The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' thread

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 17:42

Re: The 'Questions too small to need their own thread' threa

Here I am, minding my business in an interdimensional bazaar, when a ghost of my former self rolls up and starts yelling at me through the translucent walls. Is this normal?

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 18:57

Hopefully your former self didn't know how to cast Airstrike...

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 21:00

What are good venom mage tips and guidelines? I'd to try one, but I've found in the past that they're powerful against non-resistant enemies, but can't really do anything against resistant enemies. Early game this is pretty much undead/phantoms/imps. Early undead isn't too much of an issue I suppose, and you can lure imps/phantoms up stairs wait for them to blink and go down stairs, but that's just a hassle. Any advice?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 10th June 2011, 22:45

Vm in my experience, work pretty well if you shut off poison magic right at the start. You're going to be dumping a lot into conjurations, and you'll probably get the book of ice/air if you go vehumet since you've almost certainly cast Mephitic like a billion times by the time you're getting gifts.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 06:26

Does the electrocution brand make noise when it procs? I didn't see any mention of this in the knowledge bot or wiki, but I read someone say in an old topic:
I'm still using a +3/+3 sabre of electrocution (and a +4/+2 sabre of speed when noise/water is an issue

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 11:48

since when are there hungry ghosts in a labyrinth? extra cruel
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

For this message the author slowcar has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 12:24

minmay wrote:Venom Bolt does (rather crappy, but still useful) damage to stuff with rPois+, such as undead and most demons. But it's probably better to hit them in melee, and branch into less narrow magic schools later.

If you get your Conj high via Sting and Venom Bolt, Mystic Blast and OOD can see you through as well. (Though it doesn't really address that poison is easy mode early and hard mode later.)

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 11th June 2011, 21:09

How does one rest in webtiles? Shift 5 does not seem to work.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 04:08

I've not tried webtiles myself, but "5" works on console/ascii so it should be the same for webtiles...

For this message the author hxy has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 17:14

How much does a speed brand reduce damage by? Is it literally 1/2?

Bots don't say precisely, as far as I can tell. (though it could just be me being blind...) :geek:
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 17:37

10%.

note that i'm not saying at which point of the rather complicated chain of calculations. because i don't know it.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

For this message the author absolutego has received thanks: 2
eharper256, MyOtheHedgeFox

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 19:16

blink with active teleport control in a floor that does not allow teleport control degenerates to... nothing. you get a message and waste a turn. is this intended behaviour? it seems rather silly that all you have to do (if you're getting the cTele intrinsic from a ring) is remove the ring and then get at least an uncontrolled blink.

i assume the same works for teleportation.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 12th June 2011, 20:34

If a monster is unaware of you because you have a lot of Stealth and you attack it, will you always be revealed by attacking? Can you have a high enough Stealth skill to remain hidden even after attacking?

Is there a way to define a "quiver" order? Say I am using a Sling and in my inventory I have stones, +0 sling bullets and +1 sling bullets. I want to use all of my worse ammunition first: stones then +0 bullets and last +1 bullets. So far all I can seem to do is quiver 1 ammunition and that's it.

Lastly, Say have a +1,+2 sword. I believe those numbers apply to to-hit and damage, but which ones apply to what?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 06:57

The wiki says that Cheibriados doesn't mind if you use Transmutation spells that increase your movement speed. Is that true?

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 07:21

yes, it's true but in 0.8 chei was nerfed, or rather spider form was nerfed - it keeps ponderousness of your armour now

For this message the author moekitten has received thanks:
Happy Corner

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 08:43

The wiki warns us not to cast Banishment on the royal jelly. (Although that's apparently no longer possible since Banishment was made monster-only in 0.8.) What would happen if you did?

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 08:59

without the spell you can banish trj with weapon of distortion or lugonu's ability, also it should be possible but unlikely with malign gateway and weapon with chaos brand, maybe there are other ways
if you don't kill trj you cannot get the rune without means to destroy stone walls like lrd/shatter, if you banish it you may need to find it in abyss and kill there, it's possible btw

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 10:41

minmay wrote:I have never seen that behavior. If it's actually present, that's a bug.

i can't replicate it on wizard mode.
that happened yesterday on zot:5. three blinks that degenerated to nothing, iirc. i took off the ring and then could blink. there were many safe squares in LOS in every case. i'll try again whenever i get there on my next online game. i honestly don't know what else could it be.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 10:52

absolutego wrote:
minmay wrote:I have never seen that behavior. If it's actually present, that's a bug.

i can't replicate it on wizard mode.
that happened yesterday on zot:5. three blinks that degenerated to nothing, iirc. i took off the ring and then could blink. there were many safe squares in LOS in every case. i'll try again whenever i get there on my next online game. i honestly don't know what else could it be.

I can reproduce it easily in wizmode. I'm pretty sure it's an unexpected consequence of c96808dc. I've told MarvinPA about it.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 13th June 2011, 11:10

ah, i had set the build to 0.8 for some reason.
thanks to you both.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 01:46

mrbobbyg wrote:How does one rest in webtiles? Shift 5 does not seem to work.

No ideas about webtiles, but sometimes Numlock (or similar) can affect this kind of thing...

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 08:37

moekitten wrote:yes, it's true but in 0.8 chei was nerfed, or rather spider form was nerfed - it keeps ponderousness of your armour now

Right on both counts - I feel like overall, ponderousness melding was a Chei buff (especially, for example, in Statue Form :))
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 10:52

Earlier I found an iridescent double sword in a transparent rock (or crystal - I forget) area, sitting on a teleport trap.
I now have digging, disintegrate and cTele. I don't have corruption, apportation, high-level earth, or -Tele yet.

Can I go back to get the sword or is it just there to tease me?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 11:30

dassem wrote:Earlier I found an iridescent double sword in a transparent rock (or crystal - I forget) area, sitting on a teleport trap.
I now have digging, disintegrate and cTele. I don't have corruption, apportation, high-level earth, or -Tele yet.

Can I go back to get the sword or is it just there to tease me?

You need LRD to break the walls. You don't even need a high power.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
dassem

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 12:12

When I'm blood sacrificing, sometimes it says "the (foo) is slowly consumed by flames" in white. Other times, the message is "The (foo) is consumed in a column of flame" in red.

Does the red message mean I was successfully awarded piety for the sacrifice? It tends to pop up more often when I sacrifice more badass creatures.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 12:37

Happy Corner wrote:Does the red message mean I was successfully awarded piety for the sacrifice?

Yes. You can also get "consumed in a roaring column of flame." if you get more than 1 piety at once.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Happy Corner

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 16:31

I'm trying to play a conjuration based caster, but I'm finding that my biggest issue is how easy it is most of the time, but also how quickly good fortune can turn around if you're not careful. I feel like most of the game I go on auto-pilot, just keep nuking and nuking till they're dead and move on. Early game it's magic dart and press the ~ key to do it again, just hold it down, rinse repeat. But then I get into a situation where that doesn't work, and I die.

My idea would be to start with a background where it requires you to be a little more careful who can transition into being a vehumet caster later. Transmuter, stalker, enchanter? I've been playing draconian wizards, but maybe playing a class not quite so spell oriented early on will make me be more careful and calculated so that I can survive long enough to play smart later.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 18:38

In a game on cao, I noticed and defeated Pikel on D:5. After fully exploring D:5, I proceeded to D:6, where I found a hostile slave. Do these exist without Pikel? I guess he fell down a shaft, but should he be hostile after I kill Pikel?

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 18:58

jejorda2 wrote:In a game on cao, I noticed and defeated Pikel on D:5. After fully exploring D:5, I proceeded to D:6, where I found a hostile slave. Do these exist without Pikel? I guess he fell down a shaft, but should he be hostile after I kill Pikel?

If true it sounds like either: a) a bug where they only check the current level for his slaves, or b) a feature where a slave on a different floor doesn't know his master is dead so he still does his best to kill you. Maybe both.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 21:55

XrBob wrote:I'm trying to play a conjuration based caster, but I'm finding that my biggest issue is how easy it is most of the time, but also how quickly good fortune can turn around if you're not careful. I feel like most of the game I go on auto-pilot, just keep nuking and nuking till they're dead and move on. Early game it's magic dart and press the ~ key to do it again, just hold it down, rinse repeat. But then I get into a situation where that doesn't work, and I die.

My idea would be to start with a background where it requires you to be a little more careful who can transition into being a vehumet caster later. Transmuter, stalker, enchanter? I've been playing draconian wizards, but maybe playing a class not quite so spell oriented early on will make me be more careful and calculated so that I can survive long enough to play smart later.

That's an interesting problem. I recommend Venom Mage. Their poison spells take care of most early monsters with ease, but there are a few that doesn't work on. They also lack Blink or Repel Missiles. Thus forcing you to be more careful than a Wizard. EDIT: Cool, I see above you're already familiar with them and some of their issues. So you won't be going into it blind!

Or, alternately, learn to not let your guard down like that. Shockingly enough, learning to deal with success is another obstacle of this game. I don't know how many of my own characters have ended up like "Wow, look how far I've gotten! Look at how much ass I'm kicking! ... uh oh! *pwned*".

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 23:16

Shade wrote:
jejorda2 wrote:In a game on cao, I noticed and defeated Pikel on D:5. After fully exploring D:5, I proceeded to D:6, where I found a hostile slave. Do these exist without Pikel? I guess he fell down a shaft, but should he be hostile after I kill Pikel?

If true it sounds like either: a) a bug where they only check the current level for his slaves, or b) a feature where a slave on a different floor doesn't know his master is dead so he still does his best to kill you. Maybe both.

It's been fixed in trunk.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 23:31

So in a subsequent game, I go down stairs and find myself surrounded by Pikel and some slaves. I go up and they follow me into a corridor where only one is adjacent to me. I go back down since I want to be able to run away but am blocked in, and now I see one hostile slave and one freed slave that is neutral. Pikel is still alive, since I haven't done any attacking yet.

What would free him?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 08:26

jejorda2 wrote:So in a subsequent game, I go down stairs and find myself surrounded by Pikel and some slaves. I go up and they follow me into a corridor where only one is adjacent to me. I go back down since I want to be able to run away but am blocked in, and now I see one hostile slave and one freed slave that is neutral. Pikel is still alive, since I haven't done any attacking yet.

What would free him?

Maybe a bug. What version are you playing? Can you retell the story again telling from which level you go to which one and who follows you each time? It's a bit hard to follow.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 08:41

FWIW, I've seen this in 0.9 - a neutral freed slave on a level where Pikel has been left elsewhere, but still alive. It did seem odd at the time but I didn't think "bug". Oops!
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 10:43

galehar wrote:
Happy Corner wrote:Does the red message mean I was successfully awarded piety for the sacrifice?

Yes. You can also get "consumed in a roaring column of flame." if you get more than 1 piety at once.

is it similar for the Abyss message (pops into the Abyss=0, some effect as he pops into the abyss=1)?
A troll caster is a hybrid

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 11:34

RFHolloway wrote: is it similar for the Abyss message (pops into the Abyss=0, some effect as he pops into the abyss=1)?

Yes. Lugonu's messages are:
"disappear into the void."
"consumed by the void."
"voraciously consumed by the void."

To see the list of all the messages for all the gods, check religion.cc:99.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 11:38

galehar wrote:Maybe a bug. What version are you playing? Can you retell the story again telling from which level you go to which one and who follows you each time? It's a bit hard to follow.

It was on CAO with a CeFE, version 0.8.0-3-g99ea1d1. The morgue is here. Pikel was spotted on turn 5871. That may be enough info to watch it on footv, but here is a recap:

Cleared and explored D3.
Followed first two staircases to D4 and didn't see anything noteworthy, came straight back up to D3 after each descent. I want to know where all the up stairs are on D4 so I can retreat easily.
Approached unexplored third staircase from D3 to D4 that looked something like this:
  Code:
D3

#####
...>#
#####

Followed stairs to D4 to find myself surrounded by Pikel's gang, something like this: (P is player, @ are slaves)
  Code:
D4

..@...
.KP@.@
.@@...

Retreated up to D3, since that is too much to handle. It looked something like this:
  Code:
D3

#####
@K@P#
#####

I've lost a third of my hitpoints ascending the stairs, so I can't take them all on in the corridor. I haven't identified my scrolls, so my best bet is to go down the stairs and use centaur speed to get away.

When I get downstairs, it looks like this. The closer slave, who must have followed me down the stairs, is hostile. The farther one is neutral, and is labeled "freed slave." (Or maybe "free slave," I don't recall precisely.)
  Code:
D4

..P@.@

I run away and do other things, and when I come to the area again, the freed slave fights and kills the slave still under Pikel's thrall. The freeman falls to some of Eustachio's summons, I think. IIRC, I found his corpse while running away from that mob.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 12:33

This behaviour is still present in trunk. It's not really a bug, since it's an intentional hack that dates back before we properly handle freeing slaves off-level. This will probably be reverted soon.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 14:28

The learndb says that blurry vision disables passive scanning for traps. What does "passive" mean? Can I still find traps by resting/searching?
Also, does failing to learn a spell due to blurry vision trigger the Annihilation/Necronomicon/Grand Grimoire backlash?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 15:03

What are the general opinions on finding an early vampiric weapon? Worth it to use or stash until late-game?
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 15:37

asdu wrote:The learndb says that blurry vision disables passive scanning for traps. What does "passive" mean? Can I still find traps by resting/searching?

Yes. It only disable the search done when doing anything else but resting.

asdu wrote:Also, does failing to learn a spell due to blurry vision trigger the Annihilation/Necronomicon/Grand Grimoire backlash?

No it doesn't. You just waste a turn, that's all.

tcjsavannah wrote:What are the general opinions on finding an early vampiric weapon? Worth it to use or stash until late-game?

It really depends on which build and which weapon and what are you other choices. An obvious big yes for DD. For other species, it's useful and certainly better than no brand.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 15:55

tcjsavannah wrote:What are the general opinions on finding an early vampiric weapon? Worth it to use or stash until late-game?

IMO, if it's a good weapon (e.g. a katana, broad axe, double sword or somesuch) switch to it and don't look back (assuming low weapon skill isn't going to hurt you too much) as vampiric is a great brand, if it's an ok or mediocre weapon and you don't yet have something better, use it and in the meantime hoard weapons of the type you're interested in, then ID them in big batches to minimize the amount of permafood that will cost you.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 16th June 2011, 07:22

Is it worth keeping Unarmed Combat on (and sinking XP into it) if you're a Minotaur? That horn attack is cute, and I HAVE seen it do damage, but I'm still not sure exactly how much it's worth investing in.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 16th June 2011, 10:51

Happy Corner wrote:Is it worth keeping Unarmed Combat on (and sinking XP into it) if you're a Minotaur? That horn attack is cute, and I HAVE seen it do damage, but I'm still not sure exactly how much it's worth investing in.

The base damage of unarmed attacks scales with your skilled level, so at low skill levels that horn attack is basically an extra club attack every now and then if you haven't been keeping your skills up. Once monsters start having more AC, this will rarely do damage worth noting, and your other combat skills or evocations are probably going to be more cost-effective. On the other hand, unarmed combat will train so irregularly that you won't lose much xp to it anyway, so you can turn off the skill or leave it on as you prefer and it probably won't affect anything much for good or for ill. Just don't disarm yourself and try to victory dance it, because auxiliary attacks certainly aren't worth that kind of investment until you've maxed out everything else.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Happy Corner

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 16th June 2011, 18:39

How on earth do you get Kiku to accept sacrifices? I've dropped corpses on Kiku's altars and hit 'p' to pray, but it never says anything about a sacrifice, and the corpse is never touched.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 16th June 2011, 18:54

I must have misread then. Good to know, thanks!
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice