The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 13:15

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

<removed my question because I encountered YASD in the interim...>

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 13:45

Is it me or escaping Abyss has become much easier in trunk? I was cast 3 times (from xlvl 10 to 12) and finding portal took from 100 to 500 turns. Also, demons only followed me for only like 10 turns or so.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 15:31

I got banished three times in a row and had no problem escaping or finding an exit (after several turns fighting and escaping a Daeva). Didn't get the rune though.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 10th September 2011, 21:11

Is there any way to change character name after creation? I keep ending up using the wrong names on accident. Like ToiletPaper for non-Mummies and other stuff :(
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 00:56

minmay wrote:Barring manually editing your save file (not within the reach of the average player), no.

Damn... I just know my first win will be something stupid like Mr. Fluffikins the Troll Berserker. Mr. Fluffikins is supposed to be a Felid, not a Troll :(

Oh well, thanks minmay.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 04:45

Alright, I have a few questions. I almost exclusively use Demonspawn, so they are of that nature. Without further ado...

1. Can random mutations stack with your existing pre-determined Ds mutations? Ex. If you have Demonic Guardian 2, could a random mutation increase it to Demonic Guardian 3?

2. I know that Ds mutations are determined as soon as the character is created. Is there any way to see them? For instance, meddling around with the save game files?

3. Why can you not re-evoke levitation from rings and such? If you can do it with the spell and with the potion, this almost seems like a bug that should be fixed. *Sigh*

Anyway, that is all for now.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 05:49

Is the message "You hear a distant snort" supposed to indicate the distance to the entrance of the labyrinth?
I found this labyrinth entrance right within LOS of the stairs, and it's still "distant"...

Code:
 You climb downwards.
 You hear a distant snort.
_Hark! There is an entrance to a minotaur's labyrinth on this level. Find the entrance quickly before the gate is sealed!
 Found a potion of resistance, a potion of brilliance and a potion of healing.
 Found a labyrinth entrance. Found a stone staircase leading up.
_There is a stone staircase leading up here.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 06:23

I don't think so. The snort is coming from all the way deep inside the labyrinth, so it would be distant either way.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 06:25

I think the first message (the one announcing you're on a level with a Labyrinth portal) always says "distant" by default. It's only the messages AFTER that where it starts indicating how close the portal is.

I could be wrong, though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 11th September 2011, 08:11

MADDOGmjb wrote:1. Can random mutations stack with your existing pre-determined Ds mutations? Ex. If you have Demonic Guardian 2, could a random mutation increase it to Demonic Guardian 3?

I can't help you with the other two, but racial mutations are treated differently than normal mutation. You can't get your DS mutations early, you can't directly or indirectly remove them, and they block mutations that could theoretically conflict with them. Racial mutations are special, even if they happen to be statistically identical to a random mutation on another character.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 09:29

Ok, got another one. Does Condensation shield stack if you have a shield equipped? Or are they mutually exclusive?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 09:56

Exclusive. Condensation Shield automatically fails if you have a shield already equipped.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 10:53

But still uses your Shield skill.

If you want a stackable shield, ask The Shining One for help.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 14:06

Does Ashenzari's death curse deflection work in Tomb when killing Greater Mummies etc?
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 13th September 2011, 15:03

joellercoaster wrote:Does Ashenzari's death curse deflection work in Tomb when killing Greater Mummies etc?

No, it only protects from equipment cursing (to avoid scumming). Ask Kiku for a more general mummy curse protection.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 13:14

The Trowel card from legendary decks of dungeons seems to overwhelmingly give me bazaar portals. Is there some code that limits the number of other portals, or favors bazaars?

Edit - one other question (I feel rather dumb, because after reading the forums I still can't figure this out): Is the only difference between practice and focus on the skills screen the fact that focus lets you enhance the relative % of XP diverted to some skills, while practice distributes it equally?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 15:52

minstrel wrote:Edit - one other question (I feel rather dumb, because after reading the forums I still can't figure this out): Is the only difference between practice and focus on the skills screen the fact that focus lets you enhance the relative % of XP diverted to some skills, while practice distributes it equally?

Not exactly. Manual distributes equally, auto distributes based on recent skill usage. Skills focused get a higher training percentage (doubled with a minimum around 20%).
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 17:25

galehar wrote:
minstrel wrote:Not exactly. Manual distributes equally, auto distributes based on recent skill usage. Skills focused get a higher training percentage (doubled with a minimum around 20%).

Thanks, yeah I don't use auto, it was just practice vs focus I was trying to clear up. It sounds like that was pretty much my understanding: focus only differs from practice in the ability to fine tune some skills to receive a bigger share of available xp.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 22:27

Here's one that's been bugging me: It seems like armor and shields slow unarmed attacks by a function of their EV penalty. Does that mean that, once you've trained shields to completely remove the penalty, unarmed attacks don't suffer at all by the wielding of a shield? It seems like they should since you have fewer hands to attack with.

Sorry make that two: 0.9 manuals - while studying one does the relevant skill receive free extra xp, or is it just that more xp is diverted there instead of going into other skills?

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 14:04

Enoch wrote:Sorry make that two: 0.9 manuals - while studying one does the relevant skill receive free extra xp, or is it just that more xp is diverted there instead of going into other skills?

To follow up there: does the Sage card from a deck of wonders also give extra XP now, or does it still divert xp only?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 14:11

minstrel wrote:To follow up there: does the Sage card from a deck of wonders also give extra XP now, or does it still divert xp only?

Both. Half the gained XP is redirected to the sage skill with a multiplier bonus.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 14:56

Is there any way to enforce manual training (and not auto) for all my characters except of turning it on each time I start new game? A config file option maybe?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 16:18

hayenne wrote:Is there any way to enforce manual training (and not auto) for all my characters except of turning it on each time I start new game? A config file option maybe?

I believe that was in the works.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
hayenne

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 17:05

Can Vampires of Chei still get away with bat form like transmuters do with spider form? As in does the effect hurt bats?

Also do you think its possible to focus on a bat form fighter? As an extraordinarily EV based fighter? upgrading strength to compensate for the weakness of bats. Using gods for invocations and using little if any magic? maybe chei again or do his bonuses not apply when in bat form as armor melds

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 17:50

I don't know if you could possibly ever upgrade strength enough to melee as a bat. Their bite attack is pretty pathetic (as natural weapons go), and you don't get any bonuses from any gear but amulets to help with it. And no, you won't have any magic in bat form, either.

Gods and invocations, though, are another story. I know Vampires can use Makhleb's invocations with no restrictions in bat form, and I presume it's the same with other gods. I don't know if Chei's ponderous bonuses would work with armor melded, on the other hand. Someone who plays that god would have to answer that.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 18:55

If a treasure trove wants a +X,+Y weapon, will it accept a randart version of the weapon if the bonuses are at least as high?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 21:21

I thought naga transmuters of chei could still get away with spider form.

Also what the hell is a quokka? like a rat??

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 21:52

In popular culture

The roguelike game Dungeon Crawl includes the Quokka as one of the ungulate/quadruped monsters, represented by a 'q', and is the only extant species in that category. The in-game description simply states: "Don't call it a rat."

Alright, who added that little tidbit in there?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 22:01

bobross419 wrote:
In popular culture

The roguelike game Dungeon Crawl includes the Quokka as one of the ungulate/quadruped monsters, represented by a 'q', and is the only extant species in that category. The in-game description simply states: "Don't call it a rat."

Alright, who added that little tidbit in there?

lol idk but it's definitely represented by a white 'r'

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 15th September 2011, 23:16

hayenne wrote:Is there any way to enforce manual training (and not auto) for all my characters except of turning it on each time I start new game? A config file option maybe?

In the init-file you can uncomment the line

default_manual_training = true

You'll start with manual training from there on.

For this message the author Krag has received thanks: 6
bobross419, Daydreamer, dolphin, hayenne, MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 16th September 2011, 13:25

Im standing next to an OOD ettin on D5 who nearly mashed me in one hit the first time I met him. This time, (I came back to look for okawarus missing altar), I discovered my wand is one of enslavement. Now I am practically bleeding magic potions out of my ears, hasted, agile, mighty, berserked, etc...

How the hell do I force an attack on my own ally??? :|

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 16th September 2011, 13:34

Thanks, just figured it out.. And.. yeah. Im alive. With exactly one hitpoint. :oops:

Realized it was a bad idea when I stabbed him and he didnt immediately start bleeding out on the floor. Lucky me...

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 16th September 2011, 14:17

Following my manual training question, how can I edit config file for Sprint on CDO? :)

Sewers Scotsman

Post Friday, 16th September 2011, 17:23

As an XL13 SpEn with Short Blades at 2 (and no other weapon skills) is using a scroll of acquirement to obtain a weapon going to give me something useless?

Sewers Scotsman

Post Friday, 16th September 2011, 18:26

minmay wrote:No matter what your skills, most acquirements give you useless items. Weapon acquirement is better the earlier on you are (since it is more likely to give a weapon that's an upgrade from your current, crappy weapon). Armour acquirement is better the more slots you have filled (if you have an empty hat slot, expect to get a -2 cap or something). Wand acquirement is better if you the wands you don't want are identified, and worse if the wands you do want are identified.

The only acquirement where you can near-guarantee getting a specific item is staff acquirement: it has something like a 95% chance of giving you the staff matching your highest magic skill, provided that skill has a matching staff and you aren't already carrying that staff.
Finally, gold acquirement always gives at least 220 gold pieces.

Thanks for the detailed answer!

I went for weapon and got a +2 +2 dwarven crossbow of frost. Not ideal for for my SpEn of Ashenzari...

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 16th September 2011, 18:49

LOL, Trog was in charge of Acquirement dispensation. Crossbows are his 2nd favorite thing to gift, right behind anti-magic brands :D

Sewers Scotsman

Post Friday, 16th September 2011, 21:46

bobross419 wrote:LOL, Trog was in charge of Acquirement dispensation. Crossbows are his 2nd favorite thing to gift, right behind anti-magic brands :D

He's still there, then. Got another scroll of acquirement, went for weapons again, got another crossbow. Gambler's fallacy gets me every time.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 17th September 2011, 03:36

Does the necro/transloc spell Recall work on Oklob plants gained from Fedhas?

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 17th September 2011, 04:12

Confidence Interval wrote:
bobross419 wrote:LOL, Trog was in charge of Acquirement dispensation. Crossbows are his 2nd favorite thing to gift, right behind anti-magic brands :D

He's still there, then. Got another scroll of acquirement, went for weapons again, got another crossbow. Gambler's fallacy gets me every time.

lol my last trog game he gave me 3 antimagics and a crossbow

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 17th September 2011, 05:25

I just tried it, oklobs aren't recalled :P

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 17th September 2011, 14:39

Is there any reason to train invocations with a MDFi of Okawaru?

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 17th September 2011, 16:11

Increased success of Finesse and future move to TSO.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 17th September 2011, 16:45

bobross419 wrote:Increased success of Finesse and future move to TSO.

It's around 5 or so now but I plan on doing a 3rune run as I have not yet reached ascension so I was gonna stick to Okawaru.

Also my fighter has a high str now and god has given me a few gifts. I have been using a whip of electrocution (8,9) for a long time now (found it on D1) but He has given me some good weapons with a base damage of like 15 or 17. Weaker enchanted artifacts with no brand and (mostly, due to other gear) unnecessary enchantments except for special fights. Should I still use them? I realize the base damage for a whip is low but they are fast and it has nice enchantments by now and a good brand. Not really sure which one to use
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice