The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 21:12

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

Blade wrote:What's the best way to take out an orc high priest when playing a lv.13 SpEn?

It's risky, but you can also try to enslave them. Then you can A) send it to fight something else (including anything it summoned before you charmed it) and hope it gets killed, B) try to get it to summon things while charmed (which will stay friendly) and hope they kill it once enslavement wears off, or C) lead it somewhere out of the way, or use the extra turns to prepare to fight it.

Running away is a good idea too though.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 21:26

Can anybody tell me what just happened? Because I'm XL 13 and in the Lair and I don't think this is supposed to happen.
Attachments
dudewhat.png
dudewhat.png (142.22 KiB) Viewed 10000 times

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 21:37

Did you convert your save from an earlier (pre 0.9) version of the game? 0.9 did away with experience pools, so if you had a previous character, the next monster you kill spends all your old XP pool at once.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 22:04

Nope, this is strictly a 0.9 game.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 22:13

Yeah, I'm going to guess it's a bug, then. Unless there's some massive skill-boosting perk of Ashenzari (available at mid-levels)...

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 24th September 2011, 22:16

What should I do, then? This is pretty awesome, but continuing with this character would probably be considered cheating. I was doing so well, too!

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 01:23

inkydood wrote:What should I do, then? This is pretty awesome, but continuing with this character would probably be considered cheating. I was doing so well, too!

If its the result of a bug that was not exploited then it shouldn't be considered cheating. Bugs happen. Some bugs might wipe your character, this bug just happened to give you a whole bunch of skills. If you actively tried to exploit the bug then it should be considered cheating, but if it just happened I'd just smile and proceed...

...besides, you're going to die on the next level down anyways.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

For this message the author bobross419 has received thanks:
inkydood

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 01:30

Playing Crawl is supposed to be fun. If something awesome happens because of a bug, there's nothing wrong with just going with it and enjoying it. You might even learn stuff that will be useful for future characters.

I just wouldn't make a YAVP for this one, is all. ;)

For this message the author Happy Corner has received thanks:
inkydood

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 02:31

Does "melded" armour in Statue Form prevent them from being corroded by acid?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 02:53

hxy wrote:Does "melded" armour in Statue Form prevent them from being corroded by acid?

Armor melded by forms will not be corroded, but it also doesn't reduce the acid damage you take like it normally does. Statue Form doesn't meld all your slots, though, so the ones that it doesn't meld will work to protect you and possibly be corroded as they normally would.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
hxy

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 22:41

Should TSO give piety for killing enemies that cast poison arrow? He doesn't give piety for Naga Mages, which surprises me.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 23:09

smock wrote:Should TSO give piety for killing enemies that cast poison arrow? He doesn't give piety for Naga Mages, which surprises me.

TSO does not care about other people being dishonorable, the code of conduct is only for you. You have a higher standard to uphold. Her dislike of demonic and undead monsters is a separate issue. You owe the same basic respect toward chivalry and noble conduct towards all living sentients. Only the darkest of magic will attract her ire, and even the worst sinners should be afforded the chance to repent. Not that they ever do, at least unless they're PCs.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 00:18

Got it. Demonology is vile and dark, so Demonologists grant piety. Poisoning is bad enough to put you into penance but not so bad that TSO rewards the killing of monsters that use poison magic.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 00:28

I'm wondering why the Rod Of Demonology itself is red for TSO. It has Abjuration on it which I would think TSO likes, understandably the other two spells aren't so TSO friendly, but I would think that TSO would enjoy a crawler turning such an evil weapon against summoned demons through Abjuration.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 03:42

bobross419 wrote:I'm wondering why the Rod Of Demonology itself is red for TSO. It has Abjuration on it which I would think TSO likes, understandably the other two spells aren't so TSO friendly, but I would think that TSO would enjoy a crawler turning such an evil weapon against summoned demons through Abjuration.

I just tested in wizmode to confirm, so I assure you that TSO has absolutely no problem with you evoking Abjuration from a rod of demonology. The rod gets marked with the dangerous color if any of its functions are dangerous. Basically, the warning means "Be careful with this, mortal!" rather than "Don't touch this for any reason, mortal!" If you examine the rod to see its list of functions, Abjuration will be listed in normal, non-dangerous coloring and is perfectly permissible to use.

The same applies to other multi-function items and god conducts. Chei doesn't care if you use a randart with +Rage as long as you don't actually evoke it for rage, for instance, but will warn you that the randart is potentially troublesome by coloring it. You can also wield weapons with forbidden brands for their resistances without getting punished, although a single errant tap of the arrow keys while in melee will count as an intentional attack with the forbidden brand and cause penance.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 04:25

Thanks for the info KL, its much appreciated. I was hesitant to test equip it and risk the piety loss and for some reason the wizmode flag didn't want to work on my last compile.

Another question thats completely unrelated...

Would you risk 5 blink scrolls on a Treasure Trove? I'm very disinclined to do this myself due to the mana free controlled blink that they offer. Not that I have 5 just laying around anyways.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 10:39

It's five Get Out Of Jail Free cards. I wouldn't sell these even for three same-coloured estates.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 11:22

Five scrolls of blinking are not an excessive price, but I wouldn't rush in the moment you get the fifth. Wait until you have seven or so. Earlier if you get a source of semi-controlled blinking. It depends on your particular build, too, and exactly how desperate you are for high-quality loot.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 20:56

can you fire ranged attacks when berserk, or throw?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 22:04

No.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 00:19

What does it mean when I get the message

"You hear a distant "Zot"!"

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 01:01

There are Zot traps on D:1?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 03:21

Only as part of an intentionally designed vault. They never spawn randomly until substantially deeper. There's probably a room somewhere on the level that's completely blocked off by impenetrable walls, and inside this room is a monster and a Zot trap. The function of this room and monster vault is to make that noise at random intervals, for atmosphere.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 12:11

If a kraken tentacle is next to me when I go up/down stairs, can the tentacle follow me, the whole kraken follow me or neither?

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 13:04

Jeremiah wrote:If a kraken tentacle is next to me when I go up/down stairs, can the tentacle follow me, the whole kraken follow me or neither?

neither
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 15:35

I'm a XL17 SpEn whose main way of killing things is stabbing them (often while invisible/after casting EH). I'm currently near the end of the pestilential ending of Swamp and using scrying I can see a bunch of nasty undead dragons, etc., asleep in there. I've currently no good way of dealing with lots of undead things: am I morely likely to die trying to get to this rune or trying another one (e.g. Vault 8)? (Not sure if this question can be answered without seeing character abilities.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 15:46

If you have means of semicontrolled blinking and Apportation, go for it. If not, I'd probably let it rest till later.
Did you get Swamp or Snake? Snake is rather hard on SpEn (compared to the rest of the game, at least :P) where Swamp is hilarious with Invisibility and Levitation/Flight.
Doing V 1-7 and D 1-27 is easier than going to V:8 now.

Remember, if you're not about to go to Zot, there is no "real reason" to risk anything getting the runes.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
Confidence Interval

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 15:51

cerebovssquire wrote:If you have means of semicontrolled blinking and Apportation, go for it. If not, I'd probably let it rest till later.
Did you get Swamp or Snake? Snake is rather hard on SpEn (compared to the rest of the game, at least :P) where Swamp is hilarious with Invisibility and Levitation/Flight.
Doing V 1-7 and D 1-27 is easier than going to V:8 now.

Remember, if you're not about to go to Zot, there is no "real reason" to risk anything getting the runes.

Completed Snake. Based on your comments I think I'll go back to the main dungeon (I've only gone as deep as D18) and come back when I'm feeling a bit stronger.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 19:48

Why does popping a blind tele in a branch end always result in you being dropped smack dab in the middle of the vault?

Follow up question, why does popping another blind tele in a branch end after being tele'd into the vault always move you 8 squares from where you just were?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 28th September 2011, 22:42

Do mutagenic corpses have a higher chance of positive mutations than mutation pots? The last few times I've eaten them, I've certainly gotten better mutations than with the pots, but it's likely just coincidence.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 00:45

Does the Scroll of Summoning ever summon friendly critters? Perhaps I've just had bad luck?

Also, is there somewhere I can find a general comparison of overall damaging spell strengths?

Finally, can I get the same information on spell accuracy? How is that determined? It's frustrating that even low level spells (ex: throw frost) seemingly have a good chance to just miss entirely.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 01:18

Zelkelion wrote:Does the Scroll of Summoning ever summon friendly critters? Perhaps I've just had bad luck?

Yes and Yes

Also, is there somewhere I can find a general comparison of overall damaging spell strengths

Finally, can I get the same information on spell accuracy? How is that determined? It's frustrating that even low level spells (ex: throw frost) seemingly have a good chance to just miss entirely.

You can check out the Spell lab for a lot of spell data. Not sure how in depth it goes though. https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1803

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 02:12

bobross419 wrote:Why does popping a blind tele in a branch end always result in you being dropped smack dab in the middle of the vault?

Follow up question, why does popping another blind tele in a branch end after being tele'd into the vault always move you 8 squares from where you just were?

Coincidence, sort of. Uncontrolled teleportation picks a destination at random. Open areas have a LOT more valid targets than more defensible areas like corridors, so you're more likely to end up in them. Compare a 16x16 area with a corridor going through it (16 destinations) to a 16x16 area that's in the middle of an open bubble (256 destinations). You're more likely to end up in an 8-tile radius if you teleport from the second case. Branch end vaults tend to be even larger than typical vaults, and they're often the only really large open area in the whole level. In the most severe cases, for example the Zot 5 megavault, something like three quarters of the possible teleport destinations are in that deadly branch end vault.

Blade wrote:Do mutagenic corpses have a higher chance of positive mutations than mutation pots? The last few times I've eaten them, I've certainly gotten better mutations than with the pots, but it's likely just coincidence.

Coincidence. They're exactly the same, assuming the mutagenic corpse hasn't started rotting yet. (If it's already rotten, then it's heavily likely to give you bad mutations.) You get one mutation per chunk and three per potion, though, so if you get a good mutation on that first chunk you can stop there rather than pushing your luck and getting two bad ones to go with it.

Zelkelion wrote:Does the Scroll of Summoning ever summon friendly critters? Perhaps I've just had bad luck?

The scroll of summoning always summons a small abomination. It will be friendly unless you're following a deity inimical to it. You'll never get a friendly abomination by any means if you worship TSO, Elyvilon, or Zin.

Zelkelion wrote:Also, is there somewhere I can find a general comparison of overall damaging spell strengths?

This'll probably be out of date by now, but at least it's easy to read:

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?t ... mum_damage

More usefully, you can check your spell power by pressing ! when you're in the casting menu. The more # you have, the better, and if you have some . after the # you can get more power by training your skills more or using enhancers.

Zelkelion wrote:Finally, can I get the same information on spell accuracy? How is that determined? It's frustrating that even low level spells (ex: throw frost) seemingly have a good chance to just miss entirely.

Generally speaking, spell accuracy is a function of spell power. Raise your int, train your magic skills, and use enhancers if you have one. Very few spells auto-hit.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 07:52

bobross419 wrote:Why does popping a blind tele in a branch end always result in you being dropped smack dab in the middle of the vault?

Because...
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
paplaukes

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 29th September 2011, 23:41

Does Spider form grant poison resistance? considering learning it as a Troll.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 30th September 2011, 01:04

You want ice form for that. It's also good for taking down hydras (since your claws count as a slicing weapon).

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks:
rchandra

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 30th September 2011, 11:14

Does attempting to use a god ability but failing still cost piety?

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 07:39

If a treasure trove asks for a +5 dragon armor, does it mean +5 DRAGON armor or can it be a +5 pearl/gold/steam/... dragon armor?

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 08:34

vanilla dragon armour, the others won't work.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

For this message the author absolutego has received thanks:
sirprim

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 1st October 2011, 08:56

thats life in the dungeon I guess ;)

Sewers Scotsman

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 15:38

If I get the corrupted Temple, will the overflow altars all appear in the range the Temple usually would (i.e. before D8) or could they be elsewhere?

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 15:45

Overflow altars appear between D:2 and D:9 inclusive.

For this message the author banei has received thanks:
Confidence Interval

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 16:18

Is it possible to have multiple characters on WebTiles like it is on the downloadable version?

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 16:54

You need to make multiple accounts for that.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 19:18

How exactly does throwing interact with an equipped shield? thanks..

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd October 2011, 20:50

Night2o1 wrote:How exactly does throwing interact with an equipped shield? thanks..

It doesn't, other than the minor penalty applied to all attacks if you don't have enough shield skill. You get a more serious special penalty for bows and crossbows, but slings, blowguns, and thrown weapons are compatible with shields.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 3rd October 2011, 00:15

Does slowing yourself down via potions, wands, etc. boost Chei's Slouch ability?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd October 2011, 00:37

Joehai wrote:Does slowing yourself down via potions, wands, etc. boost Chei's Slouch ability?

No. It won't affect piety gain, either.
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice