Giving items to followers

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 21:05

Giving items to followers

I'm new to DCSS, but so far I've been able to figure out everything thanks to the help files and this board. Really helpful!

However, I'm having trouble figuring out how to give items to my followers. I'm a HOFi of Beogh, have a couple of named followers and some good artefacts I'm not using myself. I just cannot figure out how to give these to them. It used to be Ctrl-T, but that apparently got removed since it is not in the manual anymore. The release notes for .15 tell me that I should be able to give them directly, but after turning the manual inside out and looking online, I've found nothing that tells me how to actually do this. I'm probably overlooking something really obvious, can you help me out?

Playing 0.15.1 locally, tiles version.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 21:31

Re: Giving items to followers

Hey man, I moved your thread to Dungeon Crawling Advice, because I think it will get more views that way. (I believe more people check this forum than Technical Support.)

Unfortunately, I haven't played Beogh anytime recently, so I don't know the answer off the top of my head. :|

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 21:35

Scratch that, figured it out in wizmode.

If you hit a, this will bring up the abilities menu, and there should be an option "give weapon to named orcish follower." There are some limitations on the ability: You can only give a weapon to a named orc, not just a low-level one, and also you can only give one item to each (named) orcish follower.

Hope that helps!

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Concrete

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 21:41

and into wrote:Scratch that, figured it out in wizmode.

If you hit a, this will bring up the abilities menu, and there should be an option "give weapon to named orcish follower." There are some limitations on the ability: You can only give a weapon to a named orc, not just a low-level one, and also you can only give one item to each (named) orcish follower.

Hope that helps!

I believe this only occurs at 5*+ piety.

For this message the author ackack has received thanks:
Concrete

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 22:12

I have a related question. How can I make them use the ranged weapons I give them? They are doing just fine with x-bows gifted directly by beogh, but they switch back to their standard equipment when I gift them x-bows manually.

Is it because they don't have ammo by default? How do I make them pick up ammo?

(A warlord with an x-bow is pretty much the elite of the orcish race btw, aside from you, the orc saviour, ofc).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th December 2014, 22:46

You don't make them pick up ammo. They can't use ranged weapons you give them any more afaik.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 03:10

Nvm, I just bought a handcrosbow from a shop and gifted it to a named orc and he automatically got a stack of 20 botls (in trunk).

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 19th December 2014, 06:24

ackack wrote:
and into wrote:Scratch that, figured it out in wizmode.

Hope that helps!

I believe this only occurs at 5*+ piety.

Maybe that's true. I'm at 4* and I cannot remember seeing it in the abilities menu. Regardless, I now know it should be in the abilities menu, thanks for helping me figure this out!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice