE is suddenly going through food like it's nobody else's business. I don't see anything that would contribute to this, except possibly burdening. Does this contribute to a character's hunger?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 03:11

Borodin wrote:I've got a character who has a cursed helmet, marked {SInv}. What does the abbreviation stand for?

In addition, my DEFE is suddenly going through food like it's nobody else's business. I don't see anything that would contribute to this, except possibly burdening. Does this contribute to a character's hunger?

SInv stands for see invisible. It lets you see invisible.

Burdening has a severe impact on food costs.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 03:27

Blade wrote:
Borodin wrote:I've got a character who has a cursed helmet, marked {SInv}. What does the abbreviation stand for?

SInv stands for see invisible. It lets you see invisible.

Burdening has a severe impact on food costs.

Thought so about SInv. Funny thing was that my character wore the helmet because it offered more protection. Then it got cursed by a mummy. I thought I had a Remove Curse scroll, but what I had was Detect Curse--and it not only detected what I already knew, it also showed the ability to see invisible creatures.

As for the burdening, I was afraid of that. Thanks.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 04:46

FYI, the Spell Lab was designed to answer exactly these sorts of questions: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1803

It's built around 0.8, but to the best of my knowledge, spell success calculations haven't changed since.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 14:11

Borodin wrote:Thought so about SInv. Funny thing was that my character wore the helmet because it offered more protection. Then it got cursed by a mummy. I thought I had a Remove Curse scroll, but what I had was Detect Curse--and it not only detected what I already knew, it also showed the ability to see invisible creatures.

First off, putting on the helm should have revealed that it lets you see invisible creatures. Detect curse does no such thing. Second, if you are unsure what an autoinscription such as SInv means you can always check the item description. It will mention all attributes of the item in plain text.

Regarding your DEFE, spells have a food cost. High level spells can have a very high food cost. II or z?I show food cost of spells. The mentioned food item will provide enough nutrition to let you cast the spell at least 10 times. Burdening is also quite significant of course, but nothing compared to the food cost of spamming Fireball at Choko or even Honeycomb cost.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 16:06

Galefury wrote:First off, putting on the helm should have revealed that it lets you see invisible creatures. Detect curse does no such thing.

Putting it on revealed nothing. It was a nice shiny object on my character's head. If Detect Curse didn't do it, then something else did. Could some kind of chaotic attack by a monster have turned it both cursed and detect invisibility?

Regarding your DEFE, spells have a food cost. High level spells can have a very high food cost. II or z?I show food cost of spells. The mentioned food item will provide enough nutrition to let you cast the spell at least 10 times. Burdening is also quite significant of course, but nothing compared to the food cost of spamming Fireball at Choko or even Honeycomb cost.

I expect it was a combination of an occasional Bolt of Fire and burden. Nothing else comes to mind, but if it isn't BoF, I can't think what's doing it. No item or mutation causing a change in metabolism, etc.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 16:47

Can shatter destroy walls that are out of view? Specifically, if I use it in Slime 6 out of sight of the treasure vaults is there a chance of it letting jellies get at my loot?

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 21:29

I'm wondering; do I get any exp when a tear in reality consumes someone I hit with my daggar of distortion? A character ended up equipping one early on and while it is useful, and it is dangerous to unequip, i grow concerned that i may be missing out on exp. I want to know if its worth the risk to take it off or not. I'm a level 10 kabold at the moment, melee build.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th November 2011, 23:53

Daydreamer wrote:Can shatter destroy walls that are out of view? Specifically, if I use it in Slime 6 out of sight of the treasure vaults is there a chance of it letting jellies get at my loot?

Shatter is fairly likely to destroy walls out of view, and amorphous creatures such as jellies are resistant to it anyway. Earth elementalists should stick to Iron Shot in Slime.

Galdon wrote:I'm wondering; do I get any exp when a tear in reality consumes someone I hit with my daggar of distortion? A character ended up equipping one early on and while it is useful, and it is dangerous to unequip, i grow concerned that i may be missing out on exp. I want to know if its worth the risk to take it off or not. I'm a level 10 kabold at the moment, melee build.

You do lose xp for banished targets, but the effect is pretty minor in the long run because the xp costs required to gain a level go up exponentially. Of more concern should be the tendency of distortion to blink nasty bruisers behind you in your corridor, so you get sandwiched. If you can handle that, distortion is a very high-damage brand on any fast weapon.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Daydreamer

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 01:11

Is there any command to activate the portal created by 'Passage of Golubria' while standing over it? I have tried '<' and '>' but they don't work. Otherwise using several portals in cascade seems clumsy: You have to move to an adjacent square and then step into the portal.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 02:56

KoboldLord wrote:You do lose xp for banished targets, but the effect is pretty minor in the long run because the xp costs required to gain a level go up exponentially. Of more concern should be the tendency of distortion to blink nasty bruisers behind you in your corridor, so you get sandwiched. If you can handle that, distortion is a very high-damage brand on any fast weapon.

I know you lose exp from targets banished by the Lugonu ability, but I think you might actually get at least some of it when you use distortion. I'm pretty sure I've leveled up several times banishing uniques with a distortion weapon. I could be mistaken of course but I've had it happen (or thought it happened) enough to where I questioned whether it was a bug or you are actually supposed to get the exp (.9).

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 10:00

Does a penalty to accuracy apply to your spells, or only to physical melee and ranged attacks? (I'm trying to decide whether my spellcaster should wear a ring with {Wiz rC+ Acc-4}.)
Victories: DrEE (3), GrFi (3), MiBe (6), MuFE (15), MfGl (4), DDFi (4)

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 10:26

Yes, it affects anything that can miss.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 11:27

No it doesn't. Amulet of inaccuracy does, negative slaying or artifact -acc does not affect spells and abilities.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 11:53

Running a Troll Berserker, going unarmed.
Just found a one handed obsidian axe (dam rating 14, delay 160%) +12,+15 with properties Sinv, +3 str, Lev, and curse

Given it's got the recurring curse property (and I currently have no remove curse scrolls to even try it) ... I take it I'm as well sticking with unarmed as at some point my unarmed skill will still out damage this?? My unarmed currently level 10, axe skill 0 (zero). Or do I train up a low level of axes, Wield this, and then keep training unarmed and swap back to unarmed later (assuming I have a scroll of remove curse at that point!)

Tx for any advice :)
3-5 rune wins: NaMo of Chei, SpEn of Ash, MiBe, VsBe. 15 rune win: DeFe of Vehumet

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 12:08

1) Troll unarmed still wins.

2) That axe is an infamous unrandart. Search around for details, but the word "deathtrap" comes up a lot ;)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 12:14

smite: any defense against this thing at all? 90% of my troubles right now after getting a character strong is a few priests standing in the back of a fight where I can't reach them and its impossible or highly impractical to run, but fighting causes me to get most turns at least 1 smiting for a good chunk of my life.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 12:30

There is no defense. The short answer is, don't get in those situations. "Impossible or highly impractical to run" is mostly a matter of preparation and awareness.

If you see an orc, assume it's not alone, and manage your escape routes with an eye to line of sight - if the priest can't see you, it can't smite you. Lure them into corridors and, particularly, around corners.

"Never go charging into battle as soon as you see X" is a good rule for Crawl success, for many (many) values of X. There are a few monsters with smitey attacks later, and the skills you learn fighting orc priests will stand you in good stead.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 12:31

galdon wrote:smite: any defense against this thing at all? 90% of my troubles right now after getting a character strong is a few priests standing in the back of a fight where I can't reach them and its impossible or highly impractical to run, but fighting causes me to get most turns at least 1 smiting for a good chunk of my life.

If you see two Orc Priests (or any smiter, really), run. Get out of vision. Smiting does not rely on line of sight but they DO need to be able to at least see you.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 12:41

when i say impossible or impractical to run, its not due to unpreparedness; its due to their unique attack type. if they are on the field they get a chance to smite, and no matter how fast a race I run (doing Kobold at the moment) I'm ALWAYS so slow everything gets to take a movie, then an attack action every round. so running wouldn't stop smiting. I'm beginning to think I'm cursed and won't even be able to outrun things if I rolled a spriggan.. >__>

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 14:55

galdon wrote:when i say impossible or impractical to run, its not due to unpreparedness; its due to their unique attack type. if they are on the field they get a chance to smite, and no matter how fast a race I run (doing Kobold at the moment) I'm ALWAYS so slow everything gets to take a movie, then an attack action every round. so running wouldn't stop smiting. I'm beginning to think I'm cursed and won't even be able to outrun things if I rolled a spriggan.. >__>

This is EXACTLY the type of situation I meant in the other thread when I said there are times when you don't want to run. If you can't outrun something, don't try. Once you hit the levels where orc priests show up, you need to be wary of every orc, even the ones that look like they're alone. Lure them, fall back to corners where you can break LOS easily, etc. BTW, if you step around a corner, the priests often won't instantly follow you. They're hoping that they can hang out several squares away, and that you'll be dumb enough to let them get in multiple smite attacks as you charge.

But once you've got an orc priest or two smiting you and there's nowhere to go, that's when you need to stand your ground. Charge them. Use potions or wands if you can. If you want to escape, you can use teleport or blink, but otherwise, you have better odds if you attack then if you run. If you die, at least you gave yourself the best odds you could.

Success as a fighter is all about how you use space.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 15:19

galdon wrote:when i say impossible or impractical to run, its not due to unpreparedness

No, really, it is. You just don't know it yet! But some explanation is in order - there's no point in just saying "you're doing it wrong" and leaving you to wonder.

1. Unless you're playing a Naga or worshipping Chei, then you move at the same speed as an orc priest. And if they're moving to catch up to you, they can't smite.

2. So unless you open a door to a room full of them or walk downstairs and immediately see three (does happen, but it's rare[1]), the first time you encounter an OP he will be on the edge of your LOS (line of sight). This gives you the chance to do the right thing - ie., make sure he's not in LOS on the next turn.

3. If you are fighting in an area where an orc priest might walk around a corner, leaving you some distance to walk before getting out of its sight, then it can certainly kill you. So... don't do that. Before getting into a battle - especially with orcs - make sure you're in a place you can break LOS in a single turn. This generally means in a corridor, and/or next to a corner. In general, never ever fight in open spaces[2].

3a. Try not to fight where something can enter LOS, but you can't leave in a single turn. So if you break LOS by going round a corner and end up in a long corridor, don't just sit there. Move. If the next thing around the corner is the priest you were running from, you're boned - you're going to be smiteable until you can run all the way down it, so you'd better get started.

3b. This approach will also protect you from orc wizards (actually more dangerous IMO), centaurs, annoying spellcasting uniques, etc. It's an important tactic.

4. Sometimes, stuff happens. It's possible to play in such a way that you don't get into orc priest trouble, but sometimes you will slip up. If you do, it's not a complete disaster as long as you recognise you've stuffed up early enough. Scrolls of blinking are the best way out, but scrolls of teleport can help, and scrolls of fog or clouds of steam will also cover your escape.

5. Some characters are good at first strike. 0.10 stalkers, wizards and venom mages all come with an early ranged confusion attack, and in 0.9, transmuters have it too. If you really can't help yourself from fighting everything you see, whack the priests and wizards with it and then assault them. Or, failing that, confuse their friends so they get in the way while you scarper.

I like priests. Like a few other classic monsters (slime creatures, centaurs, blink frogs, catoblepaseses) they force you to completely change the way you go about battles just by a simple mechanic. But you'll figure them out :)

[1] Nowhere near as often as posts on this forum make out. "I got one-shotted by X without any chance to move" quite often translates as "I failed to notice X was in a position to kill me and I took one move too many, and now I feel hard done by". Lest I sound sanctimonious, I have done this too :oops:

[2] there are times when this rule breaks down, but by then, orc priests are not a threat.

For this message the author joellercoaster has received thanks: 2
dolphin, MyOtheHedgeFox

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 15:57

Well see, when i say impractical/impossible to run; I mean situations more like:

coming off the tail end of a berserk and a new group of orcs show up and I'm slowed so I can't run without everything getting free hits. alternatively just plain being slower than orcs.
Emergency teleport landed me into the mess.
Climbed stairs to escape something nasty to find orcs waiting for me; alternatively falling down a pit trap into the orcs.

situations where bad luck has more control over entering the situation than actions. I know better than to actually approach an army of orcs and let the priests get close.
Last edited by galdon on Saturday, 5th November 2011, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 16:03

Berserking near unexplored territory is a mistake. If you find something that you would prefer to kill while berserk, lure it towards a safe zone.

Emergency teleports are attempts to recover from a mistake. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but the mistake was nevertheless made. You should never pick a risky fight with the blithe assumption that a scroll of teleport will save you anyway.

Never flee through a stairwell or hatch into unexplored territory.

MyOtheHedgeFox

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 16:19

KoboldLord wrote:Berserking near unexplored territory is a mistake. If you find something that you would prefer to kill while berserk, lure it towards a safe zone.

Emergency teleports are attempts to recover from a mistake. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but the mistake was nevertheless made. You should never pick a risky fight with the blithe assumption that a scroll of teleport will save you anyway.

Never flee through a stairwell or hatch into unexplored territory.

Have you SEEN the orc respawn rates in this new version? o.o; Earlier this morning I climbed into a new floor and fought off the orcs near the entrance, explored and found that it was just a tiny room barely large enough to let the entrance leave my field of vision by about 4-5 tiles, and walked back to the entrance and a fresh army had respawned in the few turns it took to look at the other side of the room and come back. They will come from anywhere, explored or not.

For teleports; sometimes it might be from a mistake; other times its from a named enemy faster than me wandering in when I'm engaged with something else, taking a gamble on landing somewhere nicer when i fall into a pit, or opening a door to find the contents of said room to be too much to fight and too fast to flee.

as for fleeing downstairs; normally i don't but sometimes you have to. Usually reserved for when something that can kill me in 1-2 hits happened to be around a corner and I can't reach the up stairs safely, or is too fast and would reach me before i could reach up stairs.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 17:41

Whip of Electricity, or Artifact Whip with Lashing, res magic, and +3 dex? It also has rPois, but my armor currently also has that.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 18:23

galdon wrote:Have you SEEN the orc respawn rates in this new version? o.o; Earlier this morning I climbed into a new floor and fought off the orcs near the entrance, explored and found that it was just a tiny room barely large enough to let the entrance leave my field of vision by about 4-5 tiles, and walked back to the entrance and a fresh army had respawned in the few turns it took to look at the other side of the room and come back. They will come from anywhere, explored or not.

You should have rested off berserk on the stairwell before you checked the rest of the room. Monsters are specifically likely to spawn from stairwells, and an orc pack will contain multiple members, so there's nothing unusual going on here.

galdon wrote:For teleports; sometimes it might be from a mistake; other times its from a named enemy faster than me

There are no uniques with speed greater than the player that spawn before you have access to Lair and Orc, and after Lair and Orc you should have a more useful toolkit for them.

galdon wrote:wandering in when I'm engaged with something else,

Lure that 'something else' toward safe territory so you don't have to deal with wanderers. Also, train stealth so you don't wake things up and make them start wandering.

galdon wrote:taking a gamble on landing somewhere nicer when i fall into a pit,

Train traps skill? You don't need that many levels to minimize the chances of hitting an undetected shaft trap, although admittedly a vigorous shafting is one of the most dangerous situations possible in the early game.

galdon wrote:or opening a door to find the contents of said room to be too much to fight and too fast to flee.

Try closing the door if you're facing fast animals like killer bees or snakes, and no humanoids except centaurs and spriggans run faster than you.

galdon wrote:as for fleeing downstairs; normally i don't but sometimes you have to. Usually reserved for when something that can kill me in 1-2 hits happened to be around a corner and I can't reach the up stairs safely, or is too fast and would reach me before i could reach up stairs.

Never allow yourself to be in a position where you can encounter an ogre or giant type of monster and have it block access to your safe area. And again, there isn't actually all that much that is faster than you. The overwhelming majority of monsters, particularly in the early game, are exactly as fast as you.

Zelkelion wrote:Whip of Electricity, or Artifact Whip with Lashing, res magic, and +3 dex? It also has rPois, but my armor currently also has that.

If you're actually planning to hit something with your weapon, the electrocution brand on a fast weapon is better than almost everything. If you're a caster, a useful resistance is better than almost everything. Do not compromise your weapon's primary function (damage) unless you have an alternative that allows you to forgo it entirely if need be.

Zelkelion

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 18:30

How much does Fighting influence hit point growth as of Trunk? Is it still worth it to get a few levels in there? About how many levels should I aim for?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 19:32

Okay, there's ONE. But Prince Ribbit blinks around, frequently away from you. He is not difficult to run away from unless he spawns with his pack, which only happens if he spawns particularly deep.

Zelkelion: Fighting hit points are proportional to your character level, so at some point it will always be worthwhile to pick up lower skill levels. Early on, you're picking up individual hit points with each level, though, so unless you also want the melee accuracy bonus from fighting skill it probably shouldn't be a primary skill. There are no benchmarks, really, but it's a worthwhile skill to absorb extra xp when your offense is currently satisfactory.

cjo

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 19:38

Galdon, I think the advice you're getting is in response to the claim that you are dying this way on a regular basis. Of course it is going to happen once in a while. No one has the perfect answer to every bad luck situation. If you are dying the same way over and over, it's time to switch up tactics. If you're dying to orc priests or fast enemies once in a while, that's just the game. Gotta roll with the punches!

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 6th November 2011, 00:50

joellercoaster wrote:There is no defense [against smiting].

Being a deep dwarf helps. Not relevant for most races though.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 01:20

Is Fedhas OK with vampiric weapons? The various sources don't mention it, but I don't feel like experimenting with penace.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 08:36

If he doesn't like them, they will be red.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 10:57

Demonspawns can join Fedhas so he's obviously a Neutral god. After all, in RPGs most (if not all) gods of nature and the characters worshipping them are of Neutral alignment.
He doesn't accept the undead though, as far as I'm concerned, since he claims that all that is dead must return to the earth.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 8th November 2011, 02:14

I'm at the end of a labyrinth, but it appears that there are teleportation traps next to the exit/minotaur vault. will they send me somewhere random, or take me inside?
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice