The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 12:22

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

a) Let's say I'm travelling to something - stairs, or a stash - and get interrupted by a monster. I fight it, and afterwards I want to resume travel. Is there an wasy way to do that, or do I have to find the target location again?

b) In console mode, looking at the map with X lets you see a quick summary of stairs and other features found ('<<<>>>_' etc.). is there an equivalent for tiles?

Thanks.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 12:29

a) Let's say I'm travelling to something - stairs, or a stash - and get interrupted by a monster. I fight it, and afterwards I want to resume travel. Is there an wasy way to do that, or do I have to find the target location again?

Press Ctrl+G.

For this message the author pratamawirya has received thanks:
rchandra

Eringya's Employee

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 12:37

Does a transmuter keep the combat bonuses of all their mutations in an alternate form? I've been wondering if a TrTm in Dragon Form would do extra damage due to claws 3 mutation.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 13:54

I thought banishing opponents was not supposed to grant ANY exp? I just leveled up on a banish for sure. Nothing else in the vicinity died, I had no minions or poison. Unless one of the orcs speared another (throwing) AND i missed the message. Thats the only thing I can think of. I'm in .9

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 16:02

It's changed - you now get a fraction of the monster XP, depending on how much damage you'd done to it before it got banished.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 16:19

Does a transmuter keep the combat bonuses of all their mutations in an alternate form? I've been wondering if a TrTm in Dragon Form would do extra damage due to claws 3 mutation.

I don't think so. To my knowlege, only Statue form lets you keep your unarmed mutations and auxiliary attacks (it "just" adds 50% damage) .

On an unrelated note : does the Vestibule of Hell spawn monsters on you (as of 0.9), or is that only in the branches ?
Last edited by A spy on Saturday, 8th October 2011, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author A spy has received thanks:
TehDruid

Eringya's Employee

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 17:32

A spy wrote:

I don't think so. To my knowlege, only Statue form lets you keep your unarmed mutations and auxiliary attacks (it "just" adds 50% damage) .

Well, that's what I thought, can somebody who's sure enlighten us though? :D Do you keep any scales mutation (innate or acquired) btw?
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 18:18

What is the movement delay of a character with Swiftness, Flight, Boots of Running, and Haste? (starting from normal speed) I should also mention that I'm in .9, so Swiftness+Flight synergy still works.

Also, would said character be able to outrun a Spriggan?
Last edited by Blade on Saturday, 8th October 2011, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 18:23

For a DDAk going Makhleb, I should pump int right? Although I was thinking maybe wearing plate, so str until plate is wearable THEN int? I like the idea of a heavy armored "caster" using inv/evo instead of spellcasting.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 21:33

AtT wrote:For a DDAk going Makhleb, I should pump int right? Although I was thinking maybe wearing plate, so str until plate is wearable THEN int? I like the idea of a heavy armored "caster" using inv/evo instead of spellcasting.

Armor doesn't affect your Invocations or Evocations at all, so that part shouldn't be a problem. If you're not casting spells, though, Int is not so important so I'd pick another stat.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 21:58

Happy Corner wrote:
AtT wrote:For a DDAk going Makhleb, I should pump int right? Although I was thinking maybe wearing plate, so str until plate is wearable THEN int? I like the idea of a heavy armored "caster" using inv/evo instead of spellcasting.

Armor doesn't affect your Invocations or Evocations at all, so that part shouldn't be a problem. If you're not casting spells, though, Int is not so important so I'd pick another stat.

I put some in str, but then needed to replace some int from healing myself with the wand until makhleb got going. Very interesting character i'll post a CiP. Now I'm going to go for dex because some of the artifacts I found rape my accuracy.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 22:03

I got a +2 GDA on level 2 of the dungeon on my TrBe, I wonder what stats I should raise on level up and what skills I should train, suggestions?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 8th October 2011, 23:39

What is the movement delay of a character with Swiftness, Flight, Boots of Running, and Haste? (starting from normal speed) I should also mention that I'm in .9, so Swiftness+Flight synergy still works.

Before 0.10, Swiftness + Flight give you Spriggan speed, so Boots of Running aren't needed. With Haste added, yeah, you can try to outrun a Spriggan.

I got a +2 GDA on level 2 of the dungeon on my TrBe, I wonder what stats I should raise on level up and what skills I should train, suggestions?

You need at least 27 STR to wear it with no penalty, so yeah... raise your STR. And of course train your Armour.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 04:41

Can player ghosts banish you?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 05:12

AtT wrote:Can player ghosts banish you?

There's no way to die with Banishment as a player spell after it was removed, and like other divine abilities Lugonu's abilities don't work as a player ghost, but if the player character died with a distortion weapon the ghost's attacks will still be distortion-branded.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 13:58

KoboldLord wrote:
AtT wrote:Can player ghosts banish you?

There's no way to die with Banishment as a player spell after it was removed, and like other divine abilities Lugonu's abilities don't work as a player ghost, but if the player character died with a distortion weapon the ghost's attacks will still be distortion-branded.

Ok good. I didn't have one :D and THANK LUGONU because I ended up playing a AK from frustration of being banished. Could have been a vicious cycle. It is blinking though a lot. I don't remember having that ability except through lugonu.

EDIT: Whoops that was a high lvl conjurer with the same name as my abyssal knights heh. Dispelled none the less

Sewers Scotsman

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 18:06

I'm a stabby SpEn with Hexes and some Earth Magic. Is the damage penalty on this going to make much difference to me, i.e. is it worth wearing?

the +2 robe of Fedhas' Delight {rElec rPois Dam-2}

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 9th October 2011, 21:09

How can I make my allies with a HOPr pick up whatever they want permanently (until I turn it off) It keeps resetting to "only what is dropped by allies" automatically

and does death channel also work for my allies kills? Undead or summoned?

and for haunt, "Alternatively, worshippers of Kikubaaqudgha have a chance to avoid being diseased, with full protection at max piety." Does this mean just ****** or literally 200 points (can you even check that?)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 10th October 2011, 12:03

Asidonhopo wrote:I got a +2 GDA on level 2 of the dungeon on my TrBe, I wonder what stats I should raise on level up and what skills I should train, suggestions?

Bummer, man. You realize now that you will be ganked by 3 orc priests on D:4, just moments after you barely (and mastefully) manage to best Sigmund in battle. Sucks, but that's whats going to happen.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 02:01

pratamawirya wrote:

Before 0.10, Swiftness + Flight give you Spriggan speed, so Boots of Running aren't needed. With Haste added, yeah, you can try to outrun a Spriggan.

After said character died, I started getting curious about just how fast he had been, so I whipped up a test in wizmode and found that I was outrunning an unhasted executioner. Even when it cast Haste, it was only getting an extra action (hit or spell) every two or three turns.

Makes me even more embarrassed to have lost him.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 13:53

Confidence Interval wrote:I'm a stabby SpEn with Hexes and some Earth Magic. Is the damage penalty on this going to make much difference to me, i.e. is it worth wearing?

As long as you stick with a short blade and have decent Stabbing, the base damage reduction won't make a huge difference -- the multipliers will more than make up for it. Go for it.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks:
Confidence Interval

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2011, 13:56

Stormfox wrote:
Confidence Interval wrote:I'm a stabby SpEn with Hexes and some Earth Magic. Is the damage penalty on this going to make much difference to me, i.e. is it worth wearing?

As long as you stick with a short blade and have decent Stabbing, the base damage reduction won't make a huge difference -- the multipliers will more than make up for it. Go for it.

-2 might not be major for stabbing, but if you have to fight an enemy outright that -2 can really hurt a short blade.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

For this message the author bobross419 has received thanks: 2
Confidence Interval, Stormfox

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 05:25

What brand would be more effective against the rune guardians in Hell and Pan: antimagic or vorpal?
Mangled by Mennas

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 08:37

Antimagic.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

For this message the author joellercoaster has received thanks:
starless

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 13:39

bobross419 wrote:-2 might not be major for stabbing, but if you have to fight an enemy outright that -2 can really hurt a short blade.

True, that. Of course, I'm one of those folks who -- when playing a stabby type -- also trains a big weapon for use when I have to get into a "fair" fight. Most of my SpEn builds end up packing falchions.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

For this message the author Stormfox has received thanks:
Confidence Interval

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 18:28

1) If I get caught in a thrown net while levitating or flying in bat form over deep water/lava - would I die?

2) Most weapon brands don't work against every enemy (holy/fire/freezing/pain/...) because of resistances/monster types. Vorpal brand works always - does it compare in damage output?

For this message the author ilpalazzo has received thanks:
Burningled

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 12th October 2011, 23:09

ilpalazzo wrote:1) If I get caught in a thrown net while levitating or flying in bat form over deep water/lava - would I die?

2) Most weapon brands don't work against every enemy (holy/fire/freezing/pain/...) because of resistances/monster types. Vorpal brand works always - does it compare in damage output?

Meant to quote, not thank.

1) No idea

2)No, but it is irresistible. However, unless you're facing an enemy with maximum fire/cold resist, those generally do more damage than vorpal does, and electricty does a nice amount of flat damage not resisted by too many enemies.

My question: I just performed a miscast (via the Wild Magic card) which opened up a portal "to an otherworldly place" just described as "a portal to somewhere". I -assume- this means the Abyss, but I wanted to check in to make sure I wasn't passing up a bazaar or something. I can't find anything about it on the wiki, and "a portal to somewhere" doesn't get me anything from Henzell's learndb.

Edit: Nevermind, what it does is start sprouting painful eldritch tentacles. Still not entirely clear what it was, but I'm 100% sure it's "stay the fuck away" material now.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 00:25

Burningled wrote:2)No, but it is irresistible. However, unless you're facing an enemy with maximum fire/cold resist, those generally do more damage than vorpal does, and electricty does a nice amount of flat damage not resisted by too many enemies.

My question: I just performed a miscast (via the Wild Magic card) which opened up a portal "to an otherworldly place" just described as "a portal to somewhere". I -assume- this means the Abyss, but I wanted to check in to make sure I wasn't passing up a bazaar or something. I can't find anything about it on the wiki, and "a portal to somewhere" doesn't get me anything from Henzell's learndb.

Edit: Nevermind, what it does is start sprouting painful eldritch tentacles. Still not entirely clear what it was, but I'm 100% sure it's "stay the fuck away" material now.

2) Does AC affect vorpal?

Regarding edlritch. Not much use now, but might help in the future - Eldritch tentacles are easy kills for haunt spam.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 00:39

How can you get through a translucent stone wall into a Ziggurat (excluding Earth Elementalist spells / Lugonu)? Is it possible to cTele (not Controlled Blink, which obviously doesn't work) into it?

As a related question, how many levels is it relatively safe to go through when one has Fire Storm (but not that much else) available? I'm thinking 10 is a pretty good bet, but I'd like to make sure.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 00:45

On a beefy wiz-mode character I created I got to 10-12 with just Firestorm, after that things got really scary. I made it to 7 with my Dragon/Haunt summoner before I thought I was in over my head. From my two experiences in Zigs I'd say that you'll be able to figure out a level or two in advance before you are too far in over your head to stop.

Do disintegration wands work on Trans Stone Wall?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 01:18

bobross419 wrote:Do disintegration wands work on Trans Stone Wall?

Nope. That was my second thought (my first thought was to optimistically cast Controlled Blink)

edit: Okay, Control Teleport + Scroll of Teleportation works. Easy enough.
Last edited by Blade on Thursday, 13th October 2011, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 02:41

The exit to a labyrinth is supposed to be kind of near the minotaur right? Found and killed him but every direction I check is a dead end or leads off pretty far away into the metal/rock part. I've already checked each way as far as I can go without not being able to find my way back to the minotaur spot.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 03:47

I've never seen it away from the minotaur.

I'd suggest backing up a save... not for cheating, but for posting up on mantis just in case its a bug.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 05:37

The exit is where the doors and fountains are. Keep searching: after a few dozens of moves it will open a path for your adventurer.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 11:10

The minotaur always spawns on top of the exit with a pile of loot, but can move anywhere after that point, potentially after picking up some of the stuff. It's possible that the exit is simply hidden under the pile of remaining leftover loot that neither you nor the minotaur wanted. You can't see the escape hatch glyph if there's an item on top. It can also be possible that the minotaur hit a teleport trap and ended up somewhere nowhere near the end vault, and you stumbled upon it by random chance. We'd have to see a screenshot to be sure.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
AtT

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 13:41

I thought it was a "portal" exit which requires the ">" key to exit. I looked more closely and found it was an escape hatch "<" under the loot.

Also if I'm playing a MuSu of Sifshould I train ice magic a little when I'm using a lot of ice beasts? I can cast the spell fine at "Great" but I heard at higher power you can summon 2 at a time? And I know they will benefit from ice training but I don't know how much. (Could I summon ice elementals out of ice beasts later??) I have a "book of clouds" but didn't think it would be worth it to go for ice / poison cloud at least not on a mummy. I usually just stick to summoning until i get access to haunt and go necro/summon (I have the Necrominowhatevericon) but idk..

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 13:55

You cannot make ice elementals out of ice beasts.
Freezing cloud is quite powerful, though Shadow Creatures might help you much more in the very end of your journey.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 13:59

AtT wrote:I thought it was a "portal" exit which requires the ">" key to exit. I looked more closely and found it was an escape hatch "<" under the loot.

Also if I'm playing a MuSu of Sifshould I train ice magic a little when I'm using a lot of ice beasts? I can cast the spell fine at "Great" but I heard at higher power you can summon 2 at a time? And I know they will benefit from ice training but I don't know how much. (Could I summon ice elementals out of ice beasts later??) I have a "book of clouds" but didn't think it would be worth it to go for ice / poison cloud at least not on a mummy. I usually just stick to summoning until i get access to haunt and go necro/summon (I have the Necrominowhatevericon) but idk..

If you are pushing for Haunt I'd say forgo the Ice/Air for now. By the time you are ready for Haunt, Poison Cloud/Ice Cloud will likely be castable off of Spellcasting alone and can definitely be a boon to a mummy (innate resistances to both spells). Haunt+Poison Cloud has great synergy against monsters affected by poison as your haunts are immune - This will help offset some of XP 'lost' due to playing a summoner. Ice Cloud is similar in nature with most of your haunts having some rC.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 14:15

Last round I used summon demon and haunt mostly. This time I got stealth to 8 so I don't get insta banished, but was thinking of maybe picking up a cloud or two :o. Common demons are Poison+ and Cold+ and ice beasts are even Poison+ and Cold+++

or summon scorpions? The new spammals you say? But as a hungerless channeling mummy I can spam whatever the hell I want to spam, see? I need the spaces around me for valuable bigger summons methinks. Might forgo air completely and tack on 5 lvls of earth for earth elementals o.o

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 14:38

1) Do bloodstains on a Labyrinth mean anything?
2) Is the relationship between base and enchantment accuracy modifications similar than the one with weapon enchantment and base damage?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 19:40

What the shit? I just gained the Self-Restoration ability on my MuSu of Sif upon hitting lvl 13..? Is that normally part of the mummy lifespan that's not mentioned in the wiki that I have never noticed? I got the necro bonus as expected but.. what?

It says I can trade a point of permanent MP to cure damage to str/dex/int or a huge amount of rot.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 19:59

AtT wrote:What the shit? I just gained the Self-Restoration ability on my MuSu of Sif upon hitting lvl 13..? Is that normally part of the mummy lifespan that's not mentioned in the wiki that I have never noticed? I got the necro bonus as expected but.. what?

It says I can trade a point of permanent MP to cure damage to str/dex/int or a huge amount of rot.

That's standard, though I don't know since how long, .9 I think.

For this message the author Burningled has received thanks:
AtT

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 20:22

AtT wrote:What the shit? I just gained the Self-Restoration ability on my MuSu of Sif upon hitting lvl 13..? Is that normally part of the mummy lifespan that's not mentioned in the wiki that I have never noticed? I got the necro bonus as expected but.. what?

Spend less time learning Korean and more time paying attention to the engrish :P

The Wiki wrote:Mummies are incapable of drinking potions of any kind. They can cure rot only with wands of healing (when on full health) or by sacrificing 1 permanent MP at 13 level or higher.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 20:24

If a jelly splits, do you get full exp for both?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th October 2011, 23:55

cerebovssquire wrote:1) Do bloodstains on a Labyrinth mean anything?

They're there for flavor, and they will stay in the same place even if the route to the end vault changes. If you get teleported somehow, you may be able to recognize where you've been because there are fewer bloodstains than there are nondescript sections of corridor.

cerebovssquire wrote:2) Is the relationship between base and enchantment accuracy modifications similar than the one with weapon enchantment and base damage?

The difference is much less important, and enemy EV is less likely to scale than enemy hp anyway.

bobross13 wrote:If a jelly splits, do you get full exp for both?

Yes, but you can't scum this indefinitely because you'll run out of junk to feed it. It's faster and safer just to find new monsters.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 14th October 2011, 00:15

What are some good (3-4 hit KO) spells against Orbs of Fire?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 14th October 2011, 01:38

bobross419 wrote:

Spend less time learning Korean and more time paying attention to the engrish :P

The Wiki wrote:Mummies are incapable of drinking potions of any kind. They can cure rot only with wands of healing (when on full health) or by sacrificing 1 permanent MP at 13 level or higher.

.......bollocks.....

is it a good idea to train SP (only) on a DE/SE EE until stone arrow is castable? then turn it off and get the other skills up (ie earth stealth dodge)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 14th October 2011, 02:12

Blade wrote:What are some good (3-4 hit KO) spells against Orbs of Fire?

Uh, assuming you've maxed out all three relevant skills, have a good int score, and are wielding a staff of cold, Ice Storm will just about do that. Probably Fire Storm and Crystal Spear, too, but you'll need archmagi robes as well as the appropriate staff. Assuming Crystal Spear doesn't miss, of course.

It isn't practical to expect to be able to roll over orbs of fire with barely half a bar of mana. They're one of the toughest monsters in the game. The best you can reasonably hope for is to chip them down while they're blasting you. Bring a way to recover mp, because they love hanging on with a sliver of red health when you cast the last spell you have mp for.

AtT wrote:is it a good idea to train SP (only) on a DE/SE EE until stone arrow is castable? then turn it off and get the other skills up (ie earth stealth dodge)

Is SP an abbreviation for spellcasting?

Anyway, no. Sandblast is a fairly powerful starting spell even if you don't find any more rocks, but it needs earth magic to get a decent spell power. And Stone Arrow is high enough in level that trying to cast it off raw spellcasting alone is basically doomed. It's worth turning off stealth and dodge to get Stone Arrow and Rapid Deconstruction online, but the typical earth elementalist shouldn't be turning off earth magic until mid-Lair or so. Conjurations is less valuable for a sludge elf because their aptitude isn't so good, but it's still worth picking up low levels as they become cheap.

Spellcasting is good for a lot of things, but ultimately you need high spell power much faster than spellcasting alone can give you.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
AtT

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 14th October 2011, 05:15

KoboldLord wrote:
Blade wrote:What are some good (3-4 hit KO) spells against Orbs of Fire?

Uh, assuming you've maxed out all three relevant skills, have a good int score, and are wielding a staff of cold, Ice Storm will just about do that. Probably Fire Storm and Crystal Spear, too, but you'll need archmagi robes as well as the appropriate staff. Assuming Crystal Spear doesn't miss, of course.

It isn't practical to expect to be able to roll over orbs of fire with barely half a bar of mana. They're one of the toughest monsters in the game. The best you can reasonably hope for is to chip them down while they're blasting you. Bring a way to recover mp, because they love hanging on with a sliver of red health when you cast the last spell you have mp for.

A herd of pre-summoned dragons shuts down OoF pretty well, and everything else for that matter.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 14th October 2011, 09:03

Here's my question:

Does the Robe of Magi and enhancer staves/rings improve spell power beyond the max ###s listed?
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice